November

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

November

It's hard to believe we're already into the first weekend of November! I tried to stay up for the 7th game of the World Series--too late for me, but what a game. Today's a teaching day, so I'm off to class in a bit.

• Gold Top Dog

I too was unable to see game 7. Woke up in the bottom of the 8th, saw the score as nd said something I can't repeat here and went right back to sleep. I did wake up to see the awards ceremony. Really enjoyed our long weekend in ME. Other than Dixies unauthorized freedom romp.

Tuesday meant back to the real world. Allergy testing again for me and a breathing test that I did poorly on. Three inhalers later there was marked improvement. I've got a regular inhaler and two that relax the bronchial spasms I didn't realize I was having. That and singular made a huge improvement.

Yesterday I got two injections of drug called xolair. For the first time in months I did not wake up coughing and hacking and did not have to devote 30-40 minutes expelling mucos!!! What a gift. I actually feel good today. I've felt like crap or so so or ok but can't remember the last time I actually felt GOOD!! Major bonus!

I'm happy today.

• Gold Top Dog

Happy election day, everyone! I, for one, will be glad when the ads are gone. Voted when I got home--was #81 at our island voting precinct. This number thing is a big deal here--not sure how many will vote--I think there's about 150 registered voters on the island and several did absentee ballots. We'll get the tally tomorrow (posted just outside the post office). Can you say rural?!

Glenda, are you feeling better?? Yikes--what a time you've had lately!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Still to hot out to run the dog for long.  Ticks are still active, as are fleas.  Waiting for the last of the green tomatoes to ripen-there are still a few and no frost yet.

Our highway reopens tomorrow.  No more detour until next year.  The old roadbed through town has been dug out and removed, then replaced with black dirt so it can be farmed.

I picked up some black walnut logs to use for wood turning.  They were being scrapped out at our recycling area-a whole walnut tree.  I loaded up what I could lift.  Millled one chunk down to see what it looked like.  Should be nice if it dries without cracking.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

The new highway(all 4 lanes) is now open.  You can see the vehicles going by, but can not hear them.  Plus thanks to the excavation work, we have a clear water view now.  Granted, it is the city settling pond, but it sparkles blue in the sun and as long as the wind is not from the south, you don't really notice any smell.

Sky came back from the dog park covered with fleas.  The front line is not a fast killing product, so I heard wife scream.  Dog has had a full bath and a spray treatment that seems to have worked.  Bedding had been washed, the floors have been treated with a eco friendly flea killer(?) and surfaces have been vacuumed.  W

Wife and daughter are plotting the overthrow of the President elect.  Not happy campers.

• Gold Top Dog

wow Doug. Must be nice! We've already had a few hard freezes. Right now its a balmy 29 degrees. Sunny though......

Kate thanks for asking. Doing much better since the shots. I've got a rash which isn't excema but have had it before so am keeping my eye on it for now. I just want to feel my real age again and not 20 years older! Gettimg there I think

While I'm not thrilled with the election results I'm really unhappy with the way so many people are behaving. It saddens me to see so much hatred and bigotry expressed in our nation.

And that will be the extent of my political commemts

I think we've all had enough!

About to make my dreaded Saturday trip to the grocery for milk and creamer. Sure hope I'm not in line half the day!

• Gold Top Dog

Just a quick check-in. We had to have Mom taken to the hospital Friday morning because she was having a harder time than usual breathing--they found she had a lot of fluid on her lungs. They're monitoring cardiac "stuff" and have used meds to get a lot of of the fluids out. (She has severe emphysema--on high levels of oxygen 24/7.)

On a positive note--Rock got an award yesterday for his inspirational journey from an emaciated dog to pet therapy dog. He got a new stuffed toy which made him very happy :-)  I'll try to post a picture--he was a very good boy during the presentation and at the meeting as a whole. He didn't burp once! (He's very good at burping--a 6 year old's dream dog :-)

• Gold Top Dog

Forgot to add: Doug, your scored big time with the walnut! Wow! Fleas--yuck! Sandra, I saw the picture you posted of Moose--can't believe how big he is! Glenda, I'm glad you're feeling better.

• Gold Top Dog

Kate -- will keep your Mom in my prayers!  Don't want you going thru what I've gone thru the past year.  (I knew my time was coming but did it have to hit me like a tsunami?)

