Iditarod 2008 fatality update

• Gold Top Dog

Iditarod 2008 fatality update

Every year I pray that none of the dogs die....but that is wishful thinking.......

http://www.iditarod.com/press/release/pressrelease_560.html

• Gold Top Dog

snownose
    Every year I pray that none of the dogs die....but that is wishful thinking.......

It is always sad when a dog dies, I have known of a few hunting dogs that die in the course of their work, the sled dogs, hunting dogs and police dogs work with a mulititude of risks........ but it is what they love to do.

• Gold Top Dog

My mom's class (3rd graders) will be so sad--they are doing a unit on the Iditarod right now.....Sad 

• Gold Top Dog

dgriego
    It is always sad when a dog dies, I have known of a few hunting dogs that die in the course of their work, the sled dogs, hunting dogs and police dogs work with a mulititude of risks........ but it is what they love to do.

I realize that.....I love the sport....but, have a hard time understanding why a dog has to die due to pneumonia in this day and age with all the medical advances......I would think a musher could see some signs of that......

• Gold Top Dog

snownose

dgriego

I realize that.....I love the sport....but, have a hard time understanding why a dog has to die due to pneumonia in this day and age with all the medical advances......I would think a musher could see some signs of that......

I'm sure the musher did see the signs - do you honestly think they want to loose these dogs that they've put so much of themselves into? Working dogs & their owners have a bond that is so different from that of a bond with a pet. Believe me, while I don't run sled dogs, I'm pretty sure the owner lost a part of themselves & their breeding program they can never have back with the death of that dog.
         Cold, wet conditions can overpower even the best of immune systems, the healthiest of animals and people. It can happen so lightning fast that either there isn't time to treat properly, or it's simply just too late. I have a ton of respect for the mushers and the dogs that compete in that race, especially the ones that unfortunately meet their end. Grit like that is a rare find nowadays, and I'm referring to both the owners & the dogs ...
    • Gold Top Dog

The dog was dropped on Friday because the musher DID notice the signs of pneumonia. There will be an investigation, there always is.

The weather here has been EXTREMELY ABNORMAL. Instead of -20, it was 50 ABOVE at my house yesterday. It's been ridiculously warm, way too warm. Which means the dogs and the mushers are probably wet ALL the time. Where I live it's getting down to freezing at night, but just barely.

See my latest blog post for links and articles about the warm weather affecting mushers.

http://inktrails.blogs.com

• Gold Top Dog

Not only do mushers watch for signs but they have to get a vet to check and sign their cards at each station or rest stop. Dogs are stoic and these dogs live to pull. So, it's possible for a dog to be sick and it is hard to tell because they are at a 100 % all the time. And it is tragic.

• Puppy

Apparently, a lot of the sled dogs that die, die of aspiration pneumonia, where they accidently inhale stomach contents.  Dogs that die this way die really quickly.  There was a recent article in the Journal of Veterinary Medicine about it.

• Gold Top Dog

shihtzugirl75.....you are correct....this was the case with this dog...I am wondering if is because there isn't enough time for the dogs to digest their food before being on the trail again...

by Mark Nordman, Race Marshall

DATE:          March 8, 2008        

TO:              Race Officials

Race Veterinarians

Media

Volunteers

The gross necropsy of "Zaster," a seven year old male from John Stetson's team, has been completed.  Aspiration pneumonia was determined to be the likely cause of death.

Further tests will be conducted for a final determination.

• Gold Top Dog

snownose

shihtzugirl75.....you are correct....this was the case with this dog...I am wondering if is because there isn't enough time for the dogs to digest their food before being on the trail again...

It was a sad thing that happened to the dog, but I don't think there is anyone/anything to blame for his death. It just happened, couldn't be prevented if things were done differently. An act of God.
    • Gold Top Dog
    HoundMusic

snownose

It was a sad thing that happened to the dog, but I don't think there is anyone/anything to blame for his death. It just happened, couldn't be prevented if things were done differently. An act of God.
    With all due respect, it's hardly an act of god. If the dog was not involved in the race it likely wouldn't have happened. I think that it's great that people love and participate in different sports, but it's really important to realize the risk involved. It is abnormal to aspirate.
    • Silver

These animals that compete in these events are surrounded by Professionals.  It is no different that what happened to Barbaro.  The people are Professionals, they don't leave things to chance and their education and experiences allows them to recognize problems long befrore any lay person.  Sadly things happen and these people are far more aware of the risks of their given sport.

• Gold Top Dog

I wonder what the dog's choice would have been, had he been able to weigh the risks for himself.

Many jobs that dogs do are not needed anymore, theyare mostly for sport. The hunting dog is a prime example, we hunt for sport not for need. Boars kill a few dogs and tear up even more, but watch these dogs as they load up for a hunt and you can see that they are pumped for it. They love it and they live for it. Hektor's father is a battle scarred vetran of hundreds of boar hunts and he shows no signs of not wanting to go, no sign of fear of the boar and after all it is what he was bred for.

I do not know any sled dogs, but I would be willing to bet that the drive to run is high, and that the dogs love it. I have read stories of those injured still going over to their traces to be harnessed and showing disappointment when not harrnessed. They will run until they drop because the love of the run is bred into them.

read about Isobel who is blind but still has the heart and the drive and the desire to pull

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/blindsleddogleadsthepack

I know there is a push by some to ban the Iditarod and other races like it, IMO this would be a shame. What needs to be banned are those few who abuse their dogs, and they are becoming the minority. The dogs are doing what they were created to do and I think that if you asked most and they could speak you might be suprised by how many who would be willing to give up a life as a pet for the chance to pull a sled.

Hektor is from hard hunting lines and I suspect that even he would rather hunt than do the activities that we do. You can just tell by being around him that he was bred for the purpose of going head to head with a boar,

• Gold Top Dog

ottoluv
    With all due respect, it's hardly an act of god. If the dog was not involved in the race it likely wouldn't have happened. I think that it's great that people love and participate in different sports, but it's really important to realize the risk involved. It is abnormal to aspirate.

But the dog WAS involved in the race, and there simply is no one to blame. The death itself was an act of God - there was no negligence involved. It's a risky sport, but some are out to portray it as cruelty, and I don't buy that.

• Silver

HoundMusic

ottoluv

But the dog WAS involved in the race, and there simply is no one to blame. The death itself was an act of God - there was no negligence involved. It's a risky sport, but some are out to portray it as cruelty, and I don't buy that.

Perhaps we should reserve "risky sport" to those who willingly choose to participate, rather than those who are forced to... please don't argue the "they are bred for..." aspect. I am fervently involved in the quest to eliminate greyhound racing. I have argued with the best of them.

Any human endeavor which involves our unwilling, lesser creatures for the purpose of sport, entertainment, or greed is indefensible.