Chihuahua?

• Gold Top Dog

Chihuahua?

Call me crazy, but I'm honestly thinking about adding a Chihuahua to my family.  My best friend just got one and now it's reminding me why I love the breed so much!

(For those of you that remember when I had Possum, I know that situation didn't work out as well as I wished. I re-homed her after three months. She was aggressive to my other dogs and she was given to me by a friend [well, lets say EX friend] that neglected to tell me this! I used to love Chis before I got her. When I had her, my love for the breed almost turned into a distaste for the breed.)

Then, I realized that one dog was not a representation of this WONDERFUL breed! I feel personally ready for another dog, and I do think I want a Chihuahua.

Soooo any Chihuahua owners feel free to chime in with expierences and stories/ tips for this wonderful breed! I know I had one, but I dont think she was a very good rep. for the breed! Thanks!!

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck with your search! I have no advice because I'll never have any other dog, than a Corgi.

• Gold Top Dog

aggression IS common in the chi breed - do your research, and really understand the dog before you bring it home.

• Gold Top Dog

My Chihuahua is one of the calmest, laid back dogs I have ever met. However, she is older (around 8-9 years old we estimate). She's an absulote sweetheart and is FULL of spunk and personality. However, she isn't a huge fan of other dogs either. She spent most of her life in a puppy mill, though and I can only imagine that she has had many bad experiences with other dogs. That might be different for a younger, socialized Chi. I have never met a dog that made me laugh and smile so much. She has energy when she needs it, but overall, requires very little. Daisy is happiest sleeping under the covers or snuggled up to you on the couch. She is what I call a very low maintenance dog, especially compared to Penny, who NEEDS her exercise to burn off all her energy and more stimulation. She's very affectionate and greets you at the door with the cutest sounds and smiles. I was never a huge Chihuahua lover, but Daisy really has changed my mind. They're easy to care for, yet energetic/playful when you want them to be and very loving. I always thought they were snippy, stuck up yappers. However, Daisy only barks when she hears things outside or when the door bell rings. She has NEVER EVER snapped or growled at a human being. She WILL put Penny in her place when it need be and she can be protective over her food, but like I said, only with Penny, never humans. I think it has a lot to due with her past, as well. Good luck with the search for a new addition! =]

• Gold Top Dog

I didnt want one of those yappy little monster dogs when I got Kujo. So I took her everywhere. I had to teach her to speak because I do not like unnecessary barking and those were the 2 main things I was worried about bringing home a little dog. Socialized the crap out of her and taught her when it was appropriate to bark.

She took 2 years to house train. If it hadnt been for Samantha she would not be here because I got so frustrated with the house training with her. I still crate her when we're not home because no matter if we're gone 2 seconds or a couple hours she will pee in house. And I know she can hold it 8+ hours because she sleeps all night with Samantha without having to go out any.

She will be the first and only little dog I have. Nothing against her but I like to play with a dog that Im not afraid of hurting! Lol. But I didnt get her for myself. Got her for Samantha and its been a great choice on that part.

I do notice though she prefers to play with other Chihuahuas. She ignores any other dog she comes across. She loves to go for walks and riding in the child seat with Samantha on the bike. So dont think that their just little lap warmers.Stick out tongue

• Gold Top Dog

My Chi, Taco, is almost 5 years old and is my baby.  His personality falls more in line with a cat's: he'll do anything you want him to as long as HE wants to do it.  He's very smart and knows quite a few commands outside of sit and down.  He knows crawl, up (standing on his back feet), off, roll over, touch, and which one (paws the hand the treat is in).  He was quite stubborn to train because it took me forever to find his best motivator.  He does OK around strangers in public and will tolerate being petted, but he's quite protective of his family, and will bark when new people come to visit.  He usually warms up and calms down after he's met them a couple of times and understands they aren't a threat.  He's a very serious little guy and rarely plays other than doing his tricks for a treat.  He'd much rather find a spot of sun on the floor or curl up under the blankets in the bed.  He's tolerant of other dogs and has been great at teaching our new puppy bite inhibition - he lets him know very quickly that roughness is not to be tolerated.

