Quick Post

dog park ground surface

dog park ground surface
  • There is a small, well-used, fenced, public dog park in a neighboring town that is receiving a "facelift".  With the grass worn away, it was a dustbowl or a mud pit depending on the day's precipitation.  Recently 3/4 inch rounded stones were dropped to cover the surface.  Which improves drainage, helps with keeping it cleaner, and "looks nice".... But dog owners aren't happy about the unsteadying surface, and the heat the stones hold in the height of summer (they ripped out the only shade tree at present, in prep for a future shading structure).

What I'm looking for is feedback from other dog-park-goer's across the country (or world??) where the grass is gone and some other surface was poured/deposited/installed.  Aside from grass, what's the surface of YOUR dog park?
  • The dog park that we frequent most often has wood chips as the surface.  Initially, footing was unsteady, but as rains came, the chips began to settle into the ground.  Now the surface has lots of grip, & doesn't become a dust bowl or a mud pit.  It has worked out very well after a questionable beginning.
  • most of the dog parks around here have grass. there is one park that has decomposed granite as the surface cover. It's ok, the only downside is that if your dog likes to roll around, there is 100% chance that they will be really filthy when they come out.
  • The dog park here has gravel.  It's good for keeping nails worn down and seems to provide decent footing.  However, it can be really dusty or wet granite "ick" if it's rained.  I don't think it looks very nice, but it is easy to pick up.  I guess a couple of years ago it was grass but had the above described issues.  I like the idea of wood chips though, as long as they're not toxic (of couse).
  • I don't know about our dog park, but at our shelter runs we use pea gravel.  I like it a lot b/c it drains really well, avoids dust and mud, and it's really easy to pick up turds.  I've never seen a dog slip.  Perhaps pea gravel packs better than the stones they put in your park.  Those sound considerably larger.
  • We visit a 34 acre park that has a network of walking trails.  Most of the park is just left natural but the trails are covered with wood chips.  They have settled in and it works well.  In the low areas that tend to flood, more chips were added to raise the elevation.  It's still pretty sloppy in the spring when the snow and ice melts but that's only for a couple weeks.
  • The really pathetic "dog park" in my city has a wood chip base.  This seems as good as anything to me.  We've only gone a couple of times in nice weather and the footing was good.  In my experience, though, wood chips hold up nicely to rain and other wet weather.

IMO grass is best for large spaces.  But when you have limited space it will be destroyed in a hurry.
  • We have wood chips in the high concentration areas- like the entrance and grass further out where concentrations of dogs is lighter.  It works well even after a good rain and does not get too hot.

• Well our dog park is probably over 1000 acres. Its a old campgorund. So in some parts (where roads used to be) is some concrete. I dont go up in that area (the river isnt up there, plus its more busy with cars and picnic goers). Otherwise or dog park is as nautral as they come. its al grass/mud/sand/rocks (depending on what area you are mud/sand is at the ponds/rivers, rocks is on the huge cliffs, grass is well duh every where lol
  • The dog park we go to is mainly natural -- it's a big lake with a trail system around it.  Most of the trail is just dirt, but some areas where the grass has worn away were getting to be super muddy so they just put wood chips down.  Seems to be working well so far. 
  • Our local dog park is wood chips and dirt. I hate it because my girls come out covered in the wood pieces and dirt and are filthy and stinky (Lhasa and Shih tzu). Since I take them to the groomer, it's like throwing money out the window if I take them there. We have a park nearby that I like to take them to with grassy areas and grassy walking trails. Not a dog park, in fact, I rarely see other dogs there and they have to stay on their leashes which is okay. I mean, it's super hot here right now and will continue to be for the next several months, so we go occasionally and I try to exercise them the best I can indoors. The only other option is to take them late at night and I'm scared to do that just for safety issues. When it's ungodly hot like this I really wish we lived somewhere less intense.
  • Our dog park has 1/8 inch gravel.  It's easy to maintain, but the footing can get a bit treacherous for high speed turns.