Quick Post

Adequan Injections?

Adequan Injections?
  •  Does anyone use this? I am looking for input on how you feel it works or doesn't work. My horse is on it and I feel it helps him, I am thinking I want to get Teddi and perhaps even Belle on it to improve joint quality if that is what it does in dogs like it does in horses. My vet says while the equine community does see favorable results with Adequan, the canine community the jury is still out.

Teddi is sore again in front, but it is intermittent, my vet says we should just let her be and help her 'as needed' for now. Belle I suspect has "some" soreness (age and size related) but since she has not limped I have no idea where. She just improved IMMENSELY at an agilty trial when I gave her an Ascriptin. She was a different dog. So I am wondering if Adequan would help both of them. It is expensive so if most people who use do not see "improvement" I am not sure it is worth my while. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

• I used it on dakota. I did see some improvement but eventually went back to cosequin and pain killers.
  •  Just to clarify, I would use it in conjunction with her current supplements, and still NSAIDs as needed. I would just hope the "as needed" might be less often as Adequan would help her joint?

• Luke has been on Adequan for almost a year now.  I noticed a rather dramatic change in him -- not only does it help his agility performance, but it has also allowed him to go back to playing frisbee again!  Prior to the Adequan he would routinely hurt himself while playing frisbee (not long-term stuff, just that he would occasionally yelp when he jumped up to catch the frisbee).  We don't play frisbee like we used to (daily and with huge jumps), but the Adequan has allowed me to at least not banish it from his life completely.

I used Adequan and chiropractic treatment together at first and then decided to see what would happen when I dropped the chiro (for financial reasons, mostly).  The Adequan alone has been more than enough to keep him comfortable.

We did the recommended loading dose under vet supervision and I've been doing the shots myself since then.  My typical routine is to give Luke a shot on the Thursday before a trial weekend.  If we have three weeks in a row, I don't give him a shot in the middle week -- I don't think he needs it more than every other week.  The longest we go between shots is about a month.

Luke gets his in a back muscle.  My vet is very keen on following directions and currently Adequan is not "approved" for subQ injections.  My vet says plenty of people do it (his wife does, actually....), but he feels that Luke would benefit most from having it injected near his problem area (lower back), so that's where I stick it.

My vet writes me a prescription and I order my Adequan from 1800petmeds -- they are about the cheapest place I can find, at $100 for two vials.  One vial gets me..... about four shots, I think.  The loading dose is the most expensive part of Adequan, for sure.

• Adequan is a good quality product (it's essentially a pharmaceutical version of glucosamine/chondroitin) but it is limited in what it can do.  It is simply a "hydrator".  Meaning - it takes cartilage that remains and "plumps" it or hydrates it so it cushions better between joints.  But, like any other hydrator the effect is temporary. 

If you have any patience (I don't mean that to be snide at all) you might want to try Knox NutraJoint for a while.  The down side is that it takes about 3 months to *work*.  It's not a painkiller, not a hydrator ... it simply puts the "stuff" the body needs at its disposal so it can **RE-build** joint cartilage.  But the progress it does make is permanent.  I've used it on myself (and frankly I never found glucosamine/chondroitin to do much more than marginal stuff ON ME).  At one point several years ago I went from having to use two canes at a time to NONE and I've avoided hip replacements with it.   (I've had arthritis since I was a teenager.)

I don't use the one with g/c in it at all -- just the plain old unsweetened stuff (both for me and the dogs).  Most med to large dogs just half a scoop is plenty a day, for little dogs 1/4 scoop.  But it **does** take months to do what it does.

Nsaids sometimes have to be used to reduce inflammation back to a manageable level.  But they *all* cause some amount of stomach bleeding.  Again they are temporary and generally have to be used for a "period" to reduce inflammation to a point where it isn't daily doing damage.

Now if it were ME, if I felt a dog needed nsaids to perform in agility it's agility days would be over,  simply because stomach ulcers are so hard to heal.  Dogs are already SO stoic and it can be so difficult to know when they have pain.

You might consider acupuncture (and man, that works AWESOME in horses) -- no bad side effects or damage at all.  But you DO need a good acupuncturist/TCVM vet -- http://www.tcvm.com -- there is a locator on the left. 

I have a whole article on pain management that I've done if you want it, *email* me (not a pm -- it's an attachment I'd have to send you).