September Chat

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Had Jr to a different WMA today.  Farther away, but birds present.  This was just exercise, but wow.  Let Sky out of the truck.  Usually he visits a fence post, but he flushed a bird first.  Cackling away.  Then we walked to the windbreak, about a ¼ mile long.  He started flushing birds every hundred feet or so.  Get towords the end of the row, and Sky steps into a flock of roosters.  They were coming up 1, 2 , 4 at a time.  Sky was right in the center and just plain didn't know what to do with the birds.  I counted 8 roosters and know I missed a few.  Then Jr put up a couple of stragglers and we circled back.  On the way back in deep grass, he picked up a scent and worked it hard.  He would whine with frustration and redo the track.  He found a rooster at the end of the trail and flushed it.  More birds in 30 minutes than I saw all last year.  Pup was wound up a bit and working on overheating, so we called it a day.  I am thinking about pheasant, slow cooked in the Weber, bit of bacon over the breast meat, with some red wine.  May happen this year.

Had Sky at the dog park yesterday.  Really busy place.  One of the regulars has 4 Keeshonds.  Really pretty, but Max, the dominant male, does not like Sky.  Lots of grumbling and growling, display of teeth.  Every time.  No biting yet.  Sky doesn't seem too worried, which may be the part Max doesn't like.

• Gold Top Dog

Good boy Sky!    Any news from Glenda??  Lots of feeling better breathing better vibes for her.  

Have been filling in here at my old position in Customer  service while several are out on training this week.   Its been good, brushed up on  a few things.  I am kinda anxious to get back to my desk.  It feels so out of whack when your at a different computer/desk/etc.   1 more day and everyone will be back in place.

This weekend is the  fall, "Junk Ranch"   I am looking forward to lots of fun and the weather is supposed to take a turn into the sixties so it may feel fall-ish.  

Time to go home  take care all.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm alive and well, more or less. Some swelling, not much pain, but a good deal of pressure.

• Gold Top Dog

Logged in to check on you Glenda. Nice to see you are well enough to post anyway. The pressure must be awful.. better than pain though and hoping you stay without much pain. Are you still in Hospital. I didn't know if it was outpatient surgery or not. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way.

• Gold Top Dog

I've  missed several days of posts.  My Mom and another family friend were here for about 10 days, so I didn't have much free time to use my laptop.  We had a great visit, but I was exhausted by the time they left last Friday.  Our friend had never been here, so we did lots of sight-seeing.  I spent the weekend doing laundry and catching up on sleep, only to be hit with piles of work waiting for me on my desk yesterday.  We're all getting back to our old routine, including Ruby -- she loves having visitors because it's more people to beg from.  And both guests were unable to resist her, so she had way too many treats and snacks throughout the day.  Needless to say, she was wondering where they were on Saturday morning!

I missed the happy news about Maureen and Corey's trial success -- way to go!  

Kate, I hope you enjoyed your workshop.  It must have been a beautiful location.  It was a photography workshop, right?  Were you shooting the local landscape or other things?

Doug, it sounds like Sky has so much fun at the dog parks/play groups, and his personality is so sound that he doesn't take the bait of the more pushy dogs.  I wish I could say the same for Ruby -- thus, our avoidance of off-leash parks.

Glenda, I'm glad the surgery is over for you now, and I hope your recovery is as smooth as possible, with limited pain.  Keep us posted, and sending strong healing vibes your way!

• Gold Top Dog

Update. I feel less like I have a really bad head cold this morning. There is still some pressure, but not so bad. Yesterday the nose was full and the drainage was 3/4 of the way down the back of my throat which wasn't pleasant because it was just stuck there. Not a great night because absolutely no air was coming through the nose and the drainage kicked in, but actually much better than I expected. I'm not that in another day or two, I'll be getting lots of air in through the nose, which will be a first for me.

I will put on a lovely mustache bandage when I go out (chauffered)of course) to run a couple quick errands and I did last nite to catch any seepage, but for the most part I'm not using one. Impossible to take a drink with the entire area between the nose and mouth covered, and I can't get enough out of a straw so...... I took ONE pain pill last nite. That's it so far and so long as I continue to improve as I've been, won't need them other than for sleep. Honestly, there hasn't been real pain, just pressure like when you have a really bad head cold.

Sounds like you had a great time with your guests Tracy. I'm glad they could come out.

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda, it sounds like the pain has been manageable--yeah! The mental image I have of mustache bandage made me smile :-)

Tracy, the workshop was excellent. The leaves were turning and the weather was cool at night (frost the first night) and very nice during the day.  I shot mostly nature stuff, but I did do some buildings, etc. We were at one of the Great Camps (stayed there), so the buildings were pretty amazing!

Ginger, what is "Junk Ranch"?  It sounds like you are looking forward to it!

We have stormy weather tonight--wind and rain. Fall must be here!

• Gold Top Dog

Hey Kate, Junk Ranch is a very large flea mkt sorta thing.   A couple of ladies  aka, "junkers"  bought an old farm with  I don't know how many acres.  They have cleaned it up and the old barn and old homestead are now part of what the call   "Junk Ranch"  It has only started in 2014 and this year the spring event was so successful they are doing a fall event.   Over 200 venders with everything from Junk to antiques to crafts.  food venders folk music   It is just good fun.   We have a lot of these type festivals in NW Ark but most are craft fairs.  This one is fun cause it is everything.   It is clean and run very well.

It is also Apple festival weekend and so I will be busy this weekend.  May take the Garth to Apple Fest.  

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, I'm adding Junk Ranch to my "to do" list--it sounds like total fun!

Lots of rain and wind today--and it's cold. I don't think this is from the hurricane--that weather arrives early in the week. Miss Mozey was on strike--no going out in the rain for her. I finally got her to go out when I got home. I was going to stay off until the last ferry (8 pm), but I was worried it might not run, so I came home on the 5:30. Harvard'/Radcliff's a cappella group the Veritones were on the ferry, too, and they sang for us. What a great way to end the work week!  They are good! (They come over to the island every year to give a concert.)

I made some applesauce last night (from apples from the farm Dad grew up on). Yummy!  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

We've got a couple of a cappella groups we try to see every year.  The groups seem to be aging out, with few new members.  Sad.  One local group was on TV.  Their Basso Profundo makes the floor vibrate.

The problem with homemade apple sauce is it is habit forming.  Real flavor.

Jacket weather starting.  Crops are coming in-the weather has been perfect.  May be fall.  Time to get the car and truck set up for winter and the furnace tuned up.  Got new windows ordered for the walk out basement.