Her nail is split (Updated with pics)

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Her nail is split (Updated with pics)

Hi.   Today I noticed that Bailey was licking her foot.  Upon closer inspection, I found that one of her nails on her back foot is split in half...  so the top and bottom are separate and it looks like the quick may be exposed (dark pink visible).   It is hard to get a good look at it, she is squeamish about her feet in general and has long hair that conceals everything very well!  

It seems to be annoying her, she keeps licking and chewing at her foot...   It doesn't seem to hurt her to walk, she puts weight on the foot, isn't limping or anything.    I am going to call the vet in the morning, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice in the meantime. 

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

That happened to our dal this summer. She kept licking it and chewing it for two days and it finally fell off. It grew back fine and we never had to take her to the vet.    Good luck.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the response.  She is making me a nervous wreck since she won't leave it alone!   If she is still fooling with it in the morning I think I'll call the vet, if for nothing but my piece of mind.

• Gold Top Dog
    If you have kids, you could slip an old kid's sock over it to distract her. Unless you have really small feet and then you could use your own sock :)
    • Gold Top Dog

Update on Bailey's poor little toe nail:

I called the vet yesterday morning.  They said to get a e-collar if she won't leave it alone and to bring her in if it gets infected.   Well, she hasn't been leaving it along so we might have to get an e-collar...  she has pulled some fur off of her foot, it is very sad.   She has a bone now so she is focused on that instead of her foot...

So my next question is, how will I be able to tell if the nail is infected??  It is split completely (top and bottom separate with the quick exposed). 

• Gold Top Dog

If it were ME, I'd get a second opinion. I'd take her to the vet because it's obviously bothering her and it just seems silly to wait until it got infected. What is the saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...?

• Gold Top Dog

If it were ME, I'd keep her from licking it and wash it with soap, water, and some sort of antiseptic a few times a day and wait for it to improve. Smile But if you're worried, definitely, take her to the vet - I consider the office visit fee to be my "no worrying" fee. I pay $30 so I don't have to worry about it.

• Gold Top Dog

Here is a picture of her broken nail.  You can also see the rawness on the other toe from chewing.   Opinions? 

• Gold Top Dog

I would take her to the vet,that is quite raw looking. Once it's infected, that really would be painful for her.

• Gold Top Dog

I think is better to take her to the vet... I'm sure the cure is going to be quick now. But I don't think is a good idea to leave it like this and wait more.

• Gold Top Dog

.:.

• Gold Top Dog

I had two dogs split nails, both times the vet removed the nail, one was surgical the other we numbed the foot and cut it off. In both instances it grew back. You don't want an infection, that to me could lead to more serious issues. Go to a vet, your dog is uncomfortable.

When the vet cut off Belle's toenail (non surgical) she was running around no issues immediately after. Of course her foot was numb but when it did wear off Belle was fine. We just had to keep it clean, no bandage no nothing. Shadows was split below the skin so hers had to be taken in surgery. She was bandaged for a few days post op but she never limped and never seemed to care.

• Gold Top Dog

Maxs Mom

I had two dogs split nails, both times the vet removed the nail, one was surgical the other we numbed the foot and cut it off. In both instances it grew back. You don't want an infection, that to me could lead to more serious issues. Go to a vet, your dog is uncomfortable.

When the vet cut off Belle's toenail (non surgical) she was running around no issues immediately after. Of course her foot was numb but when it did wear off Belle was fine. We just had to keep it clean, no bandage no nothing. Shadows was split below the skin so hers had to be taken in surgery. She was bandaged for a few days post op but she never limped and never seemed to care.

Exactly.  When River split his nail, exactly as your dog did we went to the Vet.  He decided not to remove the nail but clip it as much as posible and crazy glue it!  Gave him meds for secondary infection.  He licked it constantly, don't think the Vet stressed over that.  But it wasn't long, week or so tha the nail glue came undone.  He trimmed it more and glued it again, it was a long process - good month and half before he was really better.   He caught it a couple of times and broke it open, made it bleed etc. and I had to restrain him from playing with my other dogs during this time or he would hurt it.  He limped on and off for the whole time too - it is a horrible injury for a dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Bailey has an appointment at the vet tomorrow morning at 8:40.  I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the advice!

• Gold Top Dog

So we took Bailey to the vet this morning.  They cut down the nail, wrapped it up and put her on antibiotics.  She has to wear an e-collar for at least a week...  we go back on Friday to get it checked out.

Here is a picture of bandaged cone-head Bailey.