Is Trifexis safe?

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Is Trifexis safe?

Someone posted on FB that the product was making dogs very sick and some had even died. Trifexis is what they gave me for Shane and he didn't have any problems after taking it. Has anyone heard anything?
    • Gold Top Dog

Yikes - I didn't hear about deaths related to Trifexis.  That's what we give Ruby, so I'll be interested in the responses.  We were told she might vomit after taking it the first time, but she didn't, and we've given it to her monthly since last May. 

We used to give Tonka Interceptor every month without any problems.  We only gave him Frontline when flea risk was high.  Our vet recommended Trifexis for Ruby (I guess it wasn't available when Tonka was alive).  I hadn't heard anything bad about then.

• Gold Top Dog

Here's the link that someone posted on FB - http://www.change.org/petitions/fda-elanco-recall-the-preventative-dog-tablet-trifexis

I'm hoping it's more hype than fact but after the food recalls, I'm starting to pay more attention to these kinds of posts.

• Gold Top Dog
    I didn't look at that link, Cathy but I will.  Just wanted to say that all four of my dogs have been taking Trifexis since a few months after it was introduced.  It is not recommended for dogs who have seizure disorders.   The active ingredients in Trifexis have been on the market for quite some time. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just read that link.  It's not something I'm going to worry about.  There will always be dogs who have bad reactions to some products.  It's often not determined  whether a particular product caused the problem.  I'll do some more research for my own peace of mind but just based on this one person's claims, I'm not going to stop using it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks Jackie. That's kind of what I was thinking too. I found a recent thread on this forum and no one seemed to be having a problem. I was just surprised when I saw it on the Homeward Bound FB page and it was posted by one of the volunteers I work with. All the dogs out there are on Trifexis. I'm going to ask if they have any concerns when I'm out there tomorrow. They have a great vet on staff and with that many dogs, I'm sure they pay attention to possible problems.
    • Gold Top Dog

Just like human medications, there will always be side effects.  Some are more serious than others and some people and some dogs can't tolerate certain side effects.  I wish we didn't ever have to give our dogs any sort of drug but I weigh the risks with each medication based on the available scientific research, and make a decision.  I think it's wrong for people to panic others based on their own limited experiences and knowledge but it's very common on the internet.  It's always possible that some day one of my dogs will have a bad reaction to a drug but if I  suspected a specific drug or product killed my dog I'd have a necropsy done to try and determine the cause of death.  Assumptions and accuasations are easy to make but not always easy to confirm. 

The most common side effect with Trifexis is vomiting.  I watch my dogs closely after they are given their monthly dose to make sure I don't see any side effects that might require veterinary attention.  None of them has ever shown any signs of a problem and I hope that continues to be the case.

• Gold Top Dog

Not meaning to hijack and with a dumb question, but what is Trifexis? Embarrassed

• Gold Top Dog
    tiffy

Not meaning to hijack and with a dumb question, but what is Trifexis? Embarrassed

It's a HW, flea, tick and intestinal parasite preventative or at least that's what I think it is.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Trifexis is not a tick repellant.  It's contains two active ingredients. spinosad + milbemycin oxime.  Spinosad is to control fleas and the milbemycin oxime is to kill heartworms and it also kills hookworm, roundworm and whipworms. Spinosad is the ingredient in the flea control called Comfortis. Spinosad is a biologically derived insecticide. Milbemycin oxime is the same drug used in Sentinel and Interceptor for heartworm and internal parasite control.
    • Gold Top Dog

Basically like Heartguard?

• Gold Top Dog

I have read on different forums of dogs throwing up after taking it, but most have no problme.  I only have one problem with it.  Honey has been on Interceptor and just had her lat pill on the 1st and I hae to get something else befroe June 1.  This will most likely be my choice.

BUT, Honey rarely has a flea.  If we see a flea or she scratches, we give her the Comfortis for fleas.  However, it is only about 3 times a year.  I hate giving it to her via the Trifexis every month when it is not needed.  But I guess until Interceptor comes back, tht will be what she gets ech month.

• Gold Top Dog

Is it safe for herders?

• Gold Top Dog

It's milbemycin, Tiffy -- which is what was in Interceptor.  The "different" thing is it has Spinosad in it (which is what Comfortis is) for fleas -- that part of it is systemic.

Spinosad is not indicated for seizure dogs or dogs prone to seizures.  It's the heartworm preventive drug that is linked to problems iwth herders and it's milbemycin that IS safe for herders (as opposed to ivermectin which is not.)

• Gold Top Dog
    My dogs are on it they haven't gotten sick except Daisy when I think I forgot to give her food with the pill which is what you're suppose to do so that they don't get sick. As I notice lately the dogs seems to be scratching more this month.