Quick Post

D-Mannose

D-Mannose
  • Anyone ever hear of it?  Or use it? Or use it for your dog?

Have a UTI right now and a student doctor at my doctors office told me about it....then when he walked out and I later asked the real doctor...she pretty much didn't act like she ever heard of it. 

Looked for it at Walgreens and a drugstore here that carries a lot of medical supplies...but not there. I guess a health food store might have it but maybe I'll look for it on the Internet.

• Dyan, I don't know about that.  But, do you like cranberry juice?  I just found Ocean Spray Diet cranberry and I love it.  I've even been mixing it with ginger ale at night too. 

•  Webmd says there is not enough evidence about it one way or the other, which probably means nobody has done any scientific research on it.

• willowchow
    Dyan, I don't know about that.  But, do you like cranberry juice?  I just found Ocean Spray Diet cranberry and I love it.  I've even been mixing it with ginger ale at night too. 

Yeah...just went thru one bottle of it Lori...along with cranberry pills.  But this student doctor told me that if he were me he would forget the cranberry and go with D-Mannose....it works better. Its a sugar ( without calories like the sugar we know ) that stops the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall....I do believe that is how cranberry juice helps. 

Thanks DougB....    seems weird this is a student doctor that told me this.  I think thats a good thing....doctors are actually listening to ways  to treat things without strong drugs!!!

• dyan
    But this student doctor told me that if he were me he would forget the cranberry and go with D-Mannose....it works better. Its a sugar ( without calories like the sugar we know ) that stops the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall....I do believe that is how cranberry juice helps. 

Gee whiz you guys -- where have you all BEEN????  I've been talking about d-mannose for YEARS now.  (seriously -- use the "search" on here and you'll find a list longer than your arm!!)

D-Mannose is magnesium made into a form of glucose -- **like cranberry** it works by bonding with infection cells and making them too "slick" to stick to the walls of the urinary tract. It's like cranberry ramped up -- and it doesn't have the acidic qualities that can make cranberry ill-advised in some situations.

You can get it as a powder (it looks and tastes JUST like confectioner's sugar) or as capsules.

This is NOT a Walgreens, Wal-mart or regular pharmacy thing.  This is a health store thing.  And, in fact, it can be hard to find (particularly reasonably).  So call around before you run your legs off looking for it.

My favorite brand is NOW Brand Foods (which is actually Canadian) and they DO have a locator on their website to help you find somewhere. 

I use it on me, and I use it on the dogs A LOT.  The sugar actually doesn't absorb into the body -- it just plain goes out in the urine. 

Now I will say this. Solaray (which is a so-called "premium" herbal manufacturer) has one that is a combo of cranberry and d-mannose and I do *NOT* like it.  It's fiercely expensive, and it's not 'enough' cranberry, nor is it 'enough' d-mannose to work right somehow.  I've used it on me AND the dogs and was very unhappy with a bottle of it.  But then again -- I'm not happy with much that's Solaray any more. 

The powder is FAR more cost effective than the capsules (which is typical).  And trust me - I don't have ANY problem getting the dogs to take it.  You can take it however you want to.  For the dogs, I give 1/4 - 1/2 teas depending on how difficult the threat of UTI is.  Billy took this HEAVILY all the while he was recovering from IMHA (because the UTIs were horrific and the d-mannose was the only thing that helped at all!!).

Regular doctors are so terrified of herbs and supplements they say "no" before thinking and they don't even try to be knowledgeable about them usually.  This stuff isn't cheap -- I think usually I pay about $25 for a pretty large bottle of the powder (comparing it to the normal size bottle of herbs/supplements) but it's ALL powder -- not just X no of capsules.  (which is why I said the powder is far more cost-effective).

It does work.  You can get it online pretty easily but I'd go with a well recognized name (I tend never to buy from websites that pretend to be "Guides" but are, in reality, simply sales vehicles.  Usually if it's not something they SELL they 'don't know about it'). 

This isn't an herb (and cranberry is considered an 'herb').  Think about it -- how do you "measure" to test something that's grown.  You can inspect, but how do you definitively say "how many tomatoes do you put in your spaghetti sauce??" -- you can't.  It depends on how much sauce you want, how BIG the tomatoes are, how 'fleshy' - i.e., what variety, how juicey?? It's an impossible question even to weigh because it all depends on how much liquid vs solid there is.

So herbs are tricky for them to watchdog.  So they've arrived at this word "standardized" -- which is a synonym for "averaged" --meaning it doesn't mean it's PURE ... it means into this much of a measure we know there is some bulky, non-herb stuff but on average this has ____ in it so that's our "standard".  It's a glittering generality that is kinda meaningless except it keeps out the really REALLY inferior stuff that just doesn't have ANY of the real herb in it.

But D-Mannose is chemical -- technically a supplement.  But it's derived from a mineral and manufactured.  So ... in pharmaceutical lingo it's easier to measure it so, hence - it's more acceptable I guess.

But it DOES work and it doesn't absorb into the body to 'stay' -- it just plain exits thru the urine.

•  D-mannose ROOOOCKS!!!! My doctor gave it to me, when I was 18, and had my first reallllly nasty UTI. No antibiotics. It wiped it out. I had to take mega doses (he gave the powder, and I had to mix and drink it, ew!), and take several herbs, with it, but it worked!! It's very good stuff. I use it for the dogs, too, but not as much as Callie has, for Billy.

• calliecritturs
    Gee whiz you guys -- where have you all BEEN????  I've been talking about d-mannose for YEARS now. 

LOL, THAT's where I had heard the name before!  I knew I had heard of it just couldn't place what it was about!!