Quick Post

Pain after tooth extraction?

Pain after tooth extraction?
  • I am wondering if the amount of pain I am experiencing from my teeth extractions is normal. On Tuesday the 6th I had 5 teeth removed. Recovery seemed to be on course until I got the WORST head ache of my life. All I could do was shake and vomit. I've never experienced pain that consuming before. Period. I was taken to the hospital where they hydrated me and gave me a lot of drugs and sent me home with percocet instead of of Hydrocodone. Well a few hours later I'm in the same boat and back at the ER. this time they give me more drugs and sent me hom with Alazopram, Dilaudid and Zofran for nasuea. Finally the pain has stopped but I am a complete space case. Has anyone else had problems like this with teeth extractions? Did my oral surgeon mess up? I don't think this could be normal...

• I had a super bad experience with a tooth extraction once..... an impacted wisdom tooth. From what I understand it can be common...... Are you done with the pain meds and still feeling spacey???? I would give it a couple more days and if you're still feeling this way, go back to the Dr.
  •  

No I'm still on my pain meds that are making me totally out to lunch. I prefer it over being in agony. I guess I'll try taking fewer tommorrow and see how it's imporoved. When ihas it gone on too long and isn't normal anymore? Having that much pain?
  • Were you given a local or a general for the extractions? It sounds like you could be experiencing a form of whip lash. If the surgeon exerted a LOT of pressure he could have done some damage to your neck and/or shoulder muscles. How is the swelling and bruising? Hope you are feeling better real soon. Just stay in bed - if that's possible!  

• I was given a general, I was fully out. Interesting you mention a form of whiplash, my the base of my head feels very sore and turning it is a nightmare. We are very displeased with my surgeon anyway (I had a reaction coming out of being put under and was crying, he YELLED at me and left without telling me or my in laws goodbye, anything about how it went, etc) Swelling is pretty bad and bruising too, though appear to be going down. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a lot of force.

Thanks, I am staying in bed almost 24 hours a day. Just got up for a few minutes.

• Oh man you are talking about MY life.  I had some pretty extensive root canal work done this fall -- and the last one was actually a 'repair' -- he KNEW before he went in that it was inflamed and I tried to ask him THEN for antibiotics.  He told me "my body should deal with that".  It didn't. 

He had me open up the temporary filling (oh joy -- can you just imagine how much FUN that was sitting with a needle in my own mouth at midnight prying on a tooth that was already making me mindless with pain -- when I finally got it open abscessed infection rolled out like ... ewwwwwwwwwwwwww don't make me remember!!)

THEN he gave me antibiotics ... but it kept swelling and didn't drain.  The body had actually formed a protective barrier around the tooth which wasn't letting it drain.  I had to then go to an endodontist who put me on a different antibiotic AND pulled the tooth -- but it still really didn't go away.  By the time I finished the antibiotics that round the infection was technically gone, but I have been in constant  agony for the most part of FOUR months with this whole thing.

FINALLY it has begun to calm down -- but I still can't chew on that side. 

It's like a story that doesn't end.  Antibiotics, off ... more antibiotics (that I knew wouldn't work because of what he gave me) ... off ... then they actually pulled it which got rid of most of the "yuck" but then my body had to heal AND you have to hope you haven't gotten a dry socket. (that's this lovely think they threaten you with if you rinse too hard that really makes things worse).

Did they, in any of this, give you antibiotics??  You're going to have to call the guy who did it, or camp on his doorstep in the morning. 

My problem is I can't take ANY of those big pain killers.  They make me more nauseus than the pain.  I just plain can't take ANY of them. 

I feel for you -- but don't delay -- go back and make the dentist evaluate it.  You may need to have antibiotics, OR you may have a problem with an abscess that hasn't drained or something. 

When you have THAT much work done at once it is a huge trauma to the body.  These new dentists who do "years of dental work in ONE easy visit while you SLEEP" -- I'm not sure that's such a hot idea because you may sleep while they pull them, but you don't heal that fast.

Depending on your age and general health it impacts this in a big way.  Part of *my* problem is because I had psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis both are auto-immune diseases.  That cuts down what antibiotics I *can* take and it also increases (in a big way) how long it takes me to heal.

The orall maxillo-facial guy I went to told me I'd be three months more healing.

• Beejou

I was given a general, I was fully out. Interesting you mention a form of whiplash, my the base of my head feels very sore and turning it is a nightmare. We are very displeased with my surgeon anyway (I had a reaction coming out of being put under and was crying, he YELLED at me and left without telling me or my in laws goodbye, anything about how it went, etc) Swelling is pretty bad and bruising too, though appear to be going down. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a lot of force.

