When do puppies eyes usually change color?

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

When do puppies eyes usually change color?

Hey guys! So I'm sure some of you have seen my Simba boy. If not I'll put in a pic:

That's my handsome boy. :) Anyway, so he's 11 weeks now, and I was curious when dog's eyes change color? I'm kind of hoping they'll stay this color of blue for two reasons. 1. They're same color as mine, which I find so nifty. 2. They certainly make him stand out. 

One of his eyes is completely blue while the other has a bit of brown on the bottom:

It's been that way since we got him 2 1/2 weeks ago though. So yeah, any ideas on when puppies eyes usually change color? 

• Gold Top Dog

I might be wrong, but I think that half brown/blue eye will probably stay 2 colors, I dont know if they will change of not. His eyes are pretty bright, it might be a breed thing? All puppys ive seen normally dont have that bright blue of eyes, and by 5-6 months they are "normal" colored.

• Gold Top Dog

Spazzy

I might be wrong, but I think that half brown/blue eye will probably stay 2 colors, I dont know if they will change of not. His eyes are pretty bright, it might be a breed thing? All puppys ive seen normally dont have that bright blue of eyes, and by 5-6 months they are "normal" colored.

That would be so nifty if his eye stayed those two colors. I saw a picture of this herding dog(name slips me right now) that had both eyes with brown and blue. He's a mutt so I have no idea what breeds his exactly. :-/ Someone said husky but there are some other breeds that are prone to blue eyes as well. 

• Gold Top Dog

His eyes will stay the color they are now.

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

His eyes will stay the color they are now.

Yay! :D He'll be my first blue-eyed dog. :)

• Gold Top Dog

Yep - usually the changing occurs between 3-6 weeks. pretty boy you've got there!

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

Yep - usually the changing occurs between 3-6 weeks. pretty boy you've got there!

Aw thanks! :D I won't let him know that, as his ego is already too big. :P

• Gold Top Dog

Pups are born so immature that's why they are born deaf and blind. *which is why the eyes aren't open at birth -- they literally aren't mature enough to function as an organ).

It's the pigment cells in the ears that complete the neural transmitters for hearing to take place.   And pigment continues to develop weeks 3-6 (a range) but it's simply a maturation thing.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs

Pups are born so immature that's why they are born deaf and blind. *which is why the eyes aren't open at birth -- they literally aren't mature enough to function as an organ).

It's the pigment cells in the ears that complete the neural transmitters for hearing to take place.   And pigment continues to develop weeks 3-6 (a range) but it's simply a maturation thing.

Hm that's pretty darn interesting. I knew they were born blind but I didn't know they were deaf too. Thanks for that tidbit!

• Gold Top Dog

My Pint had a half blue half brown eye.  The other was all brown.  The blue in her eye though, was that same blue your dog's eyes are. 

• Gold Top Dog

Sweet dog! Buddy has very similar eyes.

"> 

• Gold Top Dog

denise m

Sweet dog! Buddy has very similar eyes.

"> 

Thanks hun! Aw he's so adorable! They do have similar eyes! :D  Yay for blue/blue-brown eyed dogs!

• Gold Top Dog

Aww your dog is adorable! Rickards has half blue/ brown eye too, its called a Heterochromia Iridis. Rickards blue is in the inside part of his left eye, heres a picture of his eye:

http://kyndred-spirits.deviantart.com/art/Say-Cheese-133135335  (click on his picture to get the full view) Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

I would say that most likely Simba's eyes will stay blue. I have seen Weims eyes change from blue to greenish or grayish as older puppies but not most other dogs. It is true that puppies are born blind with under developed eyes, deaf with under developed ears and really pretty helpless overall. I suspect that works out for wild canids because a female can not afford to be pregnant for too long.