Quick Post

my dog gets too tired to walk...

my dog gets too tired to walk...
  • i have a blue heeler x bluetick coon hound and lately whenever i walk him, he wants to lay down about 10 minutes into the walk. i give him water before the walk as well as bringing a bottle of water for him to drink from, so i dont think hes getting dehydrated. the temps have been anywhere from 70-90 degrees lately with high humidity. is it common for either of these breeds to dislike the heat? i figured the heeler side of him should definitely be able to withstand the heat seeings as how its an australian breed, and i figured the coon hound side of him would be the same because he's meant to be an outdoor/hunting dog. i could be wrong, maybe most breeds are like this? i feel bad because i was taking him for walks everyday, but it almost seems useless now. he's not getting much exercise out of the walks.  he just wants to lay down in every shady spot. on the other hand its kind of nice that hes super chilled out when its hot because anytime it cools down, he's like the super energetic dog that can easily get on my nerves, haha. well, i'm just curious if this is pretty common amongst the two breeds that my dog is made up of.

oh yeah...thats Porter...he's 8 months now...will be 9 on the 28th.
  • He's a handsome devil! [;)]  I personally try to walk mine during the off hours of the day when it's a little cooler, at least in the summer.  I've actually found night walks quite enjoyable and usually go that route on really warm days.  During the day we settle for running around the back yard if they've got energy to burn. 

When was the last time he's been to the vet?  I wonder if he could have a pulled muscle that's causing him some discomfort.  But it could very well be the heat, I know my guys pant like heck when I try to walk them during the heat of the day.
  • He might just be being stubborn. I had a Lab/Baset mix who would do the same thing when she didint want to go on a walk with me.

However it is pretty hot outside these days so maybe you can try taking him forawalk at sunset or early morning.

If you cant do that then maybe you can set up some jumps inside you house and teach him to jump them like in agility. You can make jumps by leaning a broom handle from a chair seat to the ground then asking him to jump over it. If you have a treadmill insdie your house that could work, too.
  • i should probably get him to the vet sometime soon just for a normal check up, money has been really tight lately though. i really doubt that he pulled any muscles though. he still gets his occassional bursts of energy and goes runnin through the house with no problems at all. i'm guessing its just the weather. i just thought that the two breeds hes made up from would be able to withstand the heat. maybe not though.
  • It's possible he's being stubborn, but it's also possible that he's just plain hot.  In the summer, I prefer to walk my dog either early or late in the day (usually late, because I like to sleep in), when the sun isn't as high.  You could even walk in the dark, but I don't like to.  Lately, Riley and I have been hanging out in the basement alot, since the air conditioner is broken.  It's usually freezing down there, but now I appreciate it.  We even slept down there last night, and plan to sleep down there again tonight.  Besides, my dad snores really, really, really loud.

This is a cool little thing where you enter your area and dog's info and it tells you all about the weather, the best time to walk your dog, mosquito activity, etc.
    [linkhttp://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/pets/?from=secondarynav]http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/pets/?from=secondarynav[/link]
  • thanks, that was a really cool link. i think i'm gonna try that indoor agility stuff right now...lets see how quick he'll learn to jump a broomstick...
  • My dog is actually the same way but she seems to have the problem mostly at the turn of the weather - when winter becomes spring. She is a 60lb. German Shepherd and usually very active. I asked my vet about this and she said that it's not uncommon for dogs that shed (especially big dogs) to get lethargic when the weather changes. They haven't lost all their hair yet and they are just too hot. Maybe she's right and maybe she's reaching but, it's very hot here now, the dog has lost all her fur and she's back to her old self!

[linkhttp://LargeDogBreedz.com]http://LargeDogBreedz.com[/link] - Your Online Large Dog Breed Information Gateway
    [linkhttp://LargeDogBreedz.com][/link]
  • ORIGINAL: dew

thanks, that was a really cool link. i think i'm gonna try that indoor agility stuff right now...lets see how quick he'll learn to jump a broomstick...

lol!  That's a good idea.  I think I'll try it, too because Riley and I are just sitting here with nothing to do.
  • well, he learned to jump the broomstick pretty quick, but he didnt last too long. only got about 10 jumps in. i guess thats good enough for the first round. after that i tried teaching him to catch a foam frisbee. playing frisbee with my dog is one of my goals, so i'm starting off with some short tosses indoors with a foam frisbee. he was all over it, but only managed to catch one. we'll have to try it again tomarrow.
  • At 8 months he shouldn't be doing too much outside summer walking, especially if the first thing he's doing is to look for shade.  Puppies, even at 8 months, are alot like children and older people- they don't thermoregulate all that well. 

If he's getting hot and panting alot, moisten the outside of his ears with some of that water, and moisten his underbelly just a little bit as well.  This is very helpful to cool dogs down.
  • if theres big puddles, he usually likes to lay in them if he's hot, so i let him. i'll be sure to moisten his ears next time. at what age do they begin to thermoregulate? what are some good exercise activities for my 8 month old if summer walking is a bit too much? i try and take him out later on when its cooler at night, but sometimes the walk just fits better into my schedule during the day. thanks for the cooling down tips.
  • There are days that my dogs don't get a walk.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  Right now, with the heat, we're more likely to do a rousing game of fetch, both morning and evening, but that is determined by the temps.  Yesterday, nada.  It was almost 90 degrees and they were much happier hanging out inside the AC than even playing out in their yard with their little swimming pool.

Dogs "sweat" by panting and through the pads of their feet, so I always keep a wading pool of cool water for them to put their feet in.
  • If he wants to lay down in shady spots then he is tired and hot! He's not being stubborn. My husky loves to walk/run but when she's hot or has had enough she'll go straight for a shady spot and lay down. Don't try to force it, the dog is telling you that he's had enough.

Plus a pup like that just can't handle the weather mixed with long walks yet.

Save your walks for cooler hours, such as in the mornings or after 8-9pm and stick to wooded areas if you have them.
  • if he's only 8 months old you shouldn't be jumping him. Walk in the early am. Dogs are NOT heat-tolerant regardless of breed. Most prefer it to be nice and cold. Even 70 degrees can make a dog need to take frequent cooling breaks.
  • ORIGINAL: dew

if theres big puddles, he usually likes to lay in them if he's hot, so i let him. i'll be sure to moisten his ears next time. at what age do they begin to thermoregulate? what are some good exercise activities for my 8 month old if summer walking is a bit too much? i try and take him out later on when its cooler at night, but sometimes the walk just fits better into my schedule during the day. thanks for the cooling down tips.

Those are some HUGE clues.  Rather than one long walk, try breaking it up into several smaller ones of 5-15 minutes.  Let him go at his own pace. 

Your pup will start thermoregulating as his body matures into adult form, but that doesn't mean he will be heat tolerant.  He needs to be gradually introduced to the heat, and allowed to cool down via shade or the way that Glenda suggested as he needs it. 

Another thing to consider is that at 8 months your pup is still growing.  When pups grow they are more tired than usual and they will sleep for an inordinate time period.  When my pup was in a growing phase, there were days when he'd sleep 18-20 hours.  So if your pup isn't interested in walking and seems interested only in resting, his body is probably telling him that it's the right thing to do.