Quick Post

Canidae to be made by Diamond

Canidae to be made by Diamond
  •  I have never used their stuff but in a comversation with a high end dog food store owner she divulged that she was ceasing to carry Canidae because of the switch.  She also doesn't sell Solid Gold because they are made by Diamond

Didn't say who makes Timberwolf but said they are changing their production company AGAIN

• OK, I was using Canidae, then switched to Blue Buffalo but didn't like they way his coat started to look and his poop was loose, and now I'm back to Canidae...

What's so bad about Diamond? Are they they company w/ all the recalls? Should I switch to something else?

• I find this a little hard to believe. Canidae just built a new plant a couple years ago.They've always been independent, even their canned was made by Evangers (not Menu). I don't see why they'd switch to Diamond.

Diamond had recalls and deaths a few years ago due to aflatoxin from corn.

•  Others will likely chime in but yea Diamond was involved in he recalls - I have been using Solid Gold even though it is made by Diamond.  I am not ultra twitchy about these things but the manufacturer of foods is a good thing to know

DanielleNY I have no other info and cannot verify this info - this store owner said she is discontinuing selling it because of the switch.  Perhaps others will chime in to support or debunk it

•  One might remember we are talking about two different things here.  There are foods that are made in Diamond facilities.  They dictate recipes, manufacturing practices, have their own quality control teams - their food just happens to be made on dedicated equipment in Diamond owned plants.  This helps keep food costs down for small niche food companies.  If this weren't possible, we wouldn't have nearly the variety of reasonably priced premium foods that we have today.

Then there are Diamond brand foods.  These include Diamond, Chicken Soup, Kirkland, TOTW, and several other mostly medium to low grade house and feed store brands and whatnot.

I'm guessing Canidae will fall into the former group, rather than being merged into the Diamond brand family.  It would be sort of odd since they already offer the "Naturals" line, plus Chicken Soup, plus TOTW.  Canidae would be redundant.  Naturals is cheaper with similar ingredient profiles, Chicken Soup is more into the kitchen sink philosophy, and TOTW is grain free, but very close to the same price if you factor in kcals per dollar.

In spite of the aflatoxin fiasco, I trust Diamond more than, say, Nutro.  Right now the BCs are eating TOTW and the guard dogs are eating Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete.   Neither contain corn.  I'll be switching the BCs to 100% homemade over the next several months, but the reason is related to kibbles as a whole as a way to feed my dogs, rather than anything related specifically to Diamond.  Probably I'll start feeding the Maremmas TOTW - I'll try it, anyway.  They are doing really well on the EA though, it's tempting to leave well enough alone.

• I'll never again trust Diamond.
  • kpwlee - - I did hear from a store owner about a month ago that a Canidae rep, when he was at the store informing of her of the upcoming change to Canidae Lamb and Rice, that Canidae is changing manufacturing plant.  I should have asked for more clarification but I didn't think much about it then because I was so annoyed with the change in Canidae Lamb and Rice to include barley, rice bran (grain fraction), and etc.

It now makes sense to have Diamond manufacturers their products (especially the Canidae Lamb and Rice).  For a few days now I had been wondering how it could be cost effective for Canidae, by itself, to buy cracked pearled barley, rice bran, millet, peas, tomato pomace (all the new supposedly "good" stuff to diversify the grain content) just for their Canidae Lamb and Rice.  Well, with Diamond in the picture, it is cost effective for Canidae!!

I am bracing for the time when Canidae makes changes to Canidae ALS. 

We shall see if Canidae can still keep its record of never having any product recalls.......

• You understand, again, that I'm just pointing these things out because I have great respect for the power of the internet to spread incorrect information around, even in light of obvious evidence to the contrary.  I have no horse in this race as I'll not be feeding my crew any kibble soon, as I've lost my faith in kibble in general.

First, no premium Diamond kibble has ever been implicated in a recall.  They got caught out with their corn products.  In a way, I feel better about that (as opposed to the Menu Foods issue) because it revealed a situation with corn that was relatively easily rectified, the corrections are easily verifiable, and Diamond is now having to dot all its i's and cross its t's.  The same is not true for many brands of premium canned foods, who continue to use Menu Foods, and there's no way for us to know for sure that the same thing is happening again, without extreme measures.

Canidae is changing manufacturing plant.

