Quick Post

blue buffalo vs canidae

blue buffalo vs canidae

• i feed my 7 mo old golden puppy blue buffalo large breed puppy food.  i read so much about canidae here i am tempted to switch.  does anyone know why one would be better than the other?  thanks.
  • I used to reccomend Blue Buff until the Food Recall occurred.
    I lost faith after that. I would choose Canidae any day though (if I still fed commercial food).
  • I have never fed Blue Buffalo, but I am super satisfied with Canidae.......Innova a close second....
  • I don't feed either for a number of reasons, but I would highly recommend Canidae over Blue Buffalo.
  • I use both...and Innova.  All three are fine foods.
  • I like Canidae All Life Stages.   I think ingredient wise, they are quite equal (except I don't know what Tomato Pomace is used for in Blue Buffalo...some folks think it is a filler and why not use dried tomatoes or tomatoes instead of the pomace).

Price wise............. I think you can the most for your money with Canidae.

P.S.
    I pay $29.99 for 40lb of Canidae ALS in Phoenix (at a feed store).
  • I don't know how true it is, but they used to tell us that many of the vitamins and minerals were in the skin of fruits and veggies, or at the least, nearer the surface.

Remember, the entire Blue line was developed because the Blue owners dog suffered from cancer.  He started researching and learning and formulating ideas, hired a vet nutritionalists, etc, etc, etc.  I would think that tomatoe pomace would be a good source of fiber and likely other stuff too.  That's the one ingredient that I never got a satisfactory answer on.
  • Pomace is a by product of processing tomatoes.  It's got high concentration of something in it, I forget what, that is excellent for, I think eye health.  How's that for a nice educated answer.  [:D]  I'd prefer it to beet pulp as a fiber source, personally, but it must be a bit spendier because it's not seen as often.
  • ORIGINAL: sskbreed

i feed my 7 mo old golden puppy blue buffalo large breed puppy food.  i read so much about canidae here i am tempted to switch.  does anyone know why one would be better than the other?  thanks.

Isn`t a Golden like a GSD a medium size but on the upper end of medium?
  • Blue Buffalo isn't bad.  We were feeding it to the rott mix until I started ordering timberwolf for my puppy and now it's just easier to order his food along with.  I did read alot of reviews of dogs that had stomach issues with it but didn't experience any trouble and we switched him to it from iams over only 2 days.  If I had a choice though I'd use canidae.  I think it has slightly better ingredients and here it's actually cheaper than blue buffalo if you can find it.
  • I have tried both and we stuck with Canidae ALS... Blue gave Pyper upset tummy and loose stool.. just didn't agree with her at all.. I do think it has the proabotics and other digestive enzymes that Canidae offers... She may be able to handle it now, she was a baby when we were trying to find the right holistic blend...
  • Isn`t a Golden like a GSD a medium size but on the upper end of medium?

Any dog weighing more than 50 pounds is classified as a large breed, and I've seen Goldens and GSD's that easily weighed more than 70 pounds. [:)]

Tomato pomace is a good source of lycopene.
  • i think all goldens weigh more than 50 lbs.  and i know they have a tendency towards hip dusplagia which i believe large breed puppy food is supposed to help prevent.
  • It's got high concentration of something in it, I forget what, that is excellent for, I think eye health. How's that for a nice educated answer

Lutein?
  • ORIGINAL: glenmar

I don't know how true it is, but they used to tell us that many of the vitamins and minerals were in the skin of fruits and veggies, or at the least, nearer the surface.

Remember, the entire Blue line was developed because the Blue owners dog suffered from cancer.  He started researching and learning and formulating ideas, hired a vet nutritionalists, etc, etc, etc.  I would think that tomatoe pomace would be a good source of fiber and likely other stuff too.  That's the one ingredient that I never got a satisfactory answer on.

ORIGINAL: jennie_c_d

It's got high concentration of something in it, I forget what, that is excellent for, I think eye health. How's that for a nice educated answer

Lutein?

Okay... I am not trying to be a smart ass but I am a consultant by profession and I like to read between the lines....
    Here are the questions that I can't figure out:
    (1) If tomatoe pomace is so high in lutein and therefore good for eye health, how come we, humans, don't eat the tomatoe pomace?  Why do we feed them to our dogs?
    (2) Why don't other manufacturers, who use tomatoes or tomatoe powder in their formulas, use tomatoe pomace instead?
    (3) If it is not a filler, or at least that NOT everyone agrees with the benefit of the ingredient (like we all agree that blueberries are awesome and don't need to be explained) why do some manufacturers who use tomatoe pomace need to explain the goodness of the ingredient like the way they explain menadione?          
               tomatoe pomace (source of lutein/lycopene)
               menadione (source of vitamin K activity)

Don't flame me...inquiring mind wants to know.

P.S.
    On my ketchup bottle, it also says that it has lycopene, therefore good for my health  I should probably eat more ketchup (and maybe I should squirt some to my dog's food)...lol.  I am sorry, it is getting late at night and I getting tired.