Quick Post

Safe to feed dogs?

Safe to feed dogs?
  • Hi everyone, I tried to find some discussion about vegetable & fruits that are safe to feed to dogs.  I looked for  while, but found nothing, maybe I looked in the wrong place.  I do know that onions, grapes(therefore, raisins), & chocolate is toxic to dogs, what else?  I'd appreciate the help as I do cook for them & would like to add some variety to their diets.  Currently I put carrots, peas, potatoes, parsley into their stew, I'm sure that's safe.
  • I've read tomatoes are toxic. I don't remember how, but they are.
  • I believe it's the plant not the tomato thats toxic. My dogs steal the tomatos off our vines all the time.

• It IS the plants, and *maybe* the green tomatoes as well.  Similarly the green parts of potatoes are toxic to dogs AND humans.
  • Someone on the greyhound forum I am on posted the below info that they found off the internet. Not sure what website though.....

Some foods dogs should not eat:

If your dog has ingested any of these foods, get veterinary help immediately

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog

Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.

Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker#%92s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.

Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.

Bones: Bones can splinter and damage a dog#%92s internal organs.

Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomatoe plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death

Apples, Cherries, Peaches and similar fruit: The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them.

Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible.

Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

• My Irish Setter use to eat all the tomatoes and yellow squash off my vines.  i finally gave up having a garden.  He died of bone cancer at age 12 1/2.  When I cook meat for my dogs (calf liver, ground turnkey, chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, etc) I add things like yellow squash, zucchini squash, frozen peas and carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, white potatoes.  When they get canned mackeral or salmon, I just add canned unsalted green beans and canned unsalted carrot slices.  Mine get cooked meat 3 nights a week, fish 4 nights a week.
  • Mine get cooked meat 3 nights a week, fish 4 nights a week.

Will you adopt me too?? [sm=lol.gif]

Mine LOVED zucchini, but I couldn't get them to eat many fruits or even carrots.

• we have been giving our dogs canned, unsalted  green beans once in a while and raw cucumbers some too. we would give the green beans raw, but the price per pound is prohibiting that.
  • ORIGINAL: jjsmom06

Bones: Bones can splinter and damage a dog's internal organs.

Thank you all for the help, sorry it took so long to answer.  We took down the hurricane shutters yesterday, I just wanted a hot shower & cold beer after finishing!

Bones, I know cooked bones will do that, but I thought raw were OK, I give my babies raw knuckle bones to chew all the time & frozen marrow bones as ice cream treats.
  • Bones, I know cooked bones will do that, but I thought raw were OK, I give my babies raw knuckle bones to chew all the time & frozen marrow bones as ice cream treats.

Yes, raw bones are very safe (although nothing is 100% safe).
  • I feed almost everything except corn and soy beans. Limit garlic to small amounts. Take seeds and pits out of fruit. Apples and blueberries are excellent antioxidents. Broccoli, zucchini, spinach etc.. Basically whatever I have in the garden or have leftovers from the human grocery purchase all gets diced and steamed and put together into one container. Then I add that to meals. I also keep the amounts of tomato and other fruits high in vitamin C somewhat small so as to not change the Ph balance of their urine. I've been doing this with three dogs for quite a while and never had a problem.
  • Hello I have 1 Rottweiler Female 6 years old, I lost my 11 years old Rottweiller last year. I did a long research on pets food and learn a lot about the making of the food. You can visit this site: MTMPetsParadise.com, they offer pretty cool collars and lashes but most of all 100% Holistic Pure Food, I feed Siam my baby girl for few months and she love it, no stomach problem, better skin etc... Please keep me update.
  • Bugsy loves all fruit and veg and nothing gives him the runs (that we've found)
    One of his favorites is mashed sweet potatoes which is in a lot of high end foods
    I've heard that collards, kale and cabbage are good too
    BUT I CANNOT IMAGINE THE GAS!!!
  • Thank you all so much!  I cooked a stew for them, de-boned the chicken, but left all the cartiledge in, they loved it.  I added a potato, sweet potato, parsley, garlic, 1 corn cob, peas, carrots, broccoli, an apple, and some green beans.  Yes, the pot was full, but my babies LOVED it!  I mix a bit of kibble with the stew.

Bugsy, I might chance a bit of cabbage when it cools down here.  In case of a night full of gas, I want to be able to open my windows & right now it's just too humid.
  • OT - We use to have a little grocery store in town. Then it got sold. Then, a few weeks ago, it burned down. Back before it got sold, the butcher had a sense of humor. He would make styrofoam plates of potato salad (your mention of potatos brought this on). He always had extra stickers that he needed to use up. So, we had "boneless" potato salad. And his label maker didn't have a hyphen. So, we had "Tgbone steak."