Question on flaxseed oil

• Gold Top Dog

Question on flaxseed oil

I know that dogs who are really allergic to chicken can react to chicken fat because it is almost impossible to ensure that the meat is not mixed in.

But what about  a dog that can't have flaxseed? Is flaxseed oil refined enough that a dog won't react to it.

I'm asking because I want to add some canned food to Jetta's meals, and I found some brands that she can have, but they all seem to have flaxseed oil in them. 

• Gold Top Dog

That's a good question, and I think the only way to know for sure is to try it (as long as it's an "itchy" allergy, not a life-threatening allergy). I would think that flaxseed oil is entirely protein free, and therefore fine for dogs allergic to flax. But who knows.

• Gold Top Dog

The more refined an oil or fat is, the less chance of an allergic reaction according to studies on PubMed. There's a good study concerning people with peanut allergies; most of the people tested were able to eat products made with peanut oil that was well refined without any reaction.  If you're certain she's allergic to it though, you may want to avoid it. Jessie's allergic to salmon and I asked Monica Segal about adding salmon oil to her food. She said it's not a good idea no matter how well refined it is. Evanger's makes canned meats without any additional ingredients;

http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/gamemeats.html

And so does Wellness;

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_can_index.html
    • Gold Top Dog

I would not risk it. Flax seed meal and the oil is very similar, just that the whole seed is ground instead of pressed. Good flax oil is usually cold pressed ? And very unstable and needs refrigeration. I believe it's not cooked or it would lose any benefit it would have. But who knows what you get in DOG FOOD.

Many people believe their dogs are allergic to flax.. When in all likelihood they are not.  Flax and fish oil should have the opposite affect on your dog.. But if a true allergy do not feed. Use fish oil for omega 3.

• Gold Top Dog

Monica Segal always told ME to be sure **not** to heat flax oil (it changes it somehow).  And the cold-pressing that human supplement companies do to preserve flax oil uses a chemical most dogs are ultimately sensitive to.  Solid gold's flax oil is processed an entirely different way. 

I wouldn't use flax *oil* if the dog is allergic to flax -- too close.

• Gold Top Dog

Heating an unrefined oil causes oxidation - heavily oxidized oils are not good for you for a number of reasons.

Ben can have a very limited amount of flax oil, but not the seed.  I never understood this until I studied more closely what allergies were and the fact that true allergies require a protein to react to.  Ben's sensitivities, therefore, to vegetable oils, probably have to do with an inability to process ALA, rather than any allergy to canola, sunflower seeds, etc.  Most of the time foods that use these oils are using them to raise the fat levels in the food and balance OFAs.  That's fine for most dogs but Ben needs animal sourced fats.  Without them he starts getting really itchy.

However, oils can contain minuscule amounts of the protein from which they were sourced.  Giving Ben anything with chicken fat is a sure road to the emergency clinic.  Anything sourced from soybeans (oil or isolate) guarantees several days of itchy misery for him.  And if I'm not paying attention and give him something with flaxseed oil several days in a row, he'll wake up scratching and chewing one evening and for about a week afterwards.