Quick Post

Why do dogs kiss on the MOUTH?

Why do dogs kiss on the MOUTH?
  • Or is Odie the only mouth kisser around here? I don't mind ksises from my pup (I love them actually) but I always wonder why Odie has to plant wet ones right on MY LIPS. Right smack in the middle of my mouth. And if I move my head, he moves right along with me to keep on smooching right on the kisser! [sm=happy.gif]

Is anyone else's dog like this? Why do dogs insist on kissing on the mouth?
  • I think it is a placating gesture.  I've watched Onyx do that to Crusher.  And she is always doing it to me or BF.  However she will kiss you wherever she can.  Crusher only does it to me if I'm upset with him or he percieves that I am.  And he never does it to Onyx or BF.
  • And, why do they always try to kiss you on the mouth RIGHT AFTER they've licked their privates!!?
  • ORIGINAL: huskymom

I think it is a placating gesture.  I've watched Onyx do that to Crusher.  And she is always doing it to me or BF.  However she will kiss you wherever she can.  Crusher only does it to me if I'm upset with him or he percieves that I am.  And he never does it to Onyx or BF.

My two Siberians kiss each other a lot, as well as grabbing and jousting...it seems to be part of their play.  Also serves to clean each other's faces after meals, lol, they truly do that!

Also, the kissing on the mouth or face is a kind of pack behavior...subserviant and when one of my huskies is doing this, the other frantically wants some kissing on your face too.  Unfortunately the male does a little nibbling too.  Reminds me of a little wolf pack.
  • And, why do they always try to kiss you on the mouth RIGHT AFTER they've licked their privates!!?

As long as mine don't kiss me on the mouth right after licking their privates I am in good shape.[:D]
  • It's a typical wolf greeting.  It's also an appeasement gesture, you'll see submissive dogs doing this to more dominant dogs as a greeting gesture, puppies do it to their mothers.  The mouth licking basically says: don't bite me, I'm a puppy and I'm happy to see you.
  • It's a ritualized submissive greeting, a hold-over from puppy hood. In the wild young puppies get left at the den while the pack goes hunting. The pack eats the animal where they bring it down. And how to take food back to the pups without pockets? oh yeah, why not in the belly. The puppies lick at the returning hunter's mouths, and they puke up some meat for the pups.
  • Or you still have some of your lunch on your face [:D]
  • Well, Lily has tried to "french" me on a occasion.  Charlie on the other hand does not lick our faces,  maybe me sometimes-when it is a full moon I guess.
  • Hmm. Stanley's NOT a kissy dog. He'll kiss us only once in a blue moon. He licks feet though. Does that mean he's not submissive enough?
  • ORIGINAL: nyiceprincess

Or you still have some of your lunch on your face [:D]

This is probably why Gracie licks the toddler's face, there's usually the remnants of several meals on there!
  • Romeo does that to me too and not only one, if I don't move he can make a past time out of it. [&:]   
  • When my dog tries to kiss my husband, he tilts his head forward so that she will lick the top of his bald head.  Its pretty funny to watch, especially since she doesn't seem to like it as much if his head isn't freshly shaved.
  • jason does that too. especially after licking either his privates or moca's butt [&:]
    but then again he kinda licks EVERYTHING: walls, the floor, his bowl (of course!!) feet, shoes, socks, pants, blankets, sofas, furniture, you name it... once he licked so much fabric that he puked out a ball of fiber... yuck!!