I'll be honest, before I had a chihuahua no one could have convinced me that I would ever love one.  I counted them out as hateful little anklebiters.  But truth be told they are very sweet, loving, and loyal creatures once you have their trust, and I'm sure there will always be a chi in my life from now on!

• Gold Top Dog

Mechanical Angel -- let me ask YOU a couple of questions.

Are you still living at home? 

For how long?

How many of your current dogs would stay "home" if you moved away and how many would you take and be responsible for?

None of these are "you irresponsible person you" kind of questions -- HOWEVER, I learned a *very* hard lesson with my own "first" dog.  He was young (under a year) when I went to college -- but lo and behold -- by the time I got home HE was my **Parent's dog**!!!

MY plans completely fell apart.  They were willing for me to take him -- but honestly? He missed my folks too much.

My point is this -- if you are still living at home ... evaluate VERY VERY carefully what will happen when you get old enough to go on to college, or even eventually get married or move out/in with someone else. 

If you are young enough (and I honestly don't know you this well -- I'm not trying to be naggy here at all -- just food for thot, ok) -- but if you are young enough to still have several years AT home ... the consider this ****very**** carefully.

Because what happens if you need/want to leave home or go out on your own and you have SEVERAL animals that may need to depend on you -- and oops -- several of them may be of an age then to need significant vet care.

I can completely understand you wanting a chi -- in utter honesty I'm a small dog person myself. 

BUT ***BEWARE*** -- chis can be *extremely* expensive little dogs.

If you're talking about adopting a chi -- the health problems are nearly endless.  AND heartbreaking.  I have a very close friend who has done chi and pug rescue for many years. 

Chis are **very** prone to things like:  demodectic mange (bad breeding problem), epilepsy, hydrocephalus, knee problems, skin problems, and on and on it goes. Add that to the fact that there can be some really extreme temperament problems -- particularly with dogs of another size.

A **quality** pup would be extremely expensive.  

Some of these problems don't manifest right away -- but they can be incredibly expensive AND incredibly heart-wrenching.  Add any of them to the normal costs that you could be faced wtih in the normal course of aging of any of your other dogs??? Wow.

Like I said -- I'm not trying to be a spoilsport here -- but I know you claim three -- but if I remember correctly you are still entirely under your folk's roof? 

Don't forget -- small dogs live a long time -- sometimes up to 20 years.  Trying to imagine your life THAT far in advance is difficult -- and trying to get enough education so that you can afford to care for the dogs you have and want can be a big task. 

You already *know* the bad side of a chi -- but honestly, unless you go with an absolutely TOP quality breeder (and that is **expensive**) your experience is not far off the norm simply because the breed has been diluted with so many truly severe health issues that it's scarey.

I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here -- keep your dreams just a bit practical. 

In my case?  Pip stayed with my folks.  BUT ... the sad thing was my parents never believed in spending much of anything on vet bills.  So because I *had* to leave him at home he was actually very VERY short lived because they wouldn't afford what I would have.

Just offering some personal experience to help you make your decision.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't have a Chi, but in my experience, pet quality dogs from responsible breeders are less than many people assume. Less, certainly, than some fees at small dog rescues I have seen on Petfinder.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs
    Are you still living at home? 

I'm not living at home anymore! I do have my own house. Its a small-ish house yes, but definetly nothing to be ashamed of. It has a fenced front and back yard and very adequate living space. So, that wouldnt be an issue Smile

And yes, we dont know each other very well but just by reading some of your posts I kinda feel like I do know you! So, I know your not trying to nag at me, or anything like that! I appreciate the fact that you are giving me all this great advice!

Thankyou everybody! I'm still doing my research tho. Not quite sure yet, but I have quite a handful of dogs that I found on Petfinder that I'm thinking about.

