Quick Post

Strange growth on my dog's tail

Strange growth on my dog's tail
  • My dog is a 1 1/2 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  He's very healthy and is normal for the breed in every respect, except... He has what appears to be a toe nail or claw of some sort growing out of the very tip of his tail.  His tail is very fluffy and at first I thought it was just something stuck in his fur, so I inspected it closer.  It sticks out of the tip about 1/2 inch and is the same color as his nails, but is almost straight and thinner, but feels like the same material (for lack of a better term.)  Has anyone ever heard of this before?  It certainly doesn't affect him and I'm reluctant to get it removed, because i think it would be unnecessary unless it's causes problems.  I haven't contacted the owners of his siblings to see if any of them have the same thing.  Any information would be helpful!  Thanks!

[:-]
  • Absolutely no clue what it truly is -- but I would seriously ask a vet about it.  There are some things that are 'no big deal' and some things that can later on *become* a big deal.

• wildarren, welcome to i-dog!  [sm=welcome2.gif]

I really have no idea what it is - maybe the tail was broken at some point and this is the way it healed?
  • youre dog is part predator ( that alien) thats all there is to it!
    Ok ok so bakc to reality.
    I really have no clue what it could be. Like Janet' said, The tail could have been broken at one point and that is how it grew back. What you want to do is take your pup to the vet asap. It may not be or seem serious atm, but it's better to be safe then sorry am i right?
    good luck and i hope we here some updates! this is a very interesting case!
    hope your pup is okay!
  • youre dog is part predator ( that alien) thats all there is to it!
    Ok, ok ,so back to reality.
    I really have no clue what it could be. Like Janet' said, The tail could have been broken at one point and that is how it grew back. What you want to do is take your pup to the vet asap. It may not be or seem serious atm, but it's better to be safe then sorry am i right?
    good luck and i hope we here some updates! this is a very interesting case!
    hope your pup is okay!

• did you ever find out what that growth was? I think my dog has the same growth on his neck. Thanks.