Quick Post

Irish Setter show cut

Irish Setter show cut
  • Fynn's breeder moved here from Cali not too long ago. She had a professional show groomer for her dogs. Well since she cant find one here yet she has been attempting to groom the dogs herself. So far she has been getting by doing it herself.

She wants to do Fynn but I dont want her to touch him. I saw the grooming she did on his brother and well I thought it was horrible. But I didnt want to tell her that because she is trying her best while looking for a professional and apparently it's not messing up Fynn's brother getting points because he won 5 points a couple months ago with her grooming him. She said I could let her groom him or if I could find someone to do it then that was fine by her.

Now I have a question. If I take a picture of a Irish Setter with it's hair the way it's supposed to be in the show ring to a groomer will they be able to do a good job on Fynn? I mean they are used to grooming dogs and know the equipment and such so they should be able to look at a picture and groom Fynn right? Or am I wrong?

We have a show in Febuary and I need to start getting him ready!!

• I WOULD NOT TRY SOMEONE NEW USING JUST A PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I can say that strongly enough.  I would definitely have the breeder do it before a stranger... and if you do have a stranger do it, i'd want to see credentials and I wouldn't leave ... stand there and watch. Cause if they shave something, it'll be months and months for it to grow back.

Maybe look for pro-handlers, often they will offer grooming pre-show.

• Ok thanks. I was just wondering if they could get him to look right by just having a picture.  

•      I would NOT use a groomer unless they do show setters!!! An Irish isn't hard to do, but you have to know what your doing. Did you see your breeders dog right after he was groomed, or did you see him just before the show? Believe me it does make a difference!

Hopefully your breeder knows what kind of hair your dog has, and when you need to start trimming and where, to have her ready by the show date. The whole idea is to make sure the dog looks natural, not groomed. There is a lot you can do yourself after you see it done.

A professional handler will usually only do their clients dogs AT the show, but if you can find one a few weeks before the show, they will probably give you a hand. Make sure that they handle setters or other coated sporting breeds.

•  I seen him the day he got groomed. And I didnt think he looked natural he looked groomed but what do I know? I've just been staring at pictures and shows on tv of Irish Setter show dogs for the last 11 years and the breeder has been around them all her life.

• I think you need to trust your breeder...taking points with a dog she groomed is at least promising.

•      What Gina said! The reason I asked about when you saw your breeder's dog is because once the hair grows for a week or two, it will start looking very natural. That's why knowing your own dogs coat is very helpful. A dog show is not really a grooming contest you know. Good judges can find the best dog even he has a less than spectacular grooming.

You said that his first show is in February, so how is his training and conditioning coming along? Are you going to use a professional handler, or show him yourself? Believe me, there is nothing quite as rewarding he as grooming and showing your own dog! He needs to look, and feel, his best, so now is time to be getting him ready.

•  Yes I know I need to get him ready now!! Im trying to do that. He is ready just needs to be groomed. His breeder will be grooming him as we cant find a professional groomer around here. We have both tried. She is in Cali right now and she said she as gonna hook up with her old groomer and get some training on how to groom IS's.

I am going to show him myself!! And my Vizsla pup Joker also. We have been working our butts off getting ready. I think the dogs have it down pat. It's me Im worried about. I have to work on my nervousness around so many strangers.  I have been taking the dogs to a conformation class that Fynn's breeder goes to also. His brother and another IS they have are always there so I'm getting good practice with everyone's help.

•  If she took 5 pts, owner handled, with a dog she groomed herself, she's not doing it too wrong, LOL. DO NOT EVER take a show dog to a regular groomer. The techniques are totally and completely different. I would never even hand Ena over to a regular groomer. She'd come out with her crest trimmed. It would be a disaster. I *am* a regular groomer, LOL, but I've had other groomers grab her by the crest and ask why I didn't do something about the hair in her face.

Aren't show Setters stripped down the back?

• jennie_c_d

Aren't show Setters stripped down the back?

Thank you Jennie for answering. I was hoping you would!!

Fynn will actually need to be stripped down the back. I asked his breeder and she said it depends on long the hair is on the dog and Fynn is one that would need it. If Lillie would show for me she wouldnt need it because her hair is fine and sleek.  

• jennie_c_d

I *am* a regular groomer, LOL, but I've had other groomers grab her by the crest and ask why I didn't do something about the hair in her face.

Oh my, yes.  I'm really picky about Zhi, which is why she rarely gets groomed now that I can't do it myself (soon though!).  I have a friend who is a master groomer and she's done Zhi.  It usually works fine but last time for some reason she was in an odd mood, or Zhi wasn't behaving, or something, and her furnishings on her neck ended up really weird - she trimmed them instead of undercutting them, and she didn't do her face all the way up, and to top it all off, she kept taking her ears and hovering her scissors around and saying, "C'mon!  She'd look SO cute with her ear fringes trimmed!"  She's not a frickin' Westie - I like the Papillon ear look!  So I've seen the difference even a really good groomer can make, on a bad day.  Zhi is still growing that out and it will take forever - her hair grows super slow (except on her face where I'd prefer it to grow slow!). 

• I wish I were closer. I'd groom Zhi, for you, and I'd never ever snip her ear fringe, LOL. I love ear fringies! Ena's are still growing, from being shaved as a puppy. She has super thick ear hair.

If you decide to groom Fynn yourself, at least do a trial run on Lillie. Go ahead and strip her back, and see how it looks in two weeks. You don't strip the day of the show, anyways (except for some touching up). It's grown out, for a couple of weeks, so it looks all nice and natural.

• jennie_c_d

If you decide to groom Fynn yourself, at least do a trial run on Lillie. Go ahead and strip her back, and see how it looks in two weeks. You don't strip the day of the show, anyways (except for some touching up). It's grown out, for a couple of weeks, so it looks all nice and natural.

I was gonna practice on Lillie anyways!! Lol. I had groomed her in the summer and taken the hair off her neck. Well apparently Fynn's breeder thought it looked good because she asked who I had taken her to.

•  Definitely play with her! I have a friend who shows Cresteds and Dobes, and she likes me to groom her dogs. I always make her bring two. One she's showing, and one who is past showing. That way, I can have a practice run, LOL.

FWIW, the vast majority of groomers don't even know how to strip. I don't have real stripping knives. I have a coat king, and I card with clipper blades, but actual stripping? Nope. Take 'em to Rita! She's the show groomer an hour up the road!