Quick Post

Do Dogs Feel Love?

Do Dogs Feel Love?
  • Saw this blog/article on yahoo and I thought I would share. Sorry if its in the wrong section and eeps if its already been posted O_O I just thought it was really cute.

http://pets.yahoo.com/dogs/behavior-and-training/316/do-dogs-feel-love/

• I think any animal is capable of giving and receiveing love, a wag of a dogs tail when getting a good belly rub or a wet lick after giveing a dog a big hugs says alot.

• DH and I just had this conversation this afternoon. I think dogs feel cared-for and they like that feeling and seek it out. But I'm not sure I'd call that love. I also would not really ever call a dog unselfish or loyal. Dogs know what side their bread is buttered on and have some interesting coping mechanisms to deal with adversity.  

• I think it honestly depends on the dog and on the guardian ... but I found it interesting in the article that it said what I've always said ... that if people were to be truly confronted with the fact that dogs have emotions that it would cause humans to have to re-evaluate their assumed position as "the most intelligent" and most evolved species.  We think we're the benevolent rulers, except ... who IS it who is working all day to bring home the biscuits, paying the bills, doing the clean--up and taking care of the dogs??  WHO is the most evolved?  hmmmm

• houndlove
    I think dogs feel cared-for and they like that feeling and seek it out

What IS love then?  Surely caring and being cared for is a form of love?  I love my husband very much.  I love my son intensely, but in a very different way.  I love my parents in a different way again.  I love my dogs and my cat... and again, in a different way.  Even if dogs "love" in a different way than we do... can it not still be a form of love?  When your dogs are happy to see you, yeah OK, so in terms of survival and what not, there is safety in numbers and you're better off with a family than on your own.... but does that mean your dog is any less genuinely glad to see you when you come home?

• Dogs totally feel love!

Love is not a mystical state reserved for humans.

•  I agree with this from the article:

Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson writes, “dogs are love.” So there isn’t a question of whether dogs love, the mystery is how they have such an enormous capacity for it.

I think dogs can and do feel love because when we think of how WE as human beings describe "what love is", we're putting constraints on it and trying to form the most powerful force in existence to fit into into the limiting words of a language we ourselves made up. I think Love (and I usually capitalize it when talking about it in this context) is far too big a thing to be suspecting that something alive on this earth is devoid of it. Of course dogs can love. As surely as they're alive and can breathe, they love.

• FourIsCompany
    I think dogs can and do feel love because when we think of how WE as human beings describe "what love is", we're putting constraints on it and trying to form the most powerful force in existence to fit into into the limiting words of a language we ourselves made up.

ABSOLUTELY -- what I said except you said it much much better!

I think all dogs have the capability to "Love" but I do think, just like some humans, it becomes locked-up inside sometimes and isn't free to be expressed.  With much patience it often can come around -- and is often the more intense for that.  . 

• calliecritturs
    their assumed position as "the most intelligent" and most evolved species. 

My husband always likes to mention exactly who devised the tests to evaluate the "most intelligent" and "most evolved" species! LOL  If dolphins were writing the tests, we may not come out on top!

• I say absolutely.

When they wag their tail, wait for you to get home from work, cuddle with you, fall asleep during belly rubs, comfort you, ect. They depend on you for everything in their life and when you give them that -- they repay you with the only thing they can, love.

• I would say unequivocally that dogs indeed feel love. There is a very interesting chapter on Love in Patricia McConnell's book "For the Love of Dogs: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend".

Humans have yet to ever come up with a definition to describe love. There is no definition that fits every aspect of love, and every person will describe it a bit differently. There are apparently many different types of love. Such a vast concept, yet just about everybody knows it when they feel it. I have no doubt that dogs can feel it, regardless of whether or not they can define it. In a lot of ways I almost wonder if animals feel a much more pure form of emotion, since they aren't riddled with the cortexes and language areas that we are.

•  I think they do. I have had some bad times with my teenage son. I do not often cry but there have been a few times when I have. Gunnar responds with what I can only call understanding and affection when was feeling like this.

Normally he is all wiggely and energetic and he will push his face at me and try and manipulate my hands to pet him and hold me with his feet, but when I am sad, he quietly lays beside me with his head in my lap and licks my hands every now and then.

I cannot help but believe that they love and care, it may not be just like we do but there is something.

• Strange, we just had this very p ot on one of the golden forums i belong to.  And yes i do believe with all my heart that dogs feel a kind of love.    A dog puts it's life on the line to save a human family memeber and it is called instinct.  When a human parent does the same thing to save thier child , it is called love.  I hvae long heard dogs lick humans because they like the salt taste of the skin, and my dogs will lick strangers when strangers pet them--i think that is their way of saying "thanks" or "I like you".  Many the time I have set down my dogs food bowls or dish full of fresh water and gotten a couple of quick swipes across the face.  Why lick my face when what they want is right ther in front of them.  I do think they are saying thanks.

I can be laying on the sofa and honey will dash up and give me a couple of swipes across the face and then dash out to see if there are squirrels in the trees or on the power lines--( I usually have back door open, weather permitting) doesn't even wait to get a pat.  Just reminds me so much a a small child running up and giving a hug and dashing off.

When kayCee had her knee surgeries, her littermate brother would lay beside her and lick her face.  When he was in icu for 8 days and died, sh stayed under the table and wouldn't eat.  I know they cared about each other.  And what abut Greyfriars Bobby ho spent years LIVING on his master's grave, only leaving to eat.  his maste no longer providd him with food and attention, other's did.  I believe, as with human dogs can show a differnt degree or kind of love, and in some cases, not show love at all.  But I think most have a kind of love for humans and in mny cae, for each othr.