Quick Post

HELP! My dog ate a bird!

New Topic
HELP! My dog ate a bird!
  • Our 9lb Chihuahua/Dachshund mix just threw-up what looks to be the remainder of bird. [:'(]  I'm talking bones, claws, and tons of feathers.  We were wondering...can this be dangerous to him, or is his body just getting rid of the non-edible material.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
     
    Thank you!
  • Well 1st congats on your little hunter!  Also welcome to the forum.  If the bird was alive I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable people along to post there replies.  Just relax for now.[8D]
  • While this isn't a truly abnormal thing, it sounds like you have NO idea when or where he ate said bird.  In my neck of the woods, there are a ton of bird carried illnesses and dogs CAN catch those.
     
    I would take him to the vet for some blood work just to be safe.
     
    Then, I'd keep a much closer eye on him so he isn't making inappropriate things into a snack.  When you are walking him, "leave it" and "drop it" are two invaluable commands.  We came across the innards of a deer over the winter...why on earth hunters are supposed to "field dress" a deer is beyond me but apparently they are SUPPOSED to leave the guts in the woods by law.....and my crew BADLY wanted those innards, but they responded to "leave it" and just stared.
     
    Dogs are gonna be dogs, but I prefer to know that what they are eating is "fresh kill" and not something that died of an illness.
  • why on earth hunters are supposed to "field dress" a deer is beyond me


    Off-topic - They have to do it b/c leaving the blood and innards inside spoils the meat and can leave the deer too heavy to carry out.

    On-topic - I think as long as he threw up most of it, the biggest potential problem would be sickness from the bird like Glenda already said.  However, if he continues throwing up or acting sick, then I'd take him to the vet ER to check for an obstruction.
  • I wouldn't think that it would be anything to worry about just because dogs are nautral hunters. That's just me though. My cats have eaten birds before and never been hurt by it. Maybe you should call you vet and ask him/her about it.
  • Bones, claws and feathers with no meat (muscle)? I wonder if he ate a dead bird that was decayed rather than a live bird he caught...definitely call the vet and see if any of the birds in your area carry something that could hurt him.
     
    It must have been pretty small if a 9 pound dog could eat the whole thing. Perhaps he got a baby bird that fell out of its nest and died. It would be small, and mostly feather and bone. Did you keep the remains for the vet?
     
    If it makes you feel better, my old dog caught a blue jay and ate part before I could get it away from him and he was fine.
     
    Good luck!