As for the breeder thing, I'm not sure I WANT a puppy. I might go for an adult from a shelter. Ahh, the health problems though. Very scary. Decisons, decisions. I'm definetly taking everything into consideration though.  Thank-you!

• Gold Top Dog

There are often breeders with young adults available that didn't turn out for a breeding program, for whatever reason, but will still make FABULOUS pets. Maybe the bite went off by a tiny bit, or the coat is not quite thick enough, or the coloring is slightly off, so the dog is no longer show quality. Sometimes, they have dogs that've been returned, for various reasons, that they need homes for. A good breeder will take back any dog, at any time. If you find a breeder that you like, ask about adopting an adult. If they don't have one, they may know of one that will suite you.

• Gold Top Dog

I think Callie has made some VERY good points.

Kya isn't the best example of the breed, but I do have experience with multiple chihuahuas.  IME, they are not ones to take any 'crap' from other dogs, and they can have resource aggression. 

Kya is very much uninhibited by her size.  She will take on anything that she feels is a threat.  She is the most protective of my three dogs.

Her personality is HUGE.  She will do things to make me laugh.  She has a very large vocabulary (she knows every single word for a treat, including 'Hungry?';)

She's very sensitive to my moods.  When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I woke up with her sitting on my chest staring into my face.  She did her happy dance when I woke up.

She house-broke very quickly, and she is a very clean dog.  I completely trust her in the house.

Chis don't always like bigger dogs.  So I would be careful about adding one to  your pack.  They can be fearless and get hurt easily.  When I add a larger dog, I'm going to vet rescue dogs VERY carefully and pick one as safe as possible.  Even then, they will be separated when I'm not there.

• Gold Top Dog

My ex's mom has a pom/chi x, Buddy. Very cute dog, but... He has been babied, pampered, carried, catered to, etc... He has extreme resource guarding  issues, which include space issues. He is treated like a baby his entire 7 yrs. He has bitten and drawn blood also. He refuses to walk more than a couple feet, before he wants to be picked up and hes gladly accomodated. When someone tries to kiss or hug his mom he goes ballistic. This dog has ruined any interest in the breed for me. This is all what I've seen first hand.

P.S. He is also DA.  He tried going after Tootsie once. Hes used to all dogs backing down to him, but was in for a big surprise when Toots put him in his place.

• Gold Top Dog

How big is Bear?? I would never, ever own a TINY (>5) dog with a LARGE dog....accidents happen. Not saying Bear will be aggressive towards the Chi, but what if he steps on it? Chi's have fragile bones. I don't ever let Apollo interact with MIL's Chi (3lbs) because Apollo is over 100lbs, and when he's running he's like a train....or bull, lol...and I just wouldn't want a tiny dog to get a broken leg or worse because my dog was just running or something. And just remember why you rehomed Possum, I believe you said it wasn't the right breed for you (I definitely could be wrong here). Would I ever own another Cocker after Patty & Molson? No, they're good dogs- I love them more than anything, but they're not the right breed for me.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm re-thinking this a lot! I dont think I'm going to add another dog to my family. We are at a good dog limit right now, I guess.

The city of Lincoln has a 3 dog law but you can get a special permit which costs $100 to come out and inspect and $50 every year you have more than 3 dogs! Blehh, do I REALLY want to pay that?

Also, I thought about it alll day today and realized that I truly dont NEED another dog. Want one? Yes. But need one? No.

So, thanks for the advice guys but I'm not gonna do it!

• Gold Top Dog

BlackLabbie

How big is Bear?? I would never, ever own a TINY (>5) dog with a LARGE dog....accidents happen. 

I had Cheyanne,Lillie,Joker, and Fynn around Kujo! And lots of clumsy foster pups around her. She learned to stay out of the way after her accident with Jayde. Kujo was not gonna stop me from having my big dogs. I also have a 4 year old daughter that people would frown on also having a Chi around.

Just yesterday Kujo was sitting under the computer chair, where she isnt supposed to be under btw, and JJ scooted it up closer and landed on Kujo's leg. Luckily nothing was broken. So accidents can happen other ways.