October-Pumpkin spice and other odd things

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
[$provider]
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

October-Pumpkin spice and other odd things

Ever watch a Pyrenees play in a mud puddle. Lovely white hair turning brown. Owners face turning white. Our dog park is drying out now, and we can use the Lowes equipment, but one front corner of the park is a bog. Part of the riverside walking trail has washed out and cut the trails width in half for a ways. But the weather has been great and the park is now home to a revolving crowd of people and dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

that pyrs owner might not realize that all that lovely mud will brush right out. those magnificent coats have the amazing ability to shed dirt.

Raw miserableweather here. 50's and raining the last three daya and more to come tomorrow. Goes well with all three of us having purely miserable head colds. I think my immune system is in hiding because I've dealt with shingles a massive excema outbreak, the stress related allergic reaction and then a yeast infection. Now the head cold. Doesnt seem real fair!

Took today off as a lazy day after a marathon of cooking.Scrambled myself eggs this morning since I actually felt hungry and just put some chili on to heat. Trying to decide if I have the energy to whip up a paln of cornbread. Think I might be able to manage that!

Hope everyone else is healthy!

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda - my whole year has been  like that -- after the NINE abx I was on for the cellulitis (including the IV abx) it screwed up my immune system so bad I was having allergic reactions to EVERYTHING.  I haven't even been able to have pepper on a baked potato without going into hives.  *ugh*  

• Gold Top Dog

((Hugs))  Callie and Glenda  hope you can get over all that nasty stuff soon.  I had shingles a few years back and am finally old enough to take the shot and insurance will pay  I wouldn't want anybody to ever to have shingles.

• Gold Top Dog

Hope all survived the hurricane. Friends in NC got hit hard and are still without power. Lots of rain here, and cancelled ferries, but the wind seems to be cooperating. Tomorrow's forecast: Sunny! I pretended to clean the house today...

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

The Vikings won.  Thats 4 in a row.  I may have to start watching them.

Sky seems to really enjoy jumping hurdles.  He attacks the dog park hurdle at full speed, lifts off well back, and hits the ground running.  Looks to be grinning while doing this.  Someday, he will think about his fence as a hurdle.  Dog park has been real wet lately.  Watched a Brit and another youngster running through a section throwing a wake.

Went to an auction yesterday .  Cold and hard to find, so not many people.  Got a real bargain on an electric generator.  Lots of collectable stuff and lots of new shiny objects,  I don't know where they hid them all in the house.

My son has to relocate his tile store and has found a new location with what are better features.  This one has a real store front with glass and parking.  He has it planned pretty well, and the first of Nov, he will start moving out pallets of product and fixtures using hired help.  I may get to sit this one out, but I did offer to help.

Son and his family were down today for dinner.  His daughters are the two that hug a lot, so they are always welcome.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I am officially married to an old lady.  Wifes' birthday yesterday .  The 40th anniversary of her 30th birthday.  So I baked her a cake-it turned out good. Her present should arrive Wed, according to the tracker program. Had a few friends in to help eat the cake.  There is a point where you really don't look forward to birthdays.  Glad to see them, but don't need a party.

Had Sky out for about 2 hours for pheasant opener.  He put up two birds.  I didn't fire at either, but it was a good time.  Now to work with Sky on distance.  I used to just jog after the dog, but don't enjoy that any more.  

Local car dealer has an Infinity Q56 on his lot.  Internet research shows I can not afford one, but the do look good.  Probably fit nicely into the garage.  My F150 is using oil.  Probably needs rings, bearings and gaskets replaced.  That would cost more than a new motor.

Mosquitos have thinned out.  No killing frost yet, but soon. Garden is done, trees are through, grass is still green and lush, but growth has slowed, and the neighbor has already vacuumed his yard once.  My trees are starting to drop leaves, and, with luck, a good wind will drop them on the neighbors yard.  It usually does.

• Gold Top Dog

Doug -- be careful of the mud you sling on your wife -- that has a nasty habit of rubbing off on you?  *rolling eyes*  -- but my husband is older than I am but *I* wouldn't say that! LOL  

We're having to go back up to Jamestown, NY this weekend and HOPEFULLY this time I can accomplish something.  It's taken the attorney up there  FIVE MONTHS to get me appointed.  He's a putz - there is no other word (that I can type here) to fit.  HE doesn't care that I'm going to have to pay to winterize this home because HE couldn't be bothered to do his job.  I am SO over this idiot but he's nearly the only game in town and HE has all the papers.  grrrr.  

