Posted : 4/29/2007 12:30:09 PM
It often comes from ulceration and inflammation in the GI tract. This can arise from various things; food allergy, parasites, bacterial overgrowth, viral illness, stress. All types of things.
Many times it is not serious but it can be. I would suggest you call your vet. He or she may suggest you withhold food for a while to allow the GI tract to heal. Then put your dog on a bland home cooked diet for a few days.
If that doesn't work or if your dog has some type of pre-existing condition, your vet may want to do a fecal or see the dog to examine.
You may also want to look back and see if your dog ate anything new (treats, rawhide, new snack or foods, etc) also anything else that may have been different (trip to dog park, playdate, vets visit, house guests) etc.