Quick Post

what is considered "senior"

what is considered "senior"
  • About a year ago, or a little over a year I guess, i adopted an older dog. By best estimates Whinny's current age is about 9 years old. she is still very active (by this i mean at least 3 walks a day, one of them being an hour long off leash hike through hill terrain) and has no health problems to speak of. I guess im just wondering when/if she is a "senior" mostly for purposes of nutrition. should i be supplementing w/ glucosamine at this point? im sure this question may have been asked many times for which i apologize if this is awfully redundant!
    here she is:
  • Aww, she's a cute dog!

On average a dog is considered a senior at age 7, but it really depends on the breed/size of the dog. Usually, the bigger the dog, the earlier they're considered "Senior".

Hopefully someone else will come along to answer your glucosamine question. [:)]
  • I agree with Audkal.  I think it would actually depend on the breed.  Little dogs that usually live to be 15 years old could hardly be called a senior at 7, but a breed how usually only lives to be 9 would be considered senior.  With goldens as I have, the life expectancy is 10 to 12 years.  My Buck is 11, so i consider him "very senior".  KayCee will be 7 in Aug. and it is hard to consider her senior.  I think most people tend to consider a dog senior once he has arthritis, is getting gray faced, slows down, sleps a lot, etc.  that does not always work.  My 11 year old Buck has very little gray.  He does have arthritis.  He always trots instead of walking except when on leash.  But he is indeed very senior. My son & DIL;s chocolate lab mix just turned 5 and has a lot of  gray on her face.  Deends on the dog I reckon.

Anyway, NO it is not to early to start  your dog on the glucosamine/msm or which ever joint sup you opt for.  Usually by the time we know they have arthritis, it is pretty well established.  Chances are your dog already has a touch of it, but just not showing it yet.  My almost 7 year old golden had knee surgery at 16 months and again on her other knee a little over a year later and she has been on glucosamine/MSM ever since and I even added the SynoviG3 supplemtn afterher 2ed surgery.  I get it at my vets.
  • thanks for the helpful advice!!
  • I guess im just wondering when/if she is a "senior" mostly for purposes of nutrition.

I go based on health.  My 9 year old boy Riggs I do NOT consider a senior in terms of health.  He acts like he did when he was 5.

My 14 yr old girl Neke has been a "senior" in terms of health since the day she had her FHO surgery at 9 yrs of age.  That's when I first started giving her additional suppliments.  Then again when she was diagnosed at about 12 with Spondylosis.  She will be going in next week for a check-up to see if we can figure out what's wrong with her face.  One side droops.  Might be stroke, might be neurological.  She's due for bloodwork, too.
  • Your dog will begin to show signs of aging based on its quality of life, condition of health, size, breed and hereditary considerations. It will vary from dog to dog.

Medium sized dogs,such as spaniels, may begin to show signs of aging around 7 or 8 years of age. Giant breeds may do this as early as 5 or 6 while small/toy breeds may wait around until 9 or so. Again, remember these figures are approximations.
  • I agree with the premise that each dog ages differently at different ages , just like people do.  My girl is a small terrier and is only 9.  Her breed, cairn terrier, usually lives to between 15-18 years.  But she is full of arthritis, has super bad allergies, hip displaysia and is basically a couch potato now.  She no longer jumps up on the bed and couch like she did before.  She started slowing down just this last year.  And I have taken her to the vet often and feed her a super premium food, always have.