But ME going to NY this time of year has necessitated new wardrobe -- like I'm going to wear a flannel shirt in Orlando any time soon??? Prolly not.  But I'll need that and more up there.  I just HATE having to pack it.  *lol* it's amazing how much easier it is to pack a t-shirt and knit pants than 3 sweaters and heavy shirts yuck!!

• Gold Top Dog

Happy Birthday to your wife Doug.  

Callie, too bad your trip wasn't today, they like many others are having a heat wave.   I know we have set a few October heat records in AR.  I hear that the front we are getting this afternoon will drop the temps to more normal for our area.  I hate that you have to go thru all this, wish you could just be done with it and move on.  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

My wife is actually younger than me.  About a month younger, but for some reason, i am not old. Yet.  

Sky is missing a piece of skin, and it may be my fault.  he ran through a corn field and came out covered with burrs.  I used a scissors to clean him up and may have cut too close.  To the vets in a few minutes.  It doesn't bother Sky, until I clean it or mess around it.  Then, i have to tell him to hold still, and he stops moving for a bit.  I have no idea where he picked that command up, but it works nicely.  Even works for nail trimming .

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry you're having to come back to the frigid north Callie.  But, yeah, has been wayyyy to warm here this week.  80 degrees??  No thanks.

So......yet another attack on the poor bod.  Couple weeks back I woke up with horrid ear pain.  Got up since it was 5:30 and went to the kitchen to get the morning allergy meds.  While doing so the usual morning "oh your moving!  I can slide around better now" mucus cough kicked in.  Something was running out of my ear and reached to touch at the same time I glanced at the counter....yep.  Blood.  From my ear.  Because I coughed.  In fairness to my coughing ability I was on the tail end of either a seriously horrible cold or the flu so the head was pretty stuffy.  But.  I ruptured my darned eardrum.  It didn't feel very good.  I see the ENT Friday and have the hearing test.  Somehow I suspect that I'll be sporting a hearing aid in the near future.  Funny tho today the ENT's office called because I had called to check and see if I needed to continue the topical antibiotics since I'm out.  The gal tells me that since Bonnie hasn't seen me for a perforated ear drum.......ummmm.  This isn't something I do on a regular basis folks!!  Gotta chuckle at that one.

Doug, you'd best be nice to your "old" wife or you may find yourself in the dog house and the pup sharing her bed!  

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda -- if it's any consolation my bod never worked all that  well even when I *was* young.  That sort of ear pain isn't fun -- but there must have been a hellacious buildup of pressure behind the ear drum  for blood to flow -- ow.  

I'd just like to get up to NY and back with NO SNOW.  Snow and my wheelchair just don't go well together at all

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

We have a bumper crop of cockleburrs this year.  Sky is becoming a shorthair as I trim off the burrs.  I can not believe how patient he is with me tugging and cutting at them.  He does love cat tail swamps.  You can hear him splashing along, then he looks out to spot me, and starts splashing again .  

I think he smelled out a snake of some sort today.  He was pawing at it, and i saw the weeds move as it escaped.

Great exercise for both of us. An hour to an hour and a half of stomping through heavy grass or woods and I am ready for a nap.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh my I can sure sympathize on the cockleburs.  Hot would get them all in his furr then I would have sore fingers trying to get them out.  The ones around his ears were the worst, had to use scissors for them.  He would just lay there, he was just happy that you were touching him. :)  What I never understood was the ones that  were on the floor, how did they just fall out on their own?

• Gold Top Dog

Crazy weather here--I had shorts on the last two days and had to weed and mow the lawn. It seems crazy to be mowing in October. I think we broke a temperature record on Wednesday. It's supposed to be back to "normal" (whatever that is) this weekend. I picked the last of the peppers. We still have some tomatoes that are trying to ripen. Callie, I'm not sure you'll need cold weather clothes--but it's likely good to have them with you just in case.

Cockleburs and stick-tights--my springer used to get them all the time. Rock and Ronnie have short coats, so it's not too bad. Mozey does seem to find them , so she gets a trim if I can't get them out easily.

They paved our road--the crew did a really nice job, but now folks will drive fast. (Seems the potholes and the old road slowed everyone down!) Speed limit is 20 on the island--the new road is a lot faster than that.