Quick Post

Dog don't like toys!

Dog don't like toys!
  • OK...I'm at a lost! Please help. I adopted a dog about 2 month ago. She doesn't like toys. I've tried rope toys, squeaky toys, you name it. I'm trying to get her interested in something so she won't be so bored. I do spend time with her quite abit but I have to do other things too and she looks SO bored when I'm not doing anything with her. I've also tried Kong, Nylabones, etc. Not at all interested! Any suggestions? Please don't ask me to get another dog cos' as much as I would LOVE to, I can't afford that right now.
  • Some dogs just don't like toys or treats. We have a chow that doesn't play with anything, or eat treats. He is content to go on long walks and be kissed and hugged.
  •  ;Please don't ask me to get another dog cos' as much as I would LOVE to, I can't afford that right now.

no offense but that was kind of a heartless comment towards your dog! i would try pig ears or something really meaty to chew on, be careful though, you might want to have those outside only! they stain the carpet and/or get little pieces all over!
  • I have a dog who is exactly the same way. Like what Erica89 said, some dogs just aren't into toys. I've found that what my dog enjoys most is going on walks, napping and getting lots of affection, too. If you aren't already, I suggest starting basic training to give her mental stimulation and decrease boredom. I do clicker training, and my dog and I have a lot of fun with it!
  • Sundance does not seem to care much about toys either.  My former dog was a real frisbee dog so when I first got Sundance I tried playing that with him.  Sunny would watch the frisbee in flight, watch it land and then walk in the other direction.  Interestingly if he is playing with other dogs and toys he is a tad more interested and will run to fetch but is perfectly content to let the other dog gather up the ball or whatever and run back and forth with the other dog.  Sometimes if other dogs are playing with sticks he will join in but when they are not around he is just not interested.  Sunny has a couple nylabones (sp?) but only chews on them once in a while.  Sunny's interests at home include watching out the window and watching the antics of his two cats Joon and Tucker.  If the dog seems content without toys I certainly would not worry about it.
    barbara
  • How was saying she couldn't afford a second dog heartless?  I dont' get that one.

Some dogs don't know how to play.  They either didn't learn or they weren't allowed to play. You can try getting a squeaky toy, making noise with it yourself and when she's really excited giving in to her, you can try playing with the toys YOURSELF to get her interested, or you can accept that she's just too dignified to play with toys and get over it.  All dogs don't LIKE toys, and some enjoy just chilling out doing NOTHING.  They don't bore as easily as us humans do, so she isn't likely bored....if she were, she'd likely be getting into stuff.
  • [blockquote]quote:

;Please don't ask me to get another dog cos' as much as I would LOVE to, I can't afford that right now. [/blockquote]

no offense but that was kind of a heartless comment towards your dog!

I think the poster meant an additional playmate dog, not a replacement dog [;)]
  • ORIGINAL: Pooch_luvr

;Please don't ask me to get another dog cos' as much as I would LOVE to, I can't afford that right now.

no offense but that was kind of a heartless comment towards your dog! i would try pig ears or something really meaty to chew on, be careful though, you might want to have those outside only! they stain the carpet and/or get little pieces all over!

I don't think the OP meant give up the present dog - just that it wasn't possible right now to add a second dog to play with the first one...
  • 2 months is not a long time to bond with your new dog. My Sunny hated toys at first excpet for chewing on pig ears and rawhides. Please don't admonish me about rawhides. I am aware of the risks and one bone lasts her a month--she chews very slowly. I tried everything--a kong stuffed with peanut butter, sqeakies, tugs, etc. Finally she just started getting interested. I can get her to play with a squeaky for a few minutes when she is really excited--but only an animal shaped one. She loves her rat and her dog but hates her soccer ball and her squeaky bone. Last weekend I got her a treat ball dispenser and she loves that--I put cherrios in it b/c they are small enough and fall out easily. Using that is helping her figure out the kong a little better. I am now glad I did not give away her toys! Another thing I do is have her down/stay and hide treats all over the apartment and then release her and let her hunt--it is great fun. And (I copied this from the forum) I use plastic cups and hide a treat under one of three and make her find it. To avoid fattening her I subsitute dog food other than her regular kibble in the treat ball or under the cup--not a large amount, but just a few bites of something new. Anyway, it really took her about 3.5 months to come out of her shell with toys!
  • When I saw this topic I actually had to look twice to make sure I hadnt written it...lol

My Liz is just like your pup, she prefers to chill and lay around, and doesnt play very much she is SO mellow sometimes its frustrating, but ive found she likes stuffies and will sometimes play with them.

