Quick Post

You Know You're A Hippie When........

You Know You're A Hippie When........
  • Being a hippie is a state of mind, No matter when you were born it's your outlook on life that determines if you belong to this cultural nitch.The following are things that have earned me the dubious title of Hippie by friends and family.

1. I get more than a little sad when one of the big trees on my property diesCrying

2. I have stood on my property line with my hands on my hips giving the "stink eye" to the farmer spraying chemicals on his adjacent fieldAngry

3. I spent the better part of a day looking for a Sandhill Crane chick when the above farmer mowed it's nest with a haybineAngry

4. If I need to go somewhere less than 3 miles away,I walk or ride my bike.Smile

5. I give a mini-lecture to the people at work who throw recycleables in with the regular trash.Hmm

6. Unlike other residents who live here, I believe tax money is better used to support the public libraries than pay for the Green Bay Packers new stadium.Confused

If you think you might be a hippie too, please post why.We're a dwindling group,we've gotta stick together!

•  My husband calls me a prippy, because I am a preppy hippy. Here are my additions:

1. Keep track of your carbon footprint and plan errand runs accordingly.

2. Have the hot water heater to cycle once daily, so we don't waste electricity. (my mother says my house is a 3rd world country because of this.)

3. Only use glass storage containers -- and a general fear/hatred for plastics. Plastic is the devil!

4. BYO shopping bags and refuse bags if I can fit it in my purse and/or carry it. Then explain why we should all do this.

5. Won't use fertilizers and/or pesticides.

6. Think the pursuit of excessive amounts of money is toxic to the soul. (Can you tell why I left ibanking?)

7. Wear as much natural fiber as possible -- but let's be real sometimes you need gortex.

That's all I have for now. 

•  oh i had to click on this!! LOL  and i totally agree with the 'goretex' comment.  Wool is great but sometimes i need a super techy fabric that keeps me dry & toasty.

oh man lets see........

1. i ask my neighbors for their leaves & other yard waste they'd rather burn to dispose of.  even after saying 'you could make a really great compost pile with that!'

2. i get excited about adding 'layers' to my compost pile

3. i get excited about manure - because of my compost pile.

4. i'm doing a no-till 'lasagna' garden this year - beacuse i like how weeds are controlled ( NO SPRAYS), and no running the polluting rototiller!

5.i give my dad the stink eye when he's spraying his property with 'weed killer' & edging over to my property line.......then giving him a lecture about how i have 'animals' and if they eat that it's bad. DONT SPRAY on my property!! ARGH!

6. I ride my bike almost everywhere, i've even hauled manure on it!! LOL
    7.in the summer time if i have to go further than 6 miles i take the whizzer, it gets 123mpg!

8.i get really mad when the city removes a tree  just for the sake of not being able to see the drugstore sign!! WTF!?!

9.i get really excited when i go to a local coffee shop & they have compostable cups!! so rad!

10, i have a porcelain coffee cup that looks just like those white paper ones, complete with silicon lid.

11. i  sew animal feed bags into other RAD things!!  

12. i make my own cleaners. prefer not to use toxic store bought stuff. one time i even made my own laundry detergent.

i think thtas it. i occasionally wear a tye dye too. lol.

• 1 - There is nothing wrong with tye-dye. OR bandana's. OR tye-dye bandana's. OR wearing them rolled, folded, or otherwise, on your head.

2 - I despise plastic bags and one-time use bottles. Thou the plastic bags to come in handy for the cat box.

3 - Wear cut-off jeans does not mean you are poor, it means you have outgrown something that can have a lot more use in the summer Stick out tongue

•  

misstrouble

1 - There is nothing wrong with tye-dye. OR bandana's. OR tye-dye bandana's. OR wearing them rolled, folded, or otherwise, on your head.

2 - I despise plastic bags and one-time use bottles. Thou the plastic bags to come in handy for the cat box.

3 - Wear cut-off jeans does not mean you are poor, it means you have outgrown something that can have a lot more use in the summer Stick out tongue

I wear bandanas on my head when in the garden - soaks up sweat & its a  little sunblock for my scalp ( hair is not enough! lol)

cut off are rad, what better when your awesome pair of jeans are no longer jeans - they turn into your favorite pair of comfy shorts!!

• akyramoto82

cut off are rad, what better when your awesome pair of jeans are no longer jeans - they turn into your favorite pair of comfy shorts!!

Yupyupyup! I had a kid in middle school ask me if I was poor because my jeans were cut off into shorts....Huh?....I was like 'nooo???'

I dont see a point in throwing away comfy jeans just because they got to short/too ripped up/whatever....cut 'em short and save 'em for summer!

Me and my 'girlfriends' went shoping in 'matching' cut offs, it was one of those summer memories that will last me a while

• Yeah, all that earthy stuff is great, but.... 

You know you're a hippie when you are almost 50 years old and you still rock out to Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, and many, many other classic rock groups.  And, you know what a hookah is.  Stick out tongue

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Embarrassed

• CoBuHe

Yeah, all that earthy stuff is great, but.... 

You know you're a hippie when you are almost 50 years old and you still rock out to Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, and many, many other classic rock groups.  And, you know what a hookah is.  Stick out tongue

I'm on the same page..  how about words like Dude, oh man..  bummer.. and you refer to the police station as "cop shop".  And you know what a high times magazine is.Embarrassed

Where's Ron?...   he'll have some good additions.Wink

• CoBuHe

Gah!  you are so right.

Y'all have covered a lot of mine but I havethis one to add..

• You do a happy dance when you find a salamander in your garden.

• luvmyswissy

And you know what a high times magazine is.Embarrassed

Where's Ron?...   he'll have some good additions.Wink

HA!  Good one.  I dig it!  Free love Baby!  Don't forget to go to the head shop for some Zig Zags and cool threads like the tye dye bandanas.

Ron unfortunately has had to blend in with the establishment during the daytime hours.  I'm sure he'll join in at dusk.

LOL...Sorry OP, I'm sure this is NOT where you were headed.  Surprise

• I've brought my dogs down to my Hippie level & make them wear tie-dyes.  Grady looks great in his orange one.  :o)

• CoBuHe
    LOL...Sorry OP, I'm sure this is NOT where you were headed. 

Hey man, it's all cool......[goes off to look up the meaning of HOOKAH]

• Love the additions -- especially about tie-dye. I freaking love tie-dye and the use of the word "rad" and "psyched". I say psyched and dude all the time. Dude drives my DH nuts.

Can we add CCR to the music list?

ETA: One of the frats at my college had a 4 foot tall hookah that they brought out for an Alice and Wonderland party.... 

• Pit_Pointer_Aussie

Can we add CCR to the music list?

ETA: One of the frats at my college had a 4 foot tall hookah that they brought out for an Alice and Wonderland party.... 

Are you kidding me!!!  CCR and John Fogarty rocks to this day and beyond!  Add Jerry Garcia and his Grateful Dead; Neal Young, oh  my so many more.

Great party, I'll bet!

• CoBuHe

You're singing my song, girl. ROFLMAO!!