Quick Post

Garlic really does kill worms.

Garlic really does kill worms.
  • Yesterday I found out that Beauty had tapeworm. [:'(] Since it was a holiday I couldn't get any meds for her right away, so I thought I'd try feeding her garlic and see if it worked. I chopped up a small clove of it and mixed it with her dinner.  This morning the partly digested worm appeared in her stool. [:'(] At least it's gone now. I was surprised at how quickly the garlic worked.

• was it the head or just a section. they dont mind losing half their body since its so long.... extremely, obscenely long.... i had a cat years ago that was thin as a rail... the vet diagnosed tape worm, we medicated and out came the worm... head included... all over the washing machine - the cat's favourite place to hang out... oh it was disgusting!!

incidentally.... i have some garlic cloves... and i've heard that its good for repelling fleas, never heard about the worm thing though.... should i dice up some garlic to feed to my dogs at dinner? or is garlic powder just as good? i have both.. i think. i KNOW i have the cloves.. they were on sale so i got extra for cooking [:D] ... i'm tempted to plant one of them so i'll have my own supply in the future...
  • What you probably saw wasn't the worm, but rather an egg sac. 
  • What I've heard is that it doesn't necessarily kill the worm, but makes it shed part of itself, thus giving the dog some relief. I'd still follow up on it if you didn't find the head.

Before the strong drugs/poisons we have now, though, using garlic is how people minimized worms in dogs. [:D]
  • Yes, I still plan to medicate her and my other pets, just in case.  The garlic really did help, though, so I'm happy.

ETA: This was definitely more than "a segment", and not moving, unlike the segments she had been shedding.
  • The de-wormer SafeGuard is sold OTC and is the same as Panacur sold by the vet.  It is not as convenient (requires 3 once-a-day doses) as some of the stuff from the vet, but not as expensive either.  SafeGuard/Panacur also targets Giardia, so I consider it an important part of a doggie first aid kit.

Small amounts of garlic seem to be OK, but avoid onion completely.

[linkwww.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=2414[/link]>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=2414]www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=2414[/link]
    [font=verdana]In dogs and cats, garlic and onion can cause Heinz body anemia, resulting in a breakdown of the red blood cells and anemia. The very small amounts of garlic that are present in some commercial pet foods have not be shown to cause any problems. 
    [/font]