Quick Post

Growing Too Fast & Puppy Food Diet

Growing Too Fast & Puppy Food Diet
  •  i have two contradicting stories... one person (and lately i am no longer considering her as a reliable source of doggy info) says that feeding a pup a diet that slows their growth rate is bad and will damage the pup when it becomes an adult. her justification is when she sold a GSD to someone who fed it this sort of diet and it got hip dysplasia(sp)

but in a BOOK i read that a diet like that is better for large breed dogs who may suffer from such joint problems....

so which is it? and what EXACTLY does that diet consist of? low protein? high protein? Would feeding a pup a raw diet from the start be a bad or good thing?

• DumDog
    in a BOOK i read that a diet like that is better for large breed dogs who may suffer from such joint problems....

Slow consistent growth is better for large breed dogs.  See http://www.greatdanelady.com/

She recommends Eagle Large/Giant Breed Puppy Food or Eagle Natural Pack - 23% protein 12% fat.  http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/puppy_feed_program_2006_htm.htm

DumDog
    Would feeding a pup a raw diet from the start be a bad or good thing? 

Done right it can be a good thing.  Done wrong it can be a bad thing, but there are lots of raw feeding breeders.  Generally it is recommended that one learn to raw feed on an adult dog before trying it on a puppy - especially a large breed puppy.

NOTE:  Not everyone likes the Great Dane Lady.  Not everyone agrees with raw feeding.  <grin>

• well mainly i'm asking for my cousin because she has recently gotten an American Bulldog puppy (9 weeks old) she has been feeding her adult chihuahua raw, chicken necks plus tiny amounts of liver etc. i DONT know how much research she has done on her own but she's feeding the pup raw too.

she told me she was feeding them pig feet and i warned her (via another source) pig or cow feet may not be the best idea for the main diet.... so i think she's gone back to feeding chicken necks etc.  

• I'm not knowledgeable about raw diets, but I do know that studies have shown that excess calcium can cause puppies to develop joint problems and arthritis.

If I fed a puppy raw, I would only do it after research into the optimum levels of calcium and phosphorus etc. for puppies to produce slow growth. And I would make sure not to exceed those levels.

• DumDog
    has been feeding her adult chihuahua raw, chicken necks plus tiny amounts of liver etc.

I am not qualified to give recipes for a raw diet, but this sounds very restrictive to me.  You should probably take this discussion to the Nutrition forum.

• yes you're probably right. 

• I think the biggest problem is simply too many calories leading to rapid growth.  People tend to feed puppies and young dogs too much because they want them to grow up "big and strong" ;) Calc/Phos ratio also contributes, but the main issue is growth all over the body - bones, muscle, tendons, etc.

• The problem is NOT protein.  Puppies need high protein....or let's say "higher" protein.  But it's the calcium that's not good for larger breed dogs.  So for labs, we aren't supposed to feed a food that's higher than 1.5% calcium.  But it is a proper ratio between calcium and phosphorous. 

I am thinking if you feed a raw diet that is unbalance in that there are far more bones and such than muscle meat, you are messing with the ratio and possibly adding more calcium than is required.

• thanks CL, and everyone else! i passed this info on to my cousin.

i appreciate it!