I don't think ever in my life I've felt the fear I've felt in the past week.  Friday nite here inOrlando there was a Trump "rally" (why?  the electoin is OVER ... can we let it be so? or do we all just have to keep stirring the pot?) .... then oof course Saturday morning was a Veteran's Day Parade and then the "gay" Pride parade.  

Orlando is still just reeling.  I understand we're not typical -- between Disney, Universal and all the "movie" and "Arts" that brings here -- there is a huge LGBT popularion ... and a whole LOT of them are friends of mine.  The air fairly shimmers with unrest.  

I'm not a fearful person ... but just seeing the emotional climate ... it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Looking at Moose, whats his weight. He is handsome.   We have a Pyr cross at our dog park named Walter.  He was in two of Skys' obedience classes.  Nice 120 lb dog.  It was interesting watching him develop.  He is a very deliberate dog.  You tell him to sit, he does.  It just takes a bit of time to move that much dog.  His coordination has really improved now and he runs gracefully.  He and Sky were playing together chasing and jumping over a downed tree, and gumming each other as much as possible.  

My trees are done dropping leaves, and my neighbor vacuumed up the last of them from his yard, so I guess we are ready for winter.  Wife picked a handful of beans, then pulled the plants.  Brought in the last few green tomatoes .  There may be one more big squash to bring in before the frost hits this week.  But the mosquitos have thinned out.  Probably going to have a green Thanksgiving.

Found a listing for the book " The Constitution for Dummies".  Thinking about sending a case full to DC.

MN elected a third party none traditional candidate once-Jessie  (the Body) Ventura.  A nice man who spent a few years screwing up state finances.  He had the state take on a bigger share of public education finances, cut taxes, had to "borrow" money from the school budget to make the state budget balance-which meant the schools had to borrow money to operate- and left the next governor with the problem of broken schools while bragging that he had cut taxes..  MN is proud of its schools  and we have them back on track now.  I hope Trump can be an effective president, but I have strong doubts.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow has it been a crazy month already? Kate I am sorry about your Moms turn.  Sending prayers .  I got a laugh out of your rural story.  We are also Rural, we vote at the local community building which was the "original one room schoolhouse"  from  Cival War to 1965  .  We all gather to vote and check on how everyone is doing. We are not on  an island but standing in line is usually no more than 5 deep.

Callie I hop you are finally getting things settled.   I know it has been an ordeal.  Sending hugs

Doug, sounds like we are having the same weather. Gather up the last tomatos a couple of weeks ago then it got warm again  and there are blooms.  I actually saw a lilac blooming in town, that poor guy is very  confused.   Now we have a frost coming and they say some cool weather next week.  We will see.

Take care all, gotta go see Moose

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda forgot to say how happy I am that you are feeling better.  

Sandra Moose is beautiful, My Garth is  a Pyr mix and they don't look a bit like each other

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Our weatherman (curses on him) is forecasting snow.  Snow is of course a four letter word.  He used "measurable" to describe snow spread over three days.  My grandson want s to go chase pheasants with Sky and me on one of those days.  He loves dogs and his fathers thing is golf.  Always good having a bird boy along.

We haven't had measurable rain for a couple of weeks, and some fields still have pooled water.  The ground is still saturated.  1" of rain = 10" of snow.  This could be a short intense winter.

• Gold Top Dog

Snow?!? Measurable?!? That's just not right! Though it is November, so I guess we have to start thinking of the winter weather. I'll take the snow-just no ice, thank you very much. It's in the 50s here with rain. The rest of the week is supposed to be pretty decent. Mom was moved to rehab today. (It is the place she wanted--she has been there before and they are good. The staff remembered her and there is a very low staff turn-over rate. They must be doing something right.) I don't know what the future will bring--but for now, she's getting good care. The dogs are not happy that Grandma isn't home--I keep forgetting their after-dinner treats that she gave them every night.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Had snow  but nothing that didn't melt.  Wind and cold were interesting.  Had a report of 24" accumulated up north, but the sun is shining here.  It is cold.  Sky spent about an hour  investigating rabbit smell in a patch of yew under our front window.  The rabbit exited under power when Sky jumped in and failed to see the cotton tail vanish down the line of house.  .

Grand daughters birthday tomorrow .