Quick Post

PH in dogs urine

PH in dogs urine
  • Does any of you guys know if taking Vit c could change the ph in a dogs urine?

I am adding this question to my other thread about my friends dog with Lymes  but was afraid that you guys that don't know or care about lymes might not read it to answer.       That dog Austin also had his kidneys testes because he is pee'ing a lot,,,and dribbling in the house, something he has never done.  He is testing out negative on pretty much everything ( thank goodness ) but his PH is high in his urine and they are trying to figure out why..... it occured to her late last night...that she is giving him cranberry pills for this ( he had a slight UTI ) and realized that there was 100 mgs of vit C in those pills....and now wonders if that could be changing the PH.  

Any one know?  

I should have added this. He has been given Ammonil Tabs, which I guess is used as a urinary acidifier..... don't think she even told the vet about the Cranberry Pills.

• No, cranberry should *lower* it slightly.  High PH is too alkaline (which is where struvite crystals can form), so often cranberry and Vit C (100 mg is pretty slight) are given to HELP acidify the urine deliberately so the urine environment isn't as conducive to infection and struvites.

"7" is the baseline if memory serves me right.  Dog urine is usually 6.0 to 8.0 or thereabouts, but if the urine is extremely alkaline they begin to worry.

So back up to your original premise Dyan -- "high" PH isn't acid.  It's alkaline. 

• Thanks Callie...I KNEW you would know that answer...if you were around!  Big Smile

•  Carnivores generally have quite low pH values...from 5.5 to 7 is generally normal in a dog, about the same for a cat. Generally, too low is better than too high. High values cause more types of cyrstals as well as making it easier for bacteria to grow.

•  Dyan; This probably isn't helpful but a high protein diet can cause acidic urine (low ph). I know you said the ph was high though.

• dyan
    Does any of you guys know if taking Vit c could change the ph in a dogs urine?

Hi Dyan--Yes, it could change the Ph, but it would probably lower it, not make it higher. 

The other thing I wanted to mention is she might want to ask the vet about giving the cranberry WITH the Ammonil because now you are using two urinary acidifiers and I'm pretty sure there is such a thing as too much of a good thing with this.  You can send it too acidic which would create another whole issue. 

• Okay so now I understand a few things.  They are giving the medicine that is an acidifier to lower the PH which could cause crystals and bacteria that would cause more of an infection.  And Janice....what you said makes it make sense that they would want a low protein diet if it causes acidic urine which is a low PH.   

Funny... ( well really NOT funny ) all this talking about urine, UTI...and all....I have a bladder infection...was going to call the doctor this morning...forgot it was Wed.     Went to buy cranberry juice and did a bunch of things and forgot it.  Hope eating cranberries and drinking lots of water helps.

• dyan
    I have a bladder infection...was going to call the doctor this morning...forgot it was Wed.     Went to buy cranberry juice and did a bunch of things and forgot it.  Hope eating cranberries and drinking lots of water helps.

I hope so too; bladder infections can be miserable (spoken with experience). It should be about as good as drinking the juice. I hope you get better fast. By the way, my vet has said that cranberry doesn't work the same in dogs as it does in people; wonder if that's true?

• jessies_mom
    By the way, my vet has said that cranberry doesn't work the same in dogs as it does in people; wonder if that's true?

Probably! Never heard that before but I sure believe it could be true!

Mine is feeling better.....O.Ding on Cranberries though.....Stick out tongue