Declawing a cat

• Silver

Declawing a cat

Do you believe in declawing? Have you ever declawed you cat? I need some input everyone.

• Silver

The term declawing implies mere claw removal, but a more appropriate description would be excision of toe bone. (from wikipedia). It's illegal in the UK, most of Europe, and Israel amongst others.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I recommend getting a good scrathing post and entice them to use that, if a cat has a favorite place to use they won't bother your furniture. They like to sharpen their claws and let people know its their spot. Cats have scent glands in their paws they use them to mark spots so other cats know they have been there. Remember, even though you may not have other cats in the house, you are just another big cat to them.

• Silver

I had a lot of cats growing up, I can't think of a good reason to get them declawed.

• Gold Top Dog

No, I don't believe in declawing cats.  Many cats have behavioral problems after being declawed.  Some won't use the litter box afterwards.

• Gold Top Dog

We had our first cat declawed and  I vowed never ever to do that again, that was 21 years ago, we just lost him last month. There is no need to declaw.. it was very painful for him.

• Silver

Declawing should be a last resort. Why amputate the "finger" tips so to speak of a pet you are supposed to love and care for unless it is for an extreme medical issue...?

I have used nail caps( that you glue on) and a good old  regular nail clipper . Scratching boards are a must and my cats use them ( instead of  the furniture ).

• Bronze

I don't have cats but it just seems painful and makes more sense to get them to use a post. I do have friends that declawed their cats, they have not changed at all, still very loveable and friendly, but they even said they would never do it again, just because of the healing time and it was a pain with the litter box becuase they had to use newspaper until the cats paws healed.