Quick Post

Frozen chicken necks

Frozen chicken necks
  • I started feeding my almost 2 year old dog frozen chicken necks in the summer as a treat on a hot day. I have since been told this is not a good thing, despite the fact that she absolutely loves them and has had no bad health effects. Since being told this is not a good thing, I now give her room temp bones, whilst she will eat them, she is not as keen, as she is on the frozen and doesn't eat the whole neck like she did when they are frozen. Anyone got any advice or know of any true health reasons not to feed dogs frozen bones. Regards Rose
  • I've never really heard that. Mine like frozen things, from canned food or broth frozen in a Kong toy, to frozen bones.
  • I started feeding my almost 2 year old dog frozen chicken necks in the summer as a treat on a hot day. I have since been told this is not a good thing

What was the reasoning?
  • I've been told the same thing...I was told frozen or really cold foods make it difficult for dogs to digest it. It makes sense to me..but I don't see my dogs having issues digesting them..so I continue to give them that way. It's not the base of their diet..usually only once or twice a week.
  • Thanks for the reply. Love the idea of broth in the kong toy. She has a kong toy so I think I will give that a try one day.
  • ORIGINAL: janet_rose

What was the reasoning?

I think the reason was a digestion one. However this was not given by a vet. But my dog hasn't so far had any adverse effects. In anycase at the moment the weather is getting cold here and she is not as keen on them frozen. My dog really feels the cold and some days after eating a neck she starts shivering. Cheers. [:D]