Quick Post

Food & Bowel Movements

Food & Bowel Movements
  • Does the kind of food a dog eats affect the number of bowel movements a dog would have?  Rory is on Artemis Puppy and I thought she was doing okay on it, nice coat, skin doesnt seem dry, clean ears, but for the past month or so she's been pooping like 4 times a day (sometimes more).  She was only going twice a day.   Could this be the food?  I'm at the end of the bag and I am wondering if I should try somethinge else.  Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Just seems like a lot of poop for a little dog.

• Could you be feeding her too much of it? Try cutting back the portions a little.
  • IME overfeeding causes soft or liquid stool, not more frequent movements, unless, of course, its explosive.

I'm not familar with the ingredients of this food, but it's a good bet that yeah, the food is the cause of the increase in poop. 

• *shrug* just throwing the idea out there.
  • jenn52

Does the kind of food a dog eats affect the number of bowel movements a dog would have?

Not sure ... I would think the number of BMs has more to do with both quantity and frequency of feedings.

Do you know how fast his food transit time is? i.e. how many hours between food consumed and the final waste product appearing? If you're not sure, it's easy to test by giving some colorful food - such as a raw piece of carrot - that is likely to go through only half digested and will appear as an 'indicator' in the poop.

Rory is on Artemis Puppy and I thought she was doing okay on it, nice coat, skin doesnt seem dry, clean ears, but for the past month or so she's been pooping like 4 times a day (sometimes more).  She was only going twice a day.   Could this be the food?  I'm at the end of the bag and I am wondering if I should try somethinge else.  Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Just seems like a lot of poop for a little dog.

I'm not clear as to whether Rory was OK (pooping twice a day) on Artemis to start with - did this problem only emerge sort of halfway through the bag?

Looking at the ingredients and analysis for Artemis Puppy formula, it looks really good on paper.

There could be all sorts of reasons for frequent poops. I've got a super-pooper here and have learned a bit about what causes it and how to control it (for my individual dog - others likely will be different). The vet and I arrived at the conclusion that he's basically got a form of IBS, with stress and/or excitement/anxiety triggering faster bowel motion.
    If I keep him really calm indoors, not much exercise or anything to get hyper about ... his BM frequency drops off dramatically.

I would suggest you might like to talk about this issue with your vet next time you go there.

So ... to summarize ... in my experience, the frequent pooper has a tendency to softer poops; poops more often the more activity/exercise/excitement he experiences; has a higher volume of poop if the food contains a higher level of carbs such as grains, potatoes and veg; and responds noticeably to the presence/absence of different types of fiber in the diet.

Just my very personal experience with unravelling the mysteries of many poops!! :D

• jenn52

Does the kind of food a dog eats affect the number of bowel movements a dog would have?  Rory is on Artemis Puppy and I thought she was doing okay on it, nice coat, skin doesnt seem dry, clean ears, but for the past month or so she's been pooping like 4 times a day (sometimes more).  She was only going twice a day.   Could this be the food?  I'm at the end of the bag and I am wondering if I should try somethinge else.  Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Just seems like a lot of poop for a little dog.

Yup, food definitely affects the frequency of bowel movements. And since she was only going twice and is now needing to poop more often, I'm guessing it's time to take her off the puppy formula. How old is she & how much does she weigh? Also how much are you feeding her on a daily basis? If she's a 13", she probably only needs 1 - 1.5 cups per day. 
         Four times daily IS a lot of poop for any sized dog, I'd be worried about that simply because it's not a good thing when the output is more than the intake Indifferent  Perhaps try the Artemis adult version if she's doing well on that brand.
  • I would change the food and see what happens. I thought that Neiko was doing well on Canidae, nice coat, etc. however his poops were huge and a lot of it. Plus I was feeding him a lot to keep weight on. So to me, obviously he was not using the food efficiently. I've since changed he and Lily to Innova Evo and their poos are very small and I've been able to cut their food intake in half. The only time they go more frequently is when they are excited and getting a lot of exercise. Excitement and exercise gets the digestive system working overtime (in my experience).

Similarly with Dakota - she's on low residue food because of her digestive issues and her poops are much smaller and much less frequent because she's getting the bare minimum nutrients to sustain her. She's literally using what she eats so that she doesn't have a big output.

