Doberman attacks family - Pit Bull defends them and kills the attacker

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: chewbecca

ORIGINAL: ron2

They WILL NOT allow Kain to be PTS and as of right now, have been assured enough that it will NOT happen.

It's good to read that news. And my condolences to the family and to Kain for being in this ordeal. FWIW, Mom, children, and Kain did everything right. And I certainly wouldn't second-guess what Kain should have done. Hopefully, the other mother will receive some more education before she gets her next dog. Although I'm a bit mystified how she could let such an "expensive" dog be so ill-guarded. He could have easily been hit by a car while charging across and down the street. Anyway, good luck to you and your friends and Kain.

unfortunately, she has 3 other dobes in her possession.[:o]

Thank you all, and Callie, wonderful post!

Are the other 3 potentially dangerous? 

• Gold Top Dog
    Great post Callie! I think you have it right on the nail!
    Years ago an Akita lived next to us..hated my bully type dog...he accidentally got out the front door as we were walking past the house...went right for Sammys neck,,,,picked her up and shook. Between his owner punching him in the face and side to get him off Sammy, and me pushing at his face (yes I got nipped a bit) to save Sammy...we got him off in time. He missed her jugler by 1/2 an inch.   That is what dogs do.  They were not playing. I don't think a dog could possibly reason "I think I will try to scare him off!"  
    What a sad and unfortunate situation...really, even for the owner of the dobie. THAT dog was being a dog too, one that probably wasn't brought up properly-not his fault.   I sure hope that the owner of that dobie learned a lesson and will take care of her others properly.  I hope the time goes my quickly for Kain...and that this doesn't have any lasting effect or after repercussions.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Bobsk8

ORIGINAL: chewbecca

They WILL NOT allow Kain to be PTS and as of right now, have been assured enough that it will NOT happen.

It's good to read that news. And my condolences to the family and to Kain for being in this ordeal. FWIW, Mom, children, and Kain did everything right. And I certainly wouldn't second-guess what Kain should have done. Hopefully, the other mother will receive some more education before she gets her next dog. Although I'm a bit mystified how she could let such an "expensive" dog be so ill-guarded. He could have easily been hit by a car while charging across and down the street. Anyway, good luck to you and your friends and Kain.

unfortunately, she has 3 other dobes in her possession.[:o]

Thank you all, and Callie, wonderful post!

Are the other 3 potentially dangerous?

I don't think so. Apparently this one was kept outside and the others were kept inside. If that tells you anything.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ok....not trying to drag this on :), just clarifying - I  was not trying to question whether Kain's actions were "right" or not - heck, he protected his family - that's all that matters! I was just trying to learn a little more about the inside thinking, mind, of a dog and I did learn some new stuff. So thanks to those who made this a learning opportunity, if anything good came out of this ordeal... : /

Kain is in my thoughts, please let us know Chewbecca if anything else happens pertaining to this incident. I don't know what I'd do if my dogs were locked up, even temporarily. : ( My heart goes out to Kain's family.
    • Puppy
    Tell you what, if EVER a scenario like this happens when Lori is walking Willow, I would hope to God for the same result. My wife's safety and the safety of humans in general must be first, no matter WHAT!

As HORRIBLE as it is, it quickly could have been MUCH worse.

What if the Doberman had been the victor?? The woman and the CHILDREN would have been NEXT!!! I shudder to think of THAT scenario, and the Doberman would have been put to sleep at that point for sure as a result. HE'D still be DEAD!

There's allot of learning to be done here and it seems that the Doberman's owner will NOT benefit from what could be learned from her mistakes at all. Excepting maybe that a replacement will cost her more MONEY!

The dog should have NEVER been entrusted to a SMALL 10 year old child especially when the GATE was OPEN!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    All I have to say is that we should all have pepper spray AND know how to use it. I backpack in the parks here and I know what pepper spray can do for a charging grizzly, let alone dogs. I've used it on dogs before--both when I've had a dog and when I haven't had one. There are classes that teach you to use it, too.

• Gold Top Dog
    Just a little food for thought - I think it's entirely likely that Kain, being a dog, is a little better at reading dog behavior and intent than a group of people on a forum who only have descriptions of the incident to go by.  I'm inclined to believe he acted accordingly.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Nikki_Burr

Just a little food for thought - I think it's entirely likely that Kain, being a dog, is a little better at reading dog behavior and intent than a group of people on a forum who only have descriptions of the incident to go by.  I'm inclined to believe he acted accordingly.

Excellent Post!!! I guess what bothers me about some of the posts on this thread, is the second guessing or Monday morning quarterbacking that the Pit Bull is getting regarding his actions.  If the Doberman owner was going to try and blame this on the Pit Bull instead of her dog, that is probably the same "logic"   that she would use.
    • Gold Top Dog
    when I belonged to my college gun club.

When I went through training to get a permit to carry a gun in certain circumstances, we did not shoot to wound. We aimed for center of mass, usually a kill shot. I still had for some time, the paper target from my second requalification. 5 holes in the head, 5 holes center of the chest, 30 rounds of ammo. I kept shooting through the same holes. I scored a 145 out of 150. In order to shoot a specific limb for injury usually requires a sniper with a scoped rifle.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have not read this entire post,but for anyone who thinks the PIT was overly aggressive,I am going to have to guess that they also do not have kids of their own..

I would hope the owner of the Dobes does not let their dogs have free access to the public sidewalk ,and would like to think the dog "got away"from her.

I do not think the PB acted overly aggressive.
    • Gold Top Dog

when I belonged to my college gun club.

When I went through training to get a permit to carry a gun in certain circumstances, we did not shoot to wound. We aimed for center of mass, usually a kill shot. I still had for some time, the paper target from my second requalification. 5 holes in the head, 5 holes center of the chest, 30 rounds of ammo. I kept shooting through the same holes. I scored a 145 out of 150. In order to shoot a specific limb for injury usually requires a sniper with a scoped rifle.

Exactly.

Paula
    • Puppy

Any dog owner that thinks about the price of the dog rather than the emotional loss, should in my opinion, not be allowed to keep dogs. Dogs have over thousands of years built up an amazing relationship with man. It makes me sick to think that the first concern from the owner of the attacking dog was "Geez, here's a chance to make some money", the women's a reptile. Kain did what any "family member", would do if they can and thats defend other family members from attack. If I was to say anything to Kain, it would be "Good boy, good boy its ok now"

• Gold Top Dog

First of all I am very glad Kain and his family are okay and I hope he returns soon, Im sad the dobie is passed on but Kain protected his family and did right by them.

I would like to say the family should be VERY careful with Kain because many eyes are going to be on him bc people heard of the incident. Remember dogs sexually mature usually between 10 mnths and 2 years so when he is around other dogs be sure to supervise so nothing bad occurs, such as a noisy regular dog scuffle because those nieghbors will try to make Kain look bad at any reason i bet. I AM NOT saying this bc hes a pit, I am saying this bc he is young and they bring him around other dogs, so they should be aware that him maturing MIGHT change his perspective on other mature dogs. I read they bring him around other dogs and even had a small dog nip him, that is why im bringing this to attention.

I just dont want anything bad to happen because he will be viewed as a hero and maybe forget to be viewed as a dog by the family. He is a handsome dog and Im not trying to be a turd, just wanted to add a little bit.

• Gold Top Dog

in case no one noticed, this thread is 3 years old. Check the post date......

• Gold Top Dog

Haha thank you hun, did not realize that!!!!!