Keeps POOPING on the Cement

• Gold Top Dog
    I agree with Xeph.  This dog should be well enough trained that he's not escaping if he is a Police K9.  The only one of mine that has ever gone over a fence is my girl and that's only when she's been looking for me.

You really should talk to your neighbor about his dog jumping your fence.  Every place that I ever lived in CA there were the big wooden privacy fences, so if that's the case, he might have a dog house or something to close to the fence that's making it easy to jump over....regardless, he *could* hurt himself on the landing and if he IS in fact a K9 officer, he's far too valuable for the neighbor to put him in jeopardy that way.
    • Gold Top Dog
    we did tell the officer, and he said he has been jumping the fence since we had that heat wave...  as far as the fence goes, it's a pretty high fence.  I don't know how he does it, but he does it...
    • Gold Top Dog
    as far as the fence goes, it's a pretty high fence.  I don't know how he does it, but he does it...

If this dog is trained for Patrol work, scaling high fences shouldn't and obviously isn't hard.  These animals are trained to scale fences, high walls, etc etc without any aid from the handler unless it is a slick wood wall or brick wall that the dog can't get a grip on.

I'd talk to the officer again, and if that doesn't work, talk to the department, because these animals cost thousands of dollars to import and train, and if the officer doesn't keep this dog in a kennel run, he should be kept in the house and outside only when supervised.

I also wonder how well trained that dog is at all if he's jumping fences when his master isn't around
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, DUH!!  Of course they are trained to go over those high fences.  Not sure where my brain was.  BUT they should be trained NOT to go over them in a home setting.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Here's my thought-he used to have all hard dirt to do his business on, now he has a choice between concrete and grass.  It makes sense to me that the concrete is more similar to the surface of the hard dirt that he is used to as opposed to grass.  You may need to work on training him that it's okay to go in the grass.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd actually prefer the cement. Much easier to scoop and sterilize. I used to have a large area of gravel and I liked the fact that the dogs preferred to do their business there. Poop was easy to find, and every so often I'd wash down the area with laundry detergent with eco-safe bleach.

If you do want him to do his business elsewhere, you'll have to teach him to do it and supervise every bowel movement for a good while until he has learned to prefer the new surface.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks, Yeah, I'll will walk him on the dirt after he eats so i can watch him poop and i'll will give him lots of praise... Will see what happens.