• I just wanted to agree that exercise and/or excitement can certainly cause them to go an extra time or in Willow's case she'll get a little bit of diarrhea.  But, it's not really any cause for concern.  I know when we take long hikes she will have her usual poop at first and then if she goes again it won't be so good from all the walking.

• HoundMusic
    How old is she & how much does she weigh? Also how much are you feeding her on a daily basis?
    She's 10 months now and she weighs about 17/18 lbs. I usually feed her about 1 1/4 cups of food (split into twice a day) but she never eats it all. She also may get a bite or two of meat mixed in if we're eating something she can have. I guess I've been nervous to take her off puppy because she doesn't eat all her food anyway, so if I move to adult, won't she be getting even less protein/calories?
  • Just check the bag.  You might try her on a grain free - just watch the kcal/kg to make sure you are feeding her the same amount of calories.

I do agree that 4 times a day is a lot!  I feed twice a day and the gang here poops once or maybe twice - the more active dogs also seem to have more active gi's - lol. 

• You did not mention what size bag you were finishing up.

If it was a 30 -40 lb bag it may have gone rancid.  For that size dog never buy anything more than a 15 lb bag.

You may have bought different treats, changed water source.. If the dog is drinking more water or is more active this can occur too.  It's not always the food.

Also it is not going to hurt your dog to start rotating food companies. Change a protein source every few months, and or company.

• jenn52
    HoundMusic
    How old is she & how much does she weigh? Also how much are you feeding her on a daily basis?
    She's 10 months now and she weighs about 17/18 lbs. I usually feed her about 1 1/4 cups of food (split into twice a day) but she never eats it all. She also may get a bite or two of meat mixed in if we're eating something she can have. I guess I've been nervous to take her off puppy because she doesn't eat all her food anyway, so if I move to adult, won't she be getting even less protein/calories?

Hmmm ... If she's 17lbs @ 10 months, it's safe to say she will be 20lbs or under when fully grown. I usually make the switch to adult food around 6 months, as the active growth period is nearly completed & they just don't need all the extra protein & kcals in puppy food anymore. If she's refusing her food, she's simply self regulating - I know Beagles don't have the reputation for this, but almost all of mine are self regulators, as well ... when it comes to their kibbles anyway, lol. She's not finishing because she simply is taking in too much anyway, and overnutrition can cause just as many problems as malnutrition.
         FWIW, when I have a Beag that is around 20lbs and moderately active, the adult maintenance ration is 3/4 cup daily - that amount only increases during the winter when I'm running them, and usually doesn't exceed 1.5 cups. So I think that you may just be overdfeeding. Try the adult formula and get her down to 1 full cup, split into two daily meals. I think she'll have an easier time finishing her food, and her digestive system won't be so overloaded ... thus less poops.

• large/frequent poops usually mean the dog isn't digesting very much of the food. Dogs on the filler-loaded cheaper diets produce enormous amounts of poop compared to dogs fed highly digestible no filler diets. If your diet isn't one of the filler-loaded ones and the dog is making lots of poop it's probably not a good choice for your particular dog.

Is your dog underweight? how are you deciding the dog should eat 1 1/4 cups, especially if the dog isn't eating it all?

• Artemis is a really good food.  It's 5 star on the pet food thing and was recommended to me over the Innova she was on by a lady who runs the holistic dog store.  Not a filler-loaded cheap food. 

I don't think she's underweight, shes not boney.  Compared to those charts that show the shapes on the dog, I think she looks fine.  Well the back of the package says 1.5 cups, but I've read here that the back of the bag is usually too much, so I cut it down.  So she was getting 1 to 1 1/4 cups.  She has never been a good eater, I don't think she is very impressed by kibble...Smile  Didn't like her science diet the breeder fed her, I switched her to Innova when I got her and she never ate all that, and now same with Artemis.  She would be happiest as a home cooked fed dog.  I just don't feel comfortable doing that yet. 

I bought a small bag of the adult Artemis and I will just give her a cup, we'll see how it goes.  Otherwise I'll try switching her to adult Innova or something.

• The adult Artemis foods don't have very impressive ingredient lists- lots of grains, protein is low.