Quick Post

Dog gets sick after eating

Dog gets sick after eating
  • About 15 minutes after Akiko eats, she feels sick. She doesn't vomit but I can tell by the look on her face and her body language that she is in pain. She goes and lays down for a long time, her nose is very hot and dry. This has been happening every night. Once her food has had time to digest she starts to improve. During the day she is energetic and seems just fine. She has had problems with runny poop ever since we got her. When we got her she had a bad case of whipworms, but she is on interceptor now so that shouldn't be it. She is eating Solid Gold Holistic Blendz with raw meat mixed in and sometimes an egg yolk. I want to get her off of this food asap. Does this sound like allergies? IBS? Can anyone recommend a good food that is grain free, with a single protein source? She was eating Blue Buffalo, but had runny poop on that too. I also tried raw, but it seemed like I always had to put yogurt and canned pumpkin in her food to keep her normal. Some days her poop is fine, even though she is eats the same thing every night, but most of the time it is at least soft. If I take her to the vet can they do an allergy test? What kinds of things should I ask them to test for?
  • I'd simplify things, right now. If you want to feed kibble, pick one and feed *just* that for a little bit, to see how she does. If you want to feed raw, pick a meat and feed *just* that. She probably needs time to stabilize. Add in new things one at a time, to see what's causing the problem. It does sound like something's really bothering her, but there's no telling what it is. 
  • Is it possible she's just eating too much and/or too fast? How often do you feed her?
  • Is it possible she's just eating too much and/or too fast? How often do you feed her?

this is what I was thinking.. like she is gulping....

does she eat fast?

•   I don't think this is food allergies. It is also more likely to be caused from the raw meat than by the Solid Gold. You need to have the vet check her.
  • This does sound lie overfeeding. don't forget you'll be drastically bumping up the protein ratio of the food by adding the raw meat to the Holstique. If you are feeding the recommended amount of the Holistique AND raw meat on top of that, then that's going to be way too much.
  • If you are feeding the recommended amount of the Holistique AND raw meat on top of that, then that's going to be way too much.

I am feeding 2 cups kibble, 1 cup meat for a 55lb dog. The bag was recommended 4 cups, that seemed like too much.

How often do you feed her?

Once a day- she won't eat in the morning.

does she eat fast?

Maybe a little fast, if that is the cause I guess there is not much I can do?

It is also more likely to be caused from the raw meat than by the Solid Gold.

I don't believe the raw meat would cause problems.

I guess I will stick with the solid gold for now, whoever said to simplify things was probably right. I'm glad it doesn't sound like allergies though.

• ORIGINAL: Raven778944

I am feeding 2 cups kibble, 1 cup meat for a 55lb dog. The bag was recommended 4 cups, that seemed like too much.

That still might be too much, unless she's very active.  My pets typically eat about half of what is "recommended", without adding any extras.  If you add meat to that, you need to reduce the amount of kibble further. Since she's eating only once a day, I suspect she is simply very full after that big meal. 
  • That seems to me like a very large volume of food for that size dog.

If she needs that much to keep at a good weight, I'd definitely try splitting it into two meals.  If she won't eat breakfast, then how about part of it when you get home from work and the rest later in the evening?  I'd really worry about bloat feeding that much at once.
  • have you had a vet check, including a poop exam for jolly things like giardia that can cause persistent diarrhea? or maybe she has ulcers or something.
  • jazzie at 10 weeks old had all these symptoms, sick after eating and runny poops but apart from that he was as lively as a pup should be, in the early hours one morning he was rolling in agony on the floor I immediately phoned the vets and had to take him in ....he had a stomach muscle spasm and had to have a jab to calm his gut.
    Tests were carried out and the answer was Colitus, we have changed his diet to wheat and gluten free dried food and also he has raw meaty bones and no titbits apart from a tripe stick, since then he has been perfect but really do have to watch what he eats and he still has FOUR small meals a day as we cant overload his tummy, dont want to frighten you but thought this may help.

Good Luck!!
  • I agree with mudpuppy.  She needs to be  checked to make sure it isn't a medical problem.  I have never had any problems like with my dogs, but if I did I would think stomach problems of some kind.  Wishing you luck.
  • Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me what would be a good amount to feed her? I don't want to overfeed... She walks about 4 miles per day. The bag says to feed so much; when I was feeding Blue Buffalo canned it said to feed 3 1/3 12.5oz cans! Way too much.
  • I don't believe the raw meat would cause problems

What I meant was if she wasn't used to raw meat and you didn't introduce it slowly, it would cause digestive problems. Jessie eats raw meat too but I started by giving her a small amount until her system was used to it. Do you balance the phosphorus in the meat?  When you feed her in the morning, is it just dry food? Maybe you could add meat to her kibble in the morning to get her to eat it so she could have her food split into 2 meals a day. I hope you find out what the problem is and she feels better soon.

Edited to add; Jessie is walked about three miles a day and weighs about 62 pounds. I feed her about 750 calories a day, including kibble and meat.
  • is she at a good weight? can you easily feel ribs?   every dog has unique needs as far as how much to feed. Feeding about half of what the bag suggests, which is what you are doing, is a good place to start. Note that feeding a lot of bone-free meat can cause soft stools.