Quick Post

Jellyfish Sting

Jellyfish Sting
  • I went to the beach for the weekend. This afternoon while I was swimming, I was stung by a jellyfish. I got out of the water, called the dogs to me & headed for the house. Once the dogs were inside, I hopped in the shower to wash the tentacles off. As soon as the water started hitting my hip/leg/butt/abdomen, I remembered that I should be washing in saltwater or vinegar. Unfortunately, it was too late because the water was already hitting me, & what was already pretty painful, is now about 10 times worse. I removed all of the tentacles, took some benadryl, & took some acetaminophen. The areas that were stung are very swollen & still throbbing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help reduce the swelling & discomfort?
  • Ouch. Well m,y cousins in florida awalys say to pee on it... i would never do it but ya know if your desperate, you might give it a try. Lol, im not sure if it'd work after you already rinsed it but they say it takes away the sting.  Could be a old wives tale though.  Sorry im not too much help!
  • Never been stung by one of those.  I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe an ice-pack?  Or some alcohol!!!  Hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • no alcohol.
    the urine thing just has to do with the acid-value, which is why vinegar is better.
    Definitely use ice.  Bummer for you!  Hope you feel better soon - it's likely going to be several days... [:(][&:]
  • well typically  ....the pee is a last resort to AMMONIA lol
    but since not many people carry bottles of ammonia with them to the beach if someone got stung they'd pee on it.
     that is the only remedy i have ever heard of working. i have been lucky all my years of beach bumming... never
    been stung by a jellyfish *knock on wood*
  • I have always heard of meat tenderizer and pee as well...although I always thought the pee was suppossed to be from someone who had been drinking which would mean alcohol but I could be wrong on that. 

I would call your doc and see what they suggest.  There is usually an after hours person you can talk to.
  • Did you ever see the Friends episode where Monica got stung by a jelly fish?  I think that was my favorite episode ever!
  • When I was in Hawaii, a girl got stung by one and ran screaming to the lifeguard stand.  They had a bottle of meat tenderizer and put some on it and it seemed to help.  I can't even imagine how painful it must be and I'm not sure it would help at this point, but it probably wouldn't hurt.
  • I called the doctors office & they recomended hydrocortisone cream as well.  They did advise me that if I started feeling worse, then I should go to the hospital.

I loved that Friends episode!  There is absolutely no way that I could have someone pee on me.[:'(]
  • ummmm OUCH.  i have nothing helpful to add.  just OUCH.
  • When I was in Hawaii, a girl got stung by one and ran screaming to the lifeguard stand. They had a bottle of meat tenderizer and put some on it and it seemed to help.

That's so funny, I had the exact same thing happen to me (but I was the one who got stung ;0)!  The meat tenderizer worked really well and the lifeguard swore by it.  I just remember standing in the shower afterwards and the blue barbs came out in the hot water, yuck.  I still have a scar on my neck from where the stupid thing wrapped around me.
  • .. not sure if it's true, but I've heard of using meat tenderizer. But, that could be an old wives tale?

Ouch! ... "washing the tentacles...." ((((GAG)))) Never was a worse sentance was uttered!

Hope you're feeling better soon!
  • ORIGINAL: BEVOLASVEGAS

I removed all of the tentacles...

Ewww!

ORIGINAL: ottoluv

I just remember standing in the shower afterwards and the blue barbs came out in the hot water, yuck. 

And Ewww!!! Just hearing about that gives me the heebie jeebies! One of the many reasons I don't go in the ocean, rivers, or lakes is because I'm terrified of creepy crawly and swimmy things.[:o]

Anyway Bevolasvegas, I hope you're feeling better now. It sounds like jellyfish stings are really painful!
  • No suggestions here but watch for it to come back in a few weeks. When I was stung last year in Jamaica the sting went away after a couple of days. Then 2 weeks later my skin broke out again in the area of the sting. It was inflammed and itchy all over again for another week.
  • I asked my dad this same question once and he looked at me like I was stupid and said,"You have to pee on it, or have someone else pee on it."  I know I know, I'm repeating, but just wanted to point out that it is or was apparently a very normal occurance on seine boats.  There are always jelly fish pulled up in the nets and getting stung was an everyday thing on the boats.  Plus pulling in the nets is hard work and you can't just keep dropping everything to run off to the gally to get some meat tenderizer.

O and BTW it sucks that it happened.