Quick Post

Dog vomited and had rectal bleeding...

New Topic
Dog vomited and had rectal bleeding...
  • last night. Nothing new in is diet but something happened last week with a neighbor and his dog. My son was riding his bike and the guy's collie, who often chases people on bikes, ran up on my son and bit him in the shin, breaking his skin. I called Animal Services and the guy was ticketed and they took the dog away for a few days. I'm thinking this psycho might have tried to poison my dog.
  • VET -- RIGHT AWAY!!!  If it is poisoning minutes count.  But there are other things (like pancreatitis for one, and many many other things) that can cause stomach distress and intestinal bleeding.

    Was there blood in the vomit?

    Don't even stop to answer this -- GO **now** to the vet.  Especially since you suspect poison.

  • Any update? How is the dog?  I'd have said the same, VET NOW!. 
  • Wondering how this dog is too?

  • Took him to the vet and he's good. The vet attributed it to some new chew sticks my wife giving him. Still going to keep an eye out on that disgruntled neighbor.
  • Thank goodness he is ok.  I would guess he loved the chew sticks but didnt chew them very well?  This is why I am so leary about those chew sticks cause my boys think one or two chews and then swallow.

     

  • ChuckDee
    Took him to the vet and he's good. The vet attributed it to some new chew sticks my wife giving him. Still going to keep an eye out on that disgruntled neighbor.

     

    That does bear watching.  A vet visit like that is NEVER a waste -- because the one dog that may get saved is worth it.  I remember one time years ago, a person on a messageboard KNEW their dog had gotten into rat poison -- but they assumed it was just going to be fatal and didn't go to the vet.  Several of us got them to take the dog to the emergency vet, and the dog WAS saved.  Sometimes we can only do what we *can* do.  But doing that is better than nothing!!

    I'm so glad it was a good ending!!

  • Yes, thank goodness....My wife was a nervous wreck. Yes, that is exactly what the vet said and it goes without saying, there are no more chew sticks in our home.
  • calliecritturs

    ChuckDee
    Took him to the vet and he's good. The vet attributed it to some new chew sticks my wife giving him. Still going to keep an eye out on that disgruntled neighbor.

     

    That does bear watching.  A vet visit like that is NEVER a waste -- because the one dog that may get saved is worth it.  I remember one time years ago, a person on a messageboard KNEW their dog had gotten into rat poison -- but they assumed it was just going to be fatal and didn't go to the vet.  Several of us got them to take the dog to the emergency vet, and the dog WAS saved.  Sometimes we can only do what we *can* do.  But doing that is better than nothing!!

    I'm so glad it was a good ending!!

    It was worth every penny. Thanks again for you advice and concern. Believe you me, we have our eye on that wacko....especially my wife. I feel bad for the guy if he gets near our home!