If she doesnt like her toys, I can get her a playmate in the future. I must admit I have the Collie bug!
  • You're right, spiritdogs....I'd NEVER give up Ginger. She's too precious to me. Yes...I meant to get her a playmate.

maremma, I've also tried the pig ears, rawhides, etc. Didn't work :( She licked them a few times and that's it! She doesn't like any kind of toys. I've tried playing it with her but she gets scared of squeaky ones! hahaha. She won't even play tug with a rope toy. I make sure all her toys are easily accessible but she's just not interested. She is nuts over peanut butter but if I put thepeanut butter in a kong, she wouldn't touch it. She'll just look at it from a distance and salivate all over my carpet! LOL!! 

Ah well...at least I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a dog that behaves that way!
  • ORIGINAL: Pooch_luvr

;Please don't ask me to get another dog cos' as much as I would LOVE to, I can't afford that right now.

No offense again, but she is true, if she cant afford another dog, how is she going to look after it properly.

Any way kian does'nt like toys, we have treid everything, we have learned that he does'nt like squeeky toys especially, & nearly every dogs toy squeeks! Although he does love his treats & especially our food as to which he is limited as he has had a skin condition.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I feel so much better now knowing that I'm not the only one going through this. For awhile there, I thought only my dog is weird! LOL! She does get lots of daily play time though with a neighbour's Husky. That keeps her happy and tired :)

Yes kian_dog, it wouldn't be fair on the 2nd dog if I were to get one now. I would not be able to give him/her the best. And I don't want to compromise on anything. But it's definitely something I will consider for the future. I would REALLY like another dog. I don't know what it is....it's hard to stop at just one! I'm sure it's like that for all you dog lovers too.
  • I know I'm late to this one but thot I'd put out one more thot here.

We all joke about our 'inner child' -- but truly with a dog there is also an 'inner puppy'.  Dogs tend to hold onto it easier than we humans and most dogs like to play with other dogs and with toys -- it's a complex set of behaviors that includes everything from dominance and top-dog-ism to just plain old PLAY for play's sake.

However, usually it's something in their background that either they were punished for or never exposed to that can make some dogs not like to 'play'.  And with some dogs that gets pretty severe and many of them never DO develop the ability to 'play'.

My Foxy the Mostlie Sheltie who I lost in Feb. at the age of 2 months shy of 19 was one of those dogs who never could 'play'.

He was literally TERRIFIED of toys when he was young -- and the whole concept of letting his guard down and 'playing' was totally foreign to him -- and I TRIED to teach him to 'play' as did my other dogs.  NOPE.  In fact it used to make him so nervous and uncomfortable that I stopped even getting him toys.  Being confronted with them truly made him unconfortable and nervous.

As he aged I discovered that he was not only happiest when he was with me (as a young dog he was terribly 'needy' and clingy), but since he was a herding dog, when he was given a 'job' to do he was far more happy.  Putting him in a situation where he could 'herd' things helped him -- but if the herded objects resembled toys -- NO WAY. 

As he got MUCH older he finally began to see a few stuffies as cuddle things.  Sliding a soft velour toy that didn't squeak easily under his chin or snuggled up next to him -- hmmm, that was ok. 

After we lost Muffin the Intrepid (whom Foxy was bonded seriously wtih -- they would 'cuddle' and sleep back to back at night most often) Foxy was bereft and I honestly thot he would just plain slip away in his sleep (he was 17 1/2) out of sheer grief. 

Aside from putting him in more formal obedience training (yep, at 17 1/2) and getting him more involved in pet therapy (which he loved) an interesting thing occurred.

My husband had gotten me a big stuffed sheepdog (not quite sheepdog real size but literally it was about as big as a 30 pound dog) -- it was something I kept on the bed and would toss off on the floor during the night.

Aha -- suddenly Fluffy the toy, became the surrogate 'best friend' of a lonely Mostlie Sheltie!! Many nights I found Foxy cuddled up next to Fluffy as he had with Muffin.  Fluffy wasn't warm, nor was he 'real' but he WAS comfort!

My point is -- some dogs likely have either been abused as puppies or have simply lived such a hard harsh life, that there was NO time for 'play' as a puppy and as a consequence, the 'inner puppy' gets lost.  That carefree part of a dog who simply revels in the joy of the moment of tearing something up, hearing it squeak and simply messing with it -- sometimes that part becomes 'lost'.  Sometimes you can, with training and desensitization, recover it -- sometimes you can't.
  • Hpw old is your dog? I know this may sound grossjavascript:void(AddText('[:/'(]')),but hear it goes anyway. I play with mine,I will put the toy in my mouth and growl. Get a brand new toy so it is not nasty. I get on the floor with my dog and new puppyhttp://forum.dog.com/asp/micons/m6.gif