Quick Post

Satin Balls

Satin Balls
  •  Ok I found the recipe and Friday i'm going to go buy everything to make it.

Now I just want to know if there's anything special I need to know about them. It mentioned putting the satin balls in 10 1quart freezer bags. Do I feed Lillie one bag throughout the day? How long should I feed them to her?  

• A BAG? I wouldn't! They're not a meal, but a healthy, fatty, nutrient dense snack. I'd feed her like... 3-4 meatballs per day.  These are not balanced nutrition. They're very helpful, for dogs who need a boost (and  great for the coat!). She's a puppy, so feeding a lot of unbalanced food is probably not the best bet.

•  Ok thanks. I didnt want to be giving her too much. Havent started it yet. Going friday to get everthing. It just said on the website to put the satin balls in freezer bags and never mentioned how much to give them. So a quart bag should last a week?

• How much weight does she need to gain?  I'd just be careful you don't make her sick with that stuff.

•  She needs to gain 15 lbs. The vet and I also want to get her hipbones covered. I want to try to show her but no way that's going to happen with bones protruding.

•  

Here are pics of her hips. 

• She's a gorgeous color!  Did the vet suggest anything to help with the weight gain? 

•  Satin balls are a fav of my old vet believe it or not!  Start with maybe 4 oz a day, work up to (I'm guessing) 7 oz divided in two snacks or  to top two meals until you achieve your desired condition, then reduce the SB until weight gain stops.  I had a really hard keeper who went for about six months of taking about a third of her calories from this recipe with no harm - she was so underweight it was truly unhealthy until we got her over the "habit" of undereating, with this.  Once we spayed her, I was able to go back to just shoveling in normally huge amounts of food.  Good luck.  I've been there and understand your frustration.

• If that coat were any shinier, it might blind you. She looks great! She's obviously doing well, aside from the boniness (which is probably a lot to do with age). I hope she enjoys her satin balls. They're fine to give (in smaller quantities, of course!) to the other dogs, too.They'll make the coats look nice. Good fat is so important for dogs. I think it's great that you're supplementing her kibble, so much. It's probably what's got her looking so beautifulSmile 

•  Thanks guys. Her coat is in great condition. I wish her body condition was as great. Her coat started to really shine when I added eggs. Plus I dont know if I'm supposed to or not but I use pantene prov shampoo on her. I've tried dog shampoos but they dont do as good as the human shampoo. I understand that I should be able to see or feel her ribs but it's the hipbones that I dont like to see.

I have been giving her a cup of rice in her kibble and a frozen chicken leg. Can I do that all the time or should I stop at some time. Wish me luck on the Satin Balls!! 

• Ick!   I'd be VERY CAREFUL about using Satin Balls to put weight on an otherwise healthy dog, especially a young dog.  I got my dog from a numbskull "rescuer" (I use the term sarcastically) who nearly killed my dog after using Satin Balls to try to fatten him up.  In speaking to other rescuers who have cared for underweight and emaciated dogs, most will usually use puppy chow, frequent small feedings and lean protein sources (egg whites, lean chicken, baby food meats) to slowly get the dog up to weight.  A high fat meal can send a dog into pancreatitis and quite possibly kill it.

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=23&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MODE=full

You might try canned puppy food and feed 4-5 small meals throughout the day if you're able to rather than trying the Satin Balls.  To this day, my dog has a sensitivity to fat and probably always will. 

• That's what I was worried about too--all that fat all of a sudden like that. 

•  Well if I give her a little bit at a time that shouldnt hurt her right?

• I'm afraid to ask...what are "satin balls"?
  • If it's the recipe that includes 10 lbs of cheap hamburger and 1 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, I'd go other routes first.  My concern with that recipe would be that the fiber could possibly stave off diarrhea but the fat might still trigger a pancreatic issue but you might not know it until it's too late.  This part in particular, has me avoiding high fat meats and additive for both of my dogs:

Symptoms associated with pancreatitis may be obscure and mild or very clear and severe. Some dogs recover completely with appropriate medical therapy and dietary modifications, whereas others die from severe illness and secondary complications. The course of pancreatitis is usually unpredictable, and may be slow.

Complications of pancreatitis include shock, inflammation and fluid accumulation within the abdomen, sepsis, respiratory compromise, heart arrhythmias, liver and kidney failure, and abnormal bleeding and clotting. Chronic recurrent pancreatitis, pancreatic abscesses, diabetes mellitus, and insufficiency of pancreatic enzyme secretion also may be caused by chronic pancreatitis. The presence of one or more of these problems worsens the dog's chance of recovery.

Diagnosis:
    A presumptive diagnosis of pancreatitis can be made based on a history and physical examination. In particular, significant risk factors such as obesity, or the recent ingestion of a high fat meal, may warrant a suspicion of pancreatitis. The examining veterinarian will perform other tests to confirm this diagnosis and to help determine the cause of the illness.

In rehabbing my emaciated rescue, he was placed on a high fiber, low fat food and fed very frequently (5-6 meals/day at first).  As he slowly improved, I added hard-boiled eggs, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and salmon.  I had to be (and still am) on vigilant poop patrol to watch for any sign of diarrhea or distress.  Recently trying to up his intake of beef made him a little loose, so I'm sticking with lean chicken and turkey and fish for him.

If you're determined to try to Satin Balls (10 lbs. is a real lot), I would give a 1 tsp. ball maybe every 3rd day and watch her reaction very closely for the signs listed in the link, panting, bloating, diarrhea, etc.  It can go south real fast and cost you a ton in vet bills to deal with a pancreatic episode. 

I still vote for puppy food and frequent small meals.  Big Smile