Swollen Hock - Buddy

• Gold Top Dog

Swollen Hock - Buddy

What do you think of this?  Dr. Knapp took some fluid out of here and saw a lot of inflammatory cells.  Took an exray too, but all ok there, she was looking for something tumorous.  Its seems very red to me; and I wonder if Buddy should be on antibiotics; in addition to the daily Prevacox for a week.

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/barhenslee/DSC_3620.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/barhenslee/DSC_3621.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/barhenslee/DSC_3615.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/barhenslee/2011-07-23080554.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

antibiotics are for bacterium right? If it were a bite, or something "sudden" like that, they'd really not help. If it's a strain, or sprain causing infammation...ditto. If it's a result of atrophy or inactivity or circulation...ditto again. I wouldn't rush to put him on those UNLESS, he is running a fever, there is pus, or other signs of a bacterial infection?

I'd be more thinking...anti inflammatories than antibiotics.

• Gold Top Dog
    ok, that makes me feel better.  We came to the conclusion that he had likely injured himself.  She did tell me anti inflammatories for a week (Prevacox).
    • Gold Top Dog

I agree that anti-biotics wouldn't likely help.  Do you think he would tolerate a little "cold" therapy?  Like a bag of frozen peas on the affected area while he gets a message ???

• Gold Top Dog
    I've been putting warm compresses on it...thinking it would soothe.  You think I should apply cold?
    • Gold Top Dog

cold if he'll tolerate it -- and as long as there's nothing 'open' use the White Flower Oil -- it will help but I bet he doesn't want it rubbed!

You might get some yucca (freezer section of the grocery store where the Spanish/ethnic stuff is -- you can get it peeled and in chunks - far easier than peeling yourself!) -- put it in quite a bit of water and cook in a slow cooker for a LONG time -- let it literally cook to "goo" -- remove the strings and then add to his food.  It's a good extra anti-inflammatory (won't over-do it with the Previcox tho) that's well absorbed.

Was it red like that when the vet saw it?  It's unusual to see something that red & I'd want to make sure the vet knew about it.  Is it actually *hot* to the touch?

• Gold Top Dog
    No, it didn't look this red when it was shaved and the vet looked at it.  That's why I became so concerned this weekend.
    • Gold Top Dog

The redness/bruising may be from getting the samples out of the swelling.  I know that both Bevo & Chyna bruise when they have cytology samples taken.

I come from a horse background so I hydro everything.  If we have a bite, sting, laceration/puncture or some type of soft tissue injury to one of our dogs, they get 10-15 minutes of water, either from the water hose or the shower head, splashed on the affected area twice a day until they are normal or the wound is healed.

• Gold Top Dog
    The cold will help with inflammation.   How does he look this morning ?
    • Gold Top Dog

The red might also be razor or clipper burn. Sometime the heat from a pair of clippers esp over a bony area can make a red area I am pretty sure?

Hope it's better soon!

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks guys!  No change in the redness.  I had to go into the office today.  But, I'll try the cool water therapy this evening. 

• Gold Top Dog

It looks better this evening, not quite as red.  That thing is hard...like a big ball of bone.  We have an ice pack on it now.

He didn't eat much today.  He is typically a poor eater in the mornings.  Then evenings, he makes up for it.  But, tonight he barely ate 1 cup.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    The red might also be razor or clipper burn...

I was thinking the same thing, Gina. 

Hopefully the ice, etc will take the swelling down.

• Gold Top Dog

Poor Buddy!  I hope it's the razor/clipper burn, too.  Ruby's belly was very red and rashy looking for close to 2 weeks after her spay surgery - the whole shaved area looked like razor burn.  Hopefully the ice and/or cold water rinse will help cool off any irritation, as well as reduce some swelling.  A gentle hug for Buddy!

• Gold Top Dog

Oh dear.  Bud Man, eat!!!  Barb, please give him a kiss on his head & some belly rubs from me.