Fish Oil supplements... you use them?

• Gold Top Dog
    Dancer was on fish oil, vitamin E and Ester-C.  She lived for three years with kidney disease, while most dogs don't make it past a year or so once they are diagnosed.  I got the fish oil caps online from Berte's Naturals.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dogs like Salmon Oil. I like the kind with the pump as it is much neater. You can also use human fish oil capsules which are cheaper and work well.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    interestingly I give Bugsy the Spring Valley - whole - and he seems to be benefiting.  and I've never seen it come out the other end.  He already thinks its a treat so if I pop it he'll be real excited as mackerel is HIGH on his list!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    why?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I believe that fish oil uses vitamin E in the body... therefore if you only give the fish oil its possible to deplete the vitamin E.  So, you should also supplement with the E.  Ive just always heard that you must give them together, so I do.[:)]

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    thanks I'm new to all this canine health stuff so I appreciate tapping others knowledge.[sm=happy.gif]
    • Silver
    Our vet recommended Safflower or Sunflower oil for our Shadow's itching problem.  We have found that the Safflower Oil works the best and gives him a nice shiny coat.  You can get it at your local grocery store.
    • Silver
    I give my dog the same fish oil caps and do the same thing. It doesn't hurt to give them more though. My big dogs ( 75+ lbs each ) get 6 caps a day and the small dogs get 2 and the cats get 2.  They all have gorgeous coats. Granted they eat TWO and that has salmon oil in it already. I also give them olive oil every day as well... fish oil AM and olive oil PM.   The dose for humans is usually 1 or 2 caps but my holistic physician told me I should be taking 5-7 a day.

I don't recall PetsMart or Petco selling ANY kind of Salmon oil or I would have been buying it. I've never seen Grizzley sold at either. I know they sell it at PetfoodDirect.com and many of the online stores.  I just don't think it's worth $7+ to get it shipped.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I also give Prince Spring Valley and he eats them whole. I have never seen them in his stools and his coat is so much softer and shinier...I don't see how he cannot be benefiting from the oil. Wouldn't the stomach acid disolve the capsule just the same as it does in humans? Isn't dog stomach acid supposed to be stronger anyways...since they can digest raw bones and what not?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Howdy, Caprice! [;)]

Thanks, all!  I'll put a call into the vet just to make sure about the Vitamin E--I had no idea about that.  Thanks!  My friend uses Grizzly and she says it worked wonder for her beagles skin and coats. 

If it's working so good for dogs, perhaps I should check out some oils for myself. [:D][8D]
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm confident he is digesting them - however the other day he discovered it in with his kibble and started chewing it, he now thinks its a treat in his kibble and looks for it first [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have heard that if you give dogs the capsule itself it just goes right through them and they don't benefit from the oil.

Nah, the stomach acid breaks that gelatin down, in no time.

My dogs chew fish oil capsules, anyways. They think they're treats.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Need advice..Would I just give 1 fish oil cap to a 10 pound Tzu...and how much vitamin E would I give? and do I have to give Vit E everyday or just a couple times a week thanks
    • Gold Top Dog
    Personally, I would give your 10 lb dog 100IU of the E 2x a day.  I would also give the fish oil 2x a day with the E.

ETA:  For 10 lbs maybe you can find a fish oil capsule with 500mg to give. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Loveukaykay...Thanks for the info