Quick Post

Best tasting dog food?

Best tasting dog food?
  • My little Sam is a picky eater.  He won't eat his dog food.  What is the best tasting kibble out there?  I don't care if it's a super premium brand or a so-so brand, all I care about for right now is the taste!
    (I am not interested in going all raw or home cooked, or any "tricks" to get him to eat, I just want to know what I asked)
    Thanks!
  • Bil-Jac, and Royal Canin seem to be the most palatable, many dogs also like Kibble and Bits and Beneful.
  • Thank you, I will try those!
  • Kibbles and Bits and Beneful? Please read the ingredient list before you offer those to your dog!
    Fromm Salmon seems to be a "picky little dog" winner at the shop where I work. Duck would come in second.

Timberwolf Organics and  Natures Variety also seem to be very palatable.

• ORIGINAL: abbysdad

...many dogs also like Kibble and Bits and Beneful.

I definitely recommend NOT feeding either of those foods. Grain based, almost no meat, full of artificial colors and preservatives, sugar, salt.... [&:]
  • Timberwolf Organics and Natures Variety also seem to be very palatable.

Not sure if you had a picky eater that would eat those, but Wolfie hated those.

I agree with abbys_dad.  If you have a really picky eater, Royal Canin and Bil-Jac.
  • Royal Canin makes puppy crack! Bil Jac was a close second for my guy who couldn't be bothered to eat. The RC brand we used was Yorkshire thirty-something-or-other.

Sometimes you can break the "not eating" cycle, then move them to something else that you might like better in terms of ingredients or feeding philosophy.

Good luck!
  • ORIGINAL: Luvntzus

ORIGINAL: abbysdad

...many dogs also like Kibble and Bits and Beneful.

I definitely recommend NOT feeding either of those foods. Grain based, almost no meat, full of artificial colors and preservatives, sugar, salt.... [&:]

I was on the verge of feeding these to my parents picky Shephard (see help for skinny shephard thread) and when we went to wal-mart and read the ingredient lists, I just couldn't do it. Even my mom, who doesn't know anything about dog foods wrinkled her nose in disgust when she read the ingredients.

We've been having good success with Innova original, and have a bag of Bil-Jac waiting as backup. You might also try a small bites type food.
  • I agree with Bil Jac and Royal Canin. Those are both decent and palatable. I wouldn't feed Kibbles 'n Bits or Beneful - there are too many better choices available. Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb and Eagle Pack Holistic Duck also seem to be well liked.
  • Bil jac, Royal Canin special 30, Eagle Duck Potato, all great foods for picky eaters. The raw frozen nature's variety is another one for the picky eaters, only thing my little English Toy would eat for a while.
  • Ziwi Peak----it's expensive, but I have never met a dog that did not like it---maybe because it has the texture of soft jerky and is nice and smelly.

I know a lot of  finicky small breeds that seem to like Artemis as well.
  • You have all given me great advice, thank you!
  • I know a lot of finicky small breeds that seem to like Artemis as well.

The Artemis is a hit with Otto as well as the ziwipeak.  I'd choose the Artemis over the royal canin/biljac and it's not to pricey where I live.
  • Timberwolf is the only food my akita will suck down.  She also eats california natural, avoderm, and evo well enough.  Everything else I've tried I can only get about 1/4th what she actually needs down her.  I thought about trying natural balance since their cat food is one of the few my picky cat will eat but the timberwolf is working well enough for the dogs.