It now makes sense to have Diamond manufacturers their products (especially the Canidae Lamb and Rice).  For a few days now I had been wondering how it could be cost effective for Canidae, by itself, to buy cracked pearled barley, rice bran, millet, peas, tomato pomace (all the new supposedly "good" stuff to diversify the grain content) just for their Canidae Lamb and Rice.  Well, with Diamond in the picture, it is cost effective for Canidae!!

In your first statement, Canidae would be joining many premium foods who use Diamond's facilities.  In your second statement, you imply that Canidae would be in such a relationship to Diamond that they'd be getting ingredients for them, or Diamond would be supplying them, or they'd be using the same sources.  The second idea doesn't follow from the first idea. 

Rather than imagining some evil collusion between Diamond and Canidae to cheat us and threaten the health of our dogs, possibly Canidae is simplifying its processes in preparation for re-outsourcing.  Feed prices have gone up 30 to 50% across the board - possibly Canidae is looking for other options to trimming costs, besides passing them on to you, since their "niche" has always been "The super premium food with the reasonable price."

• brookcove

Canidae is changing manufacturing plant.

In your first statement, Canidae would be joining many premium foods who use Diamond's facilities.  In your second statement, you imply that Canidae would be in such a relationship to Diamond that they'd be getting ingredients for them, or Diamond would be supplying them, or they'd be using the same sources.  The second idea doesn't follow from the first idea. 

For me, what I said makes sense to me....lol. 

Yes, I am making assumption that Diamond will or is buying the source ingredients for Canidae (like Diamond is buying the source ingredients for Costco Kirkland brand as I was told when I called the diamond pet food customer service phone number listed on costco kirkland bags early in 2007).  I also was being sarcastic about those new ingredients being the good stuff (except possibly millet) since my lab will itch more eating barley.  I understand trying to be more cost effective but I am particularly sensitive to any company with history of food recalls since I had a healthy lab with no history of any illness who suddenly died of kidney failure in 2003.  Anyway, my statement was not intended to offend anyone. 

And, with a little baby at home, there is no way I can homecook or feed raw to my current lab.

• I switched Bubblegum when I got her from Diamond to Eagle Pack...and I feed Gibson Ealge naturally....but I agree with Bookcove... I trust the Diamond Plant more than some of these other companies such as Nutro.  First..I believe that what happened there with the aflatoxin thing...they set up new quality control standards. But I don't believe that Diamond will be making the Canidea...Canidea will be making it at a Diamond plant.

•  So that's an excellent example.  Kirkland is actually a Diamond brand.  There are other foods, however, who simply rent Diamond equipment.  It would be like saying that a major league baseball team who trains in a college ballpark in the off season, is necessarily going to adopt their playbook.  They are just using the facilities, not buying into their game plan.

• I have to agree with Becca here, lets not be alarmist and spread incorrect information. The aflatoxin situation is different from the recalls of last year first off, and using diamond dedicated equiptment is a completely different thing then diamond making the food.
  • If there's any contamination at the plant than any food made there is subject to contamination. As for Diamond, I wouldn't have lost trust in them if they had pulled their CS foods. I had a dog on CS, he got extremely ill, my vet had other clients with dogs getting sick on CS, I contacted Diamond and got their standardized answer - because there's no corn in it, it's safe. I did my own research and I found out that aflotoxins prefer corn, but will bind to rice. If I could find that out, there's no reason Diamond's staff couldn't have found that out, and then, combined with reports of dogs on CS being sick, pulled the food. Even if they only pulled it as a precaution. Their lack of research, their lack of interest in taking action makes me uncomfortable with any product that's made there.
  • corgipower
    I contacted Diamond and got their standardized answer - because there's no corn in it, it's safe. I did my own research and I found out that aflotoxins prefer corn, but will bind to rice. If I could find that out, there's no reason Diamond's staff couldn't have found that out, and then, combined with reports of dogs on CS being sick, pulled the food. Even if they only pulled it as a precaution. Their lack of research, their lack of interest in taking action makes me uncomfortable with any product that's made there.

I think the thing is when you contacted them, you were probably talking to a CS person that just doesn't know what to say.  I'm not sure what CS is...but I do remember them doing the right thing by pulling their food and I believe the media didn't help get it across to the pet owners until it was too late.

Do you know that aflotoxins are in a lot of things such as other grains, peanuts, walnuts and possibly even your peanut butter?

• dyan

I'm not sure what CS is...?

Chicken Soup, which they never pulled, because according to them it couldn't be a problem since it didn't have corn in it.