Bear's visit to the TCVM vet!!

• Gold Top Dog

Bear's visit to the TCVM vet!!

All I can say is WOW!  Things went very well.  Bear relaxed within a few minutes of getting into the exam room, didn't mind the acupuncture at all (he napped through it), and this morning seems to be acting closer to his normal self - playful, alert.  The doctor thought he might be low thyroid and gave me a few different diets to cook for him.  We were there for about 1 1/2 hours and I must say I felt "listened to" and very sure when I left that this is the course of action I want to take with Bear's epilepsy.  The doc showed me how to take his pulse and had me do it while I was there; she showed me where she felt a deficiency along his spine (indicating possible low thyroid) and had me feel it.  I read a lot and like to be able to get my hands on *whatever* because it makes what I read more real, so this was great!

I was definitely impressed with the experience, I liked the doctor, and I'm feeling better than I did a week ago.

I appreciate everyone's good thoughts and kind words!  (((Hugs))) to all from me!

• Gold Top Dog

Who did you go to? I called one in Diamondale and the guy was a complete jack***. Put me off of the entire acupuncture thing right away.

• Gold Top Dog

Dr. Sue Johnson at the Midland Animal Clinic

• Gold Top Dog

That's why I always tell people to call the 4-5 names closest to them on the list -- ANY time I have to make a decision like that I do something similiar.  Because there's always one that's going to completely yank my chain and I'm gonna want to smack them before I ever walk in there.  At least one other is going to have such an inflated opinion of themselves that an angel probably couldn't put up with them ... etc.  But usually ONE and maybe two out of the five are "possibles". 

I've done this with everything from vets to beauticians.  In this particular case, the fact that they are on the Chi Instiute list SIMPLY means they have taken the years of coursework and have passed the faculty's criteria to be included, BUT there is absolutely no guarantee they aren't a jerk.  *grin*

Tina, I'm so glad you had a good experience -- and I've had really good luck referring people thru the Chi Institute website http://www.tcvm.com -- but it makes me sad that someone was such a bad example that it completely put Julie off acupuncture.  That's really unfortunate. 

It's funny -- Bear is not unique.  Muffin the Intrepid used to fall SO deeply asleep during acupuncture that we'd actually have to "wake him up" at the end of the treatment.  Kee goes to sleep as well.  Foxy the Mostlie Sheltie MIGHT stand still and **might** stop panting (which for him was something very unusual *grin*).  Billy?  He'll stay still if David or I sit and cuddle him, but he doesn't see a few needles as any impediment to trying to find out if Tom or anybuddy has treats!

I told Tina -- when *I* get acupuncture I literally HAVE to go at the end of the day because I'm completely worthless afterward.  I'm SO relaxed all I want to do is go home and sleep.  There is one 'point' that's at the top of the skull that they do on both people and animals that IS a relaxation point (which then helps you get better benefit out of the rest of the treatment). 

But it really doesn't hurt.  Once in a great while you may get a needle that's uncomfortable OR they might have to do a point that is in a painful place but that's pretty rare.  The needles that Dr. D uses on Kee (partly cos she's so tiny, partly because she's so aged) are so fine that you can literally TIE the needle in a knot!  It's that incredibly slender. 

• Gold Top Dog

Dr. Johnson showed me the different needles and they were thin and flexible.  I am not much of a needle person, but I think even I could handle them.  Heck, I almost asked her to poke a few into me so I could flop on the floor next to Bear...LOL!  Like I said, it was a stressful week last week...

• Gold Top Dog
    Yay! It sounds like Bear is like Pirate...snoozes right thru. Since he's little, he can't be on the floor, but the exam tables at our acupuncturist's office have nice, squishy beds on them. He really is comfortable there.
    • Gold Top Dog

Acupuncture needles come in all sorts of 'sizes' -- the ones Dr D and Dr F (Pirate's vet is at my acupuncture vet's office too) use on the dogs are a tiny bit different than the ones *my* acupuncturist uses because they stay in better. 

But all of them are so thin that just piercing skin can be a problem so many acupuncturists use a little tiny tube (like a transparent coffee stirer) to help the needle go in.  But the ones she uses on Kee are like hair they are so flexible.  Pretty cool. 

• Gold Top Dog

I didn't knew Bear was sick, sorry. But I'm very happy he is already under treatment and that the first appointment went so well. I hope in no time he will be doing better and better!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm glad that both you and Bear feel better. I've heard such great things about acupuncture and even being needle-phobic, I'd definitely give it a try. I hope Bear continues to do well and you can enjoy some stress-free time for awhile.

• Gold Top Dog

Calinisima, here is the original thread: 

http://forum.dog.com/forums/t/86756.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks, Cathy.  Me, too.  I don't think I'd handle it very well if I had to keep him drugged.  He just wasn't right.

• Gold Top Dog
    sharismom
    I don't think I'd handle it very well if I had to keep him drugged.  He just wasn't right.

Are you going to use herbals from the TCVM vet? Pirate's done great with the ones Dr. F gave him, and we've reduced his Potassium Brominde dosage, even.

If you are using Phenobarbital, keep in mind that it takes them a few days to adjust, and even to get the dosage right. I'm definitely not knocking the meds. It's just something so unique to each dog.

((((BEAR!))))

• Gold Top Dog

That's great! Sounds like a awesome doc. G'boy, Bear! You're a lucky dog to have such a good mama.

• Gold Top Dog

Meg, first I'm supposed to monitor his behavior and appearance and call the doctor every day with an update.  I am making adjustments to his diet.  I will add herbals if the dietary change doesn't help. 

After Bear had the valium shot at the original vet, she prescribed phenobarbitol.  I gave him a couple of doses and couldn't continue.  I don't recommend not talking to the vet, but since I didn't feel like she really *heard* me when we were there last Thursday, I didn't see the point.  I even asked about the Kbr when I was there and she said they don't stock it - phenobarb is the drug of choice.  After several emails back & forth with Callie, I decided to take my chances and in the meantime, had scheduled with Dr. Johnson. 

As I learned yesterday, the CBC that my regular vet did covered everything except thyroid.  The plan is to monitor everything as I make the changes to his diet and take blood and send it to Mich. State for a complete thyroid panel if I don't see improvement.   

I'm not knocking the drugs, but I couldn't do that to Bear.  After only a couple of doses, I couldn't - even the two week adjustment period was too long for me to wait and see - he was just not my Bear.  By the time two weeks passed, he'd be hooked.  I'd rather put him down.

I dealt with a chronic eye problem with Shari most of her life.  Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have spent 12 of her 15 years putting a bandaid over the problem.  This is pretty much how I feel about the thing with Bear.  Right, wrong, or otherwise, that's how I feel.

• Gold Top Dog

Tina, I'm so thrilled that your visit went well.  I've changed vet offices because I found a vet that LISTENED to me & I followed him to his new office.  I so hope that this can be the answer for you & Bear.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm so glad to hear that Bear did so well at his first visit.  I'm glad you are now dealing with a Vet willing to work with you for a good solution to the seizures.  When my Tia (RIP) was first put on the pheno and even after we found a maintenance dose (weeks later) she was so lethargic and just not herself.  I talked to my Vet and he said lets try the potassium bromide and she did well on that for 12 years.  I wish I had known of other options but now I do and I have this forum and especially Callie to thank for that. 

I wish I needed some acupuncture.  The way it's described it sounds more relaxing than a good massage!