Quick Post

Broken ribs.

Broken ribs.
  •  One of Clifford's brothers got ran over last night. Well he has broken ribs. Everyone vet included suggest he be put to sleep. But Noah is eating,drinking, and asking to go out to potty when he needs to go. He's not having trouble breathing. Good signs that he'll be ok right? So why shouldnt he be allowed a chance? People break ribs all the time and they heal fine. Yes people and dogs are different but wont he be alright too?

What do you guys think?

• Oh no! I'm so sorry to be reading this! I don't know anything about broken ribs, but I hope he heals OK!

• I can't imagine why the vet would suggest PTS.  My first reaction (I had broken ribs) is the enormous amount of pain broken ribs makes but if the dog is able to move and not be in pain, eat and go to the bathroom - I would not even think of it.  Unless they have some really really sound medical reason that would make sense to me,  but I can't think of any.

•  They said he could have medical problems in the future and it would be the nice thing to do to put him to sleep. But the owners arent going to because like I said he's eating,drinking, and asking to go out to potty. Right now he's in my kitchen walking around. He seems to enjoy the company of Clifford and Holly. Weird how they're not rough housing with him. Guess they sense he's hurt?

• It depends on how the ribs are broken and how many. You are correct people break ribs all the time and do fine, but if you have a flail chest where several ribs are broken in multiple places the chance of dying from that injury is very high. Often the complications of that type of injury are not immediate but later, with respiratory failure after blossoming of contusions or pneumonias.
  •  Thanks Ottoluv. I'll let the owners know that. I dont know why the vet didnt tell them why they thought putting Noah down was the best idea.

3 ribs are broken. They lay right on the left lung. 

• poor guy :( I'm not saying in any way that it was or was not the approrpriate advice, but it must be bad for them to recommend that.
  • Aw, poor guy!!  Maybe there is other internal trauma besides just the broken ribs?  My dad dislocated two ribs in his back once (I was with him) and the actual broken ribs were the least of his problems.  The impact injured his liver (I think...some important organ!), bruised his lungs, and he got pneumonia (probably also due to smoking).

• ottoluv
    It depends on how the ribs are broken and how many. You are correct people break ribs all the time and do fine, but if you have a flail chest where several ribs are broken in multiple places the chance of dying from that injury is very high. Often the complications of that type of injury are not immediate but later, with respiratory failure after blossoming of contusions or pneumonias.

Hum.. well I think I would take my chances before making my mind up to do something so drastic if all signs point to good health so far.   I wish your friends dog the healthiest recovery.
  •  And I'm sitting here wishing they had kept better track of him than that -- Honestly the days for a dog to be left "loose" are over ... you hope children have more sense (and look what happened to the Steven Curtis Chapman family -- tragic) but dogs don't and they are even harder to see.

What a shame -- I'm not fussing at you or anyone else it's just so sad when they don't go to the lengths to keep track of him ALL the time.  Most accidents like that ARE preventable but it takes extra work and communication... *sigh*

•  Actually he got run over in their driveway. They just got back from town and let the dogs out while they took the grociries in their house. A friend decided to drop by and ran over the pup. So I wouldnt be so quick to blame the owners this time.

• kle1986

Actually he got run over in their driveway. They just got back from town and let the dogs out while they took the grociries in their house. A friend decided to drop by and ran over the pup. So I wouldnt be so quick to blame the owners this time.

See accidents can happen anywhere at anytime.  When I was 18 I drove over my dog!  He was laying under my car sleeping and I didn't know it and when I backed out the car pinned him.  My father jacked up the car and we called him out, do you know he was ok - it was a miracle.

• luvmyswissy

ottoluv
    It depends on how the ribs are broken and how many. You are correct people break ribs all the time and do fine, but if you have a flail chest where several ribs are broken in multiple places the chance of dying from that injury is very high. Often the complications of that type of injury are not immediate but later, with respiratory failure after blossoming of contusions or pneumonias.

Hum.. well I think I would take my chances before making my mind up to do something so drastic if all signs point to good health so far.   I wish your friends dog the healthiest recovery.
    FYI, it's a rather horrible way to die, I would imagine a vet wouldn't make that recomendation lightly.
  • I would think that if he was just a puppy it could have something to do with the way he'll grow, as well...I really have no idea but it was just what popped into my head. Best wishes for the little guy.
  • ottoluv
    luvmyswissy

ottoluv

FYI, it's a rather horrible way to die, I would imagine a vet wouldn't make that recomendation lightly.

ottoluv,   According to the OP this dog seems fine, no pain, eating and going to the bathroom - this dog isn't suffering, so why would you choose now to PTS?  I would not put down a dog who appears, for now, to be handling broken ribs with no complications.  IF things changed then so would my opinion.