Thanks, I am staying in bed almost 24 hours a day. Just got up for a few minutes.

Wow.  He sounds like he just might be in the wrong line of work.  Hope you feel better soon.

Joyce

• Beejou
    I was given a general, I was fully out.

I'm going to guess you do have whip lash then. Many times under general, surgeons are a lot rougher than need be. You might want to try one of those neck braces for support. Take care. 

• I would also guess the problem is from being knocked out.  I had 2 teeth extracted (one very imbedded) while I was conscious and had a nerve block.  Afterward, the wounds did not have that much pain.  The one that was sutured hurt less and healed faster, but I wouldn't describe either as anywhere near excrutiating.  I did have some neck/head pain and stiffness, but since I was awake I was able to somewhat control my head (it was turned totally sideways and the dentist had me in a head lock, he was sweating from all the work!).

• Good Grief I hope you are feeling better !!  The first reaction you mentioned sounded a lot like a reaction to meds, were you put under by gas or IV for the surgeries?   They can affect you differently . You may not be able to tolerate Hydrocodone It is a really strong drug.  Many people become nauseated when using it. Percocet is normally the next go to drug if there is a reaction. Did you use ice packs 20 on 20 off?  Have your surgical sites begun to heal at all? Were your teeth broken in the jaw and did you ( hopefully not) have a dry socket tooth removed?? I have been told all of my life they hurt the very worst and there is almost no way of knowing you have a dry socket prior to the removal, Boken teeth worry me in case the gum and nerves were further damaged by digging about to get to the bits and pieces.  If you have lost your clots from eating or drinking and agravating the sites that can really delay healing, many folks are not aware that simply sucking a drink trough a straw can provide enough internal suction in your mouth to break clots free.  The nausea as I mentioned can be from allergic reaction to the drugs used or given  OR from the amount of pain you are in. I can sprial out of control if I am not very careful with the chronic pain I live with I can cause a cycle that makes me nauseated , when throwing up my back hurts so much worse, when the back pain increases so does the nausea .... it is a rough way to live. I was hospitalized 6 times for up to a week each before I finally learned what to watch for.  It dehydrates you quickly !

Chances are very good the  Doctor did a good job but you have residual inflamation and that could also increase your pain. Have you called them back?  Please do so it is important to let them know how badly you hurt.

I had 6 teeth remoed when I was a child by a Navy dentist, left me scared for easily 30 years!! My daughter had 5 teeth removed by an oral surgeon on Dec 23 and we babied her until this week. She luckily did not have the kind of pain you have had.

I hope you are feeling better and that you have called that Oral Surgeon back or at the very least your dentist.

Hugs and prayers you feel better very soon!

Bonita of Bwana 

• Wow, what a horrible experience!!!  If this keeps up much longer, you might want to go see your PCP. That much pain several days after "the big event" doesn't seem normal.  Hopefully a medical professional (other than your socially inept surgeon) can tell you for sure if it's whip lash, bad reaction to meds, some sort of infection, etc and treat it accordingly. Good luck!

• Lortab (codeine and Tylenol) are friends. I've had some rough tooth extractions. One thing I had read is that the rougher the pull, the more possibility of dry socket because blood vessels get mashed and don't bleed well enough to form the necessary clot. Anyway, some of the meds might be too much. As soon as I could, I would switch back to Motrin or some other gentle pain reliever. A whole Lortab is too much for me. I cut them in half. I have a high tolerance for pain.

• dry socket - HORRIBLE. Had it and it was horrible

2 advil, 1 tylenol.

Works GREAT.

• Beejou
    I was given a general, I was fully out.

I'd be extremely surprised if you were given general anesthesia for extractions. It would've meant being in a hospital OR and I've never heard of that. You were probably given IV sedation though and although you don't remember anything, you weren't completely out. When I worked in oral surgery most patients were very drunk-like but they could still communicate and move. They'd almost always say after the procedure that they were completely out though. One of the drugs used in the IV sedation has an amnesiac affect, so you wake up and don't remember anything.

If it's been several days since the surgery and you're still having pain, you should absolutely contact the dentist though. I'd also suggest that anyone needing extractions go to reputable oral surgeon. They're much more experienced in dealing with extractions and complications.

• I'm so sorry that you are in this much pain, I know how debilitating it can be.

5 extractions shouldn't really cause this much pain but it sounds like your reactions to the various drugs are making things much worse.  Can I ask why you had 5 teeth extracted?  If it was for space then your other teeth my be shifting.  If it was because they had big holes in them then your gums are probably in not great shape and not "bouncing back" as quickly.

Find out what is causing the pain itself and why the healing isn't faster, then treat that.