Quick Post

Broken pelvis

Broken pelvis
  • Hi all - I am fostering a stray dog found with a broken pelvis. So far his Rx is just pain medication and not moving very much - he spends pretty much all day crates except I carry him out to go to the bathroom and try to interact with/pet him a lot so he doesn't get uber bored. I've been giving him daily multis and an extra Vit C, but should anything else be helpful? Any Ca or phosphorous? He is a total doll, and even my dog loves him (blows my mind heh).

He had an upset tummy when I got him but thank God for canned pumpkin. The clinic gave me some SD (ack!) but I am letting him mooch off my my dog's Solid Gold. He seems to be doing pretty well and can walk. Terrible of me to laugh but its funny when he tries to lift his leg to pee...he can't really keep his balance and stumbles, poor dear.

Oh, and everyone knows tennis ball supplementation works wonders :)

• I have never had to deal with a broken bone but what a cutie! Look at thoes sweet eyes! I hope he feels better soon and bless you for taking him in and caring for him!
  • What an adorable boy he is, and God bless you for taking on the challange.  I really don't know what to tell you except I know TLC goes a LONG WAY.  When my  golden retirever, KayCee had her knee surgeries 14 months apart, I found that she did so enjoy have leg muscles and especailly her back massaged as she had to be inactive for weeks.  I did it severl times a day as I was home all the time.  But if you could do it just once a day, I think it would help.
  • very rarely do you have to do surgery or use pins etc on a broken pelvis because the pelvis is encased in lots of muscles and thus preventing a lot of extra damage...Cage rest is the best treatment, for how long depends on the break...the next best treatmen is pain killers IF and only IF needed...The third best treat is exactly what you are doing TLC and mild mild exercise===keep doing what you are doing and of course spoil the heck out of the pup
  • Does it matter that he is lying on a relatively hard floor? I can only put a pee pad or something under him in the crate, as the muscle relaxant he is on (for the whiplash in his neck - we think he was hit by a car and he cries when you touch his neck) is causing him to be not so great at holding his bladder, plus sporadic diarrhea. He will be off the relaxant by tomorrow and I'm loading him up on an acidophilus blend and psyllum powder.....beh, cleaning diarrhea twice or three times a day is NOT fun but the poor thing can't help himself and just gives me this "I'm so embarrassed and sorry" look that I can't possibly be mad. ANyway - got off track - is a hard floor worse or better for healing? Or doesn't it matter? I know firm beds are better for your back, etc....
  • only problem with a  hard floor or any floor is his slipping but just to lie down on, it doesn;t matter whater he is comfortable with and what ever is easier for you to clean...  This will all take time but with lots of TLC he will get back to almost normal. Is he on any medication..ie aspirin or steroids...not for the pelvis but for theneck pain..I don;t like to do much with pain meds but if the spinal cord is impinged it might be inflammed and need a little anti inflamatory medicine,,aspitink steroids etc. (geeze aspitink is supposed to be aspirin)
  • He is/was on two other painkillers but the clinic said if he didn't seem in pain I could probab y stop them - he hasn't hasd any for 24 hrs and seems fine - I was worried they were contributing to the tummy upset. The relaxant was Methocarbamol and the PKs were Tramadol HCl and Carprofen. I think the reason his neck was sensitive now is, upon closer inspection, he has a ring of scab around his throat, looks like he has kept on a too tight chain or something .
  • better to have the neck sensitive from an old collar that a disc problem...I think your doing fine and don;t give any more than the reccomended doses cause a little pain will prevent  over exertion...and again the best pain killer is scratching behind the ear...either ear, it doesn;t matter
  • what about a bathroom rug that has rubber on the bottom so it won';t slid?  You can wash those.

have you considered homeopathic remedy like ARNICA?  It doesn't hurt the kidneys like hard core meds.

I would give Vit E 200 daily for healing and of course fish oil is good for imflamation..
  • Hollysmom - the bathroom rug is a good idea!

I took him off painkillers 48 hours ago and he seems fine - walking and even trotting around without a weird gait. And he can now balance on one leg when he pees.

I've been giving extra Vit C and calcium+vit D for bone/collagen repair. I have avoided any oils because of his diarrhea - however it is getting better due to the hefty dose of probiotics I have been giving him - hooray.

He didn't pee OR poop in the crate at ALL today - I am so proud of him.
  • If he has any future episodes of the runs, you may want to try some canned pumpkin.  NOT pumpkin pie filling.  For some strange reason, it seems to help for both constipation and the runs.  Best of luck, and bless you for taking care of the poor dear.
  • ORIGINAL: dvet

very rarely do you have to do surgery or use pins etc on a broken pelvis because the pelvis is encased in lots of muscles and thus preventing a lot of extra damage...Cage rest is the best treatment, for how long depends on the break...the next best treatmen is pain killers IF and only IF needed...The third best treat is exactly what you are doing TLC and mild mild exercise===keep doing what you are doing and of course spoil the heck out of the pup

I agree with dvet.  When I was young, we had a dog whose pelvis was broken.  My mom spent a lot of time washing the kitchen floor because he couldn't control his bladder for a while.  But, he healed nicely and lived to be 15, about 6 more years after the injury.
  • He's a beautiful color; bless you for taking care of him and I hope his injuries heal nicely. I think acidophilis is great for diarrhea; Jessie had soft and slightly drippy stools after having a bout with diarrhea a few weeks ago; I started using an acidophilus supplement a week ago and her stools are nice and firm again.