Frankly, I can **never** bring myself to put *water* of any sort in the ear. I get 'water in the ear' all the time **myself** and I just can't do it -- whether it's with vinegar or alcohol I just can't.
However, my vet (my regular vet) actually gives out the Blue Power recipe for folks tight on money because he's seen how well it works. I actually use it in **MY OWN** ears pretty much every week because I seem to get water in my ears at least once or twice a week (and it gets sore, etc. etc. etc.)
Plain alcohol DOES sting a bunch.... alchol mixed with the gentian violet and the boric acid *does not* hurt at all. It will heal the outer ear if they've scratched it but it soothes SO instantly that it just plain makes the head-shaking go away. The boric acid is a calmative/soothant. It's oldtimey, yes.
Now -- I actually emailed this lady and raised the question of a deeper bacterial infection (I would particularly have had a hissy fit because a vet who had NOT seen this dog, and it was coming from a *bad* situation anyway told her they didn't want to see it??? NOPE -- I'd be looking for a new vet).
Chlorhexaderm (the blue stuff you get from the vet) **will** cause deafness if there has been a perforation of the ear drum. But generally alcohol won't do that and my vet was happy to have me use it (Billy *had* a perforated ear drum before we ever got him so that was a big concern). Billy's ears were SO bad they were swelled shut. But we got them OK and they remained PERFECT forever after.
But we KNEW that because we had him **seen** by a competent vet who did a deep and thorough exam, and who actually did a culture in house and then a culture and sensitivity because of all the bacteria he found. That's why I raised the issue of a bacterial infection up in the thread.
If you do the blue power recipe for two weeks and you still have PAIN (if you touch behind his ears does he wince or cry? does he NOT want to be touched on his head? does he sporadically cry out?? can you palpate behind the ear and he pulls away from you??) VET **NOW**.
I'd prefer to see you go *now* as Janice says -- but I've also been in that place where I just can't swing it financially and the Blue Power will heal if it IS just yeast and it won't hurt. If it's bacterial, it's likely that it's been there for a while so honestly? You GOTTA find out for sure. It won't go away -- it WILL continue to grow, get worse and can actually ultimately kill if it abscesses and ruptures into the brain. Not a nice thot but it's true.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller