Quick Post

My dog always wants to eat

My dog always wants to eat
  • This is very unfamiliar territory for me but Maggie, my Great Pyr, always wants to eat.  Now she's got me thinking I'm not feeding her enough.  I feed them Canidae and it says 2-3 cups for adult dogs at her weight and 4-5 for puppies her weight.  I'm pretty sure the bag
    says puppies are 6months or younger.  She is 8 months.  Should I feed her the puppy amound since she's always hungry.  She is not overweight and possibly a little underweight.  I think she looks fine but there is a lot of fur.  She weighs about 70lbs now.  She was underweight when we got her but has steadily gained.  She makes a run for the cat food whenever the opportunity comes along.  She eats so fast like she's starving then desperately tries to get into the other room where I feed Sampson.    She gets regular exercise even though she doesn't always want it.
  • My dogs both always want to eat. That means absolutely nothing. When I got Teenie, she weighed almost twice what she does, now (she was 23.5 pounds, now she's 12.3). Emma will eat until she vomits (which she did, recently).

If she's not losing weight, don't increase her food. A fat puppy is the last thing you want. Make her food more interesting. It'll be more satisfying if she has to work to get it. Freeze her food, with a couple tablespoons of applesauce or yogurt, in a Kong. Put it in a busy ball, or a buster cube. Hide it all around the yard, and let her search for it. Have her do silly tricks for each little kibble. Don't feed her out of a bowl, and she'll be less "starving".
  • This is very unfamiliar territory for me but Maggie, my Great Pyr, always wants to eat. Now she's got me thinking I'm not feeding her enough. I feed them Canidae and it says 2-3 cups for adult dogs at her weight and 4-5 for puppies her weight. I'm pretty sure the bag
    says puppies are 6months or younger. She is 8 months

I agree with Jennie; it's normal for a dog to want to eat all the time, Jessie's the same way. However, your dog may still be a puppy since she's a large breed; is she still growing? I think you should ask the breeder you got her from or the vet  if she's still a puppy. Some large breeds aren't an adult until they're 18 months old.
  • I constantly would check in with my Vet at different ages to reasure myself that the amount I was feeding my dog was correct becasue he to is a food mongrel!![;)]  Just today, we had a barbeque and my friends left a dozen hamburger and hotdog rolls on the table (I didnt' realize it) and River go into them when we weren't there and ate ALL OF THEM, bags and all!!! 

He is 2.5 now and 140 pounds and we only feed two cups in the morn and 2 cups at night.  He was getting feed 2 cups three times a day until he reached 10 months old.  It depends on the size of your dog and your Vets recommendation how much you should feed.  What I do now is don't follow the bags directions and you are feeding a good quaility food - which is excellant.

Don't worry about him always wanting to eat, some dogs are just like that.