Daisy having kidney problems

• Gold Top Dog

Daisy having kidney problems

Daisy's Urea Nitrogen is high it's a 36 normal range is 6-31 and her Creatinine is high 2.5 normal range is 0.5-1.6. So now she is on Epakitin and Azodyl.So far she isn't really liking the Epakitin she won't eat all her food since I put that stuff on it and the Azodyl is being put into hotdogs so far no problems but her smart self will discover it eventually lol. Also I bought her a can of Hill's Prescription diet k/d she didn't like it at all I forgot that when she was younger I tried her on that because she did have kidney stones at one time. I asked him if I should feed her something else and he did suggest the k/d I wonder if she will like the kibble k/d.

First time going through this not sure what else I can do for her or should be doing for her. 

• Gold Top Dog

In general, a pet or person with kidney issues needs to increase fluid intake.  So maybe feeding her canned food / wet food would be a good idea.

• Gold Top Dog
    Talk to your vet about doing sub-cutaneous fluids -- it's like an elementary form of dialysis.  You get lactated ringers solution and hose/needle kits and you do it at home (you put the needle under the skin in various places over her body) -- it can help reduce toxicity and keep her more comfortable
    • Gold Top Dog

Feeding her a diet with less phosphorus will help; one of the meds you're trying to give her is a phosphorus binder.  This site lists commercial foods lower in phosphorus, most of them are not prescription foods and she may like them better;

DogAware.com Health: Medical Treatment for Dogs with Kidney Disease

It also has a lot of good information about kidney disease in dogs. Fish oil helps the kidneys, so you could try adding some to her food. Make sure her blood pressure is normal. High blood pressure is hard on the kidneys.

• Gold Top Dog

Be very careful about being pushed to use low-protein diets.  That is old-school thinking about how to provide a low-phosphorus diet and to "protect" the kidneys.

Protein does not damage the kidneys and protein is needed for canine good health.  With advanced kidney problems a diet of high-quality, low phosphorus protein will keep the dog more comfortable.

Again - you want low phosphorus, not low protein. However, you may reach a point where you need a moderate-protein diet rather than a high-protein diet to control the phosphorus levels.  It all depends on how the kidneys are doing in removing phosphorus from the blood. 

Low protein diets can actually lead to malnutritionl!

Have you had a full tick-panel done to see if parasites could be causing kidney problems?

Good luck!

• Gold Top Dog

Not sure if tick panel was done.  I know her senior panel was done.  I'm thinking of looking elsewhere for a vet.