Quick Post

Storage Shed for dog house

Storage Shed for dog house
  • My dad just purchased a storage shed, the kind you find at Lowes or Home Depot, for my dog, so that when it rains he can go inside without getting wet and has a lot of room to move around in there.  The only thing is that it gets about 88 degrees when it's under the sun, since the housing of the shed is aluminum.

Is there any way to get this shed to get cooler for the summer?  This shed is already going under the shade, but I don't know if that will be enough.
  • How is it ventilated? Any windows? How tall is it? What is the floor like? Can you post a link? I would think that aluminum would get hotter than 88 degrees F inside on a warm summer day---but that depends on how warm it gets where you live. Is the shed aluminum or is it wood with aluminum siding?

If the space is enclosed I would think it could get much warmer than the outside air temp...If the dog is only going in when he wants to and it is only when it is raining out, then there shouldn't be too much of a problem because he'll be wet and the rain will cool things off...

But if he's also using it during the summer on sunny, hot days, then please share some more info. about the shed and the climate.

PS If the shed is placed on something raised a bit off the ground (rather than sitting right on top of the ground) you may find your dog digging a hole and hanging out in the cool dirt UNDER the shed on a really hot day[:D]
  • Insulating the roof and adding some vents should help.
  • Here's the link: [linkhttp://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2775897]http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2775897[/link]

It's about 5 ft tall with wooden floor.  It says here that the walls and roof are galvanized steel.

This shed is going to raised but there's not enough room underneath for my German Shepherd to fit under.  For ventilation it just has the front doors open for air to get through.

ORIGINAL: probe1957

Insulating the roof and adding some vents should help.

How would I go about insulating the roof, what materials and how would I do it? 
  • ORIGINAL: ScruffyBoy
    <snipped>
    How would I go about insulating the roof, what materials and how would I do it? 

Go to Lowes, tell them what you want to do and they will sell you what you need. 
  • This shed is going to raised but there's not enough room underneath for my German Shepherd to fit under.

But can he dig under?
  • I doubt it, he's an old dog now and has arthritis.
  • If you go to [linkhttp://www.cleanrun.com,]www.cleanrun.com,[/link] and look at their cooling products, you should find something that will help.  I have a mesh tarp that keeps my truck 15 degrees cooler, and the dogs can stay in their crates and be ok - I don't even need a crate fan most days.
  • You need to cut a vent near the top and probably along the back would work the best.  Just insulating the top isn't gonna do a whole heck of alot without adding a vent for the hot air to escape.  The sun is still going to warm it up and insulating by itself may only help hold in the heat.  Hot air rises so if you cut a vent near the top of a wall it will allow the hot air to escape and if the hole is opposite the doors it might help increase the air flow going through the shed more than one set to the side.  A fan would help 100 times more but then you'd have to be able to run an extension cord to the shed for electricity. 

Can you move the shed under any trees?  Shade would really prevent alot of heat buildup and keep it from getting much warmer than the outside air. 
  • There is insulating stuff for metal roofs. They use it on mobile homes. We used it on our bathroom roof that is metal.  It keeps it about 15 to 20 degrees cooler. We got it at Lowes, cant remember what its called though.