Quick Post

Blood after Pooping???

Blood after Pooping???
  • My dog, Coco, looks like she has a little blood on her anal area after pooping.  I have not been able to see any stool yet b/c it was dark when she went outside and I tried taking her out on the leash, but she didn't go poop.  She has also been licking her anal area more than normal.
    Short summary of previous problems.  Coco is 4 years old, a Pitbull, has a history of allergies, she has been constipated once before in the summer of 2006, she had a bump next to the anal area that we had biopsied and the could find anything from it, then the bump went away, but their have still been some irritating places (not bumps)  since then and they seemed to think its allergy related,  then she had emergency surgery about 1 month ago for Pyometra.  Coco has also developed a behavioral issue (Shaking and Panting) with smoke dectectors when it's going off or just beeping b/c the battery is low and with the timer on stove if it starts beeping.
    Recent problems in the last week.  Last Wednesday night 11-15-06, Coco woke up in the middle of the night freaking out (Shaking and Panting), like their was a beeping noise or something and she did it again the next night 11-16-06.  I figured out what the problem was that next morning 11-17-06.  When I was letting them go outside, she didn't want to go anymore, so I stepped outside the door and their was a beeping noise kind of like when the smoke detectors battery is low and needs to be replaced.  Thats why she was freaking out for two nights in a row.  Then, she didn't even want to go outside in the back yard.  We did find out that it was the neighbors smoke dectector beeping and they have fixed it as of Saturday 11-18-06.  Since then, we have been getting her to go outside and use the bathroom.
    So I'm not sure if this blood is related to her having all this stress with the smoke dectector beeping or not.  We are leaving to go out of town tomorrow afternoon and I don't know what to do about my dog.  Both of my dogs are staying at a Kennel, but it's not a Vet, just a Kennel Only.  Can anyone please help?  Any advice welcome.

Thanks 
  • I would call the vet and ask their opinion about whether she should be seen before you leave town. They may want a fecal sample instead of, or in conjunction with, a visit, so have one ready.

She may also just be constipated. I'd encourage her to drink extra water by adding some unsalted chicken broth to her water and also give her a fish oil supplement to loosen things up. That's in addition to calling the vet.

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.
  • I called the vet last night and they couldn't say if I should bring her in or not.  They just said it could be anal glands or anything.  I'm going to take her outside this morning and see if she poops, then I can get an idea if their is actually blood in the stool too.  I don't to know what do at this point.  

• My Beagle, Bobby has some problems too. Bobby's poo consist of some blood traces since a few months ago(maybe close to 6 or 7 moths ago)but recently, 1 or 2 months ago, i kinda worry because there is 1 day he was having diarrhoe and during the night, he tried to poo but were in vain, instread he farted and  some blood was being pushed out.
    I brought him out for a walk the next morning and collected some of his poo sample and bring it to the vet an hour later. However, the vet could not detect any blood traces and put him on anti-biotic.
    He was fine since then.
    But yesterday, he had diarrhoe again, i guess the total poo for the day was about 6 times. On the 6th poo at around 7pm, he actually pooped out blood with some kind of clot/tissue.(Pardon me but it looks like those menses blood that we girls have and with the kind of foul smell)

He still eats as normal -greedy.

His case is those intermitten kind. I am not sure if the assumption I've made is right, if i'm not wrong, he will have diarrhoe the next day if i fed him pork the previous day. I kinda of recall the ;previous case was like that, however, i'm not too sure. 

I tried to book an appt with the vet today but it was all fully booked and clinic will not be open on Thurs. The next available day will be on Friday. Hopefully he will be ok..

meanwhile I would like to know if there's anyone who has similar experience and can share with me..

UPDATE: Monitor Bobby's poo today (still with a bit of diarrhoe) and it seems fine with no traces of blood but with some kind of mucus in it.

•    Welcome to idog Bob; blood or mucus in the stool and diarrhea could mean giardia,   [linkhttp://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=739]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=739[/link]  ,   other parasites or colitis. You may want to take more stool samples to the vet; giardia can be hard to detect because the cysts aren't shed at every bowel movement; the same is true with other parasites. The symptoms sound more like colitis;   [linkhttp://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=249]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=249[/link].  I'll be sending healing thoughts for Bobby; let us know what the vet says.
  •  Welcome to idog Ward; Sorry to come to this so late; how is Coco doing now? I think the combination of licking the anal area and the blood may mean her anal sacs are infected.
  • Definitely call the vet.  I have never heard of this happening to a dog before, but it sounds like there is certainly something wrong with her.  Anyways, call the vet, and if I were you, I probably wouldn't allow her to lick her anal area for a while.  I can imagine that this just may make it worse.
  • Whoops, sorry!  I didn't realize that you had already called the vet.  Oh well...
  • Hey! My puppy name is CoCo too!

Anyways.  She also once had really bad diahrrea, kinda muscousy too and when it became bloody, I took her to the vet ASAP with a poop sample in a baggie.

She got diagnosed w/ coccidia.

Good luck!