Quick Post

Carpets/bile/vomit

Carpets/bile/vomit
  • I have white carpets.  And a doggy with a funny tummy.  Anyone know what REALLY works to get bile out? I mean...really.

The best thing I figured that pretty much works is dilute dilute dilute...with water...tons and tons of it.  Then....scrub with scrub brush...some soap..maybe dish soap, in warm water and possibly Resolve spot cleaner after its soaked already. And extract all the liquid with my carpet cleaner.  But gosh...Gibby threw up bile a couple of days ago..... somehow I pushed him in the kitchen...( while he was fighting to do it on the carpet by the fireplace ) and while I was cleaning it up he ran to finish on the carpet by the fireplace.   At that, I grabbed something to put on the floor where he was going to barf...and much of it landed on it...but SOME got the carpet.  Even though it wasn't a lot...it still took me I bet an hour of working on it before I got it looking decent.

There MUST be a better way.

• Our last house had light tan carpets and, while I didn't have a huge bile puke problem, I found OxyClean helpful in getting dog diarrhea spots out nicely.

Now I unfortunately am renting a house with the most godawful brown carpet ever.

• I have whites too.  So far the absolute best product is the Bissell Oxy stuff.  Pour that on and it literally lifts the stain out before your eyes!  I used it in our care on the upholstery where I knew someone had spilled soda years ago even though there was no longer a stain.  The Oxy basically lifted the stain out from deep within the upholstery and I suck it away for good.  It doesn't bleach either b/c our car upholstery was not white.

I know your pain.  Kenya ate a bottle (pills and part of the bottle) of my DH's seizure medication and threw up 7 times bright yellow bile on white carpet.

• I sense a theme here, so I'll continue it, lol. Wink

I've used Woolite Oxy Deep with success on bile spots.

BTW, Happy Birthday Dyan! Cake

• aerial1313

BTW, Happy Birthday Dyan! Cake

Hey thanks......how did you know?  Oh wait....facebook???   I still don't understand that place...lol!

So Oxy Clean...in any form.....huh? I have Woolite Pet Oxygen and Woolite Oxy Deep....not sure what I thought about either of them when I first bought them......but didn't use either on my last clean up job.  I guess most of my problem is that some of these things make big white spots....and sometimes still leave the REAL spot a little discolored. So.................the big white area draws your attention to the spot in the middle.   My bottle looks a little different than that picture..mine must be quite a bit older.  Now if I have a bile thing again....I need to keep those out to use before trying anything else.

• I use the Bissell Oxy stuff too.  I also have a Spot Bot that helps out, a lot!

•  

When I lived with my ex we had white carpet with five dogs. You can imagine! I found Kleen Warrior (I actually bought it from a sales lady that came into my work) in the soap dispenser of a steam cleaner works better than anything. Be careful not to get too much liquid on your carpets even if you do run over it with a carpet cleaner if it happens a LOT. It will eventually mildew the pad underneath and stretch the carpet. Our carpet was eventually ruined from the amount of steam cleaning I did. Ex thought it was a good idea to soak the areas in water first. He was wrong!
  • Beejou
    Be careful not to get too much liquid on your carpets even if you do run over it with a carpet cleaner if it happens a LOT. It will eventually mildew the pad underneath and stretch the carpet. Our carpet was eventually ruined from the amount of steam cleaning I did. Ex thought it was a good idea to soak the areas in water first. He was wrong!

EEKS!  A few years back I was talking to a lady at Home Depot. She worked in the carpeting department...said to get that job they are sent for training...and have to learn everything there is about carpets before going on the floor. She said they taught her that when there is a spot on the carpet to delute - delute - delute with water first....to always try to lighten the stain with water as much as you can..and then clean. 

I have realized though that the best thing to do is after doing all that to use my steam carpet cleaner NOT to clean it but to extract the water until there is no more coming out.  I sure hope it doesn't mildew.

•  White.... carpet???????

You people are nuts! I have NO carpet LOL.

•  Rent, no choice. *shrug*

• jennie_c_d

White.... carpet???????

You people are nuts! I have NO carpet LOL.

Yep NUTS. However,,,, I almost think it might be less problem than a darker color...because I have seen what some of these chemicals do to change those colors...and its worse than lightening up a spot on the white sometimes.    Hahaha...TWEED would be great. Actully...yes jennie, NONE would be best. BUT my big dogs would probably ruin any wood...you should see all the marrs on my kitchen floor which is linoleum.

• dyan

I have realized though that the best thing to do is after doing all that to use my steam carpet cleaner NOT to clean it but to extract the water until there is no more coming out.  I sure hope it doesn't mildew.

Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the opposite.  Joey has the bile puke problem.  99% of the time, I find it after it's dried and then it really is a pain to clean.  (I'll take the tips above for $1000 Alex.)  BUT, if you catch them puking, like you did with Gibby, do clean it right away with the steam cleaner.  Joey puked the other night and I immediately ran over it with the steam cleaner and presto! no staining, no hassle.  I didn't use any cleaner on it first, just literally ran over it with the steamer (using the solution in the steamer) a few times and all was good.

• scrubsfiend

Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the opposite.  Joey has the bile puke problem.  99% of the time, I find it after it's dried and then it really is a pain to clean.  (I'll take the tips above for $1000 Alex.)  BUT, if you catch them puking, like you did with Gibby, do clean it right away with the steam cleaner.  Joey puked the other night and I immediately ran over it with the steam cleaner and presto! no staining, no hassle.  I didn't use any cleaner on it first, just literally ran over it with the steamer (using the solution in the steamer) a few times and all was good.

Okay...I came here for suggestions and I'm going to listen to them...try them.   I have a Bissell Quick Steamer...its a very light weight and not a professional type cleaner.  AND I have a Shark Steam Pocket ( think that is what I just read ) which is a steamer...not made for carpets especially but read reviews on the Internet that people have used for such, but I never took it out of the box yet.  I bought it in November NOT for carpet but because I got a good deal on it and thought I could use it for several things eventually...just never have yet.  So, please tell me in your opinion what you would use out of this.  That morning I soaked it with plain water.... and then scrubbed with brush and dish soap and sprayed a little Resolve Spot lifter only on the spot when I saw it still seemed darker there, then extracted with my Bissell Quick Steamer.  I can't see that spot....but I sure spent a lot of time there that morning.

•  I doubt the Steam Pocket would do much, as it is not an extractor.  I have had the best luck with the Bissell Spot Bot for quick clean ups...just push a button and five minutes later it's done.  Sure, it's another little gadget, but it's easy and fast.

•  I just can't imagine, LOL. Gibby's such a big boy, with those big, beautiful pawprints. I hope you find what works best for you. My bedspread got a couple of stains from Emma